sidewinder
Members-
Posts
3,170 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by sidewinder
-
I do like this program but it still doesnt suit our needs yet. I mentioned this in another thread a while ago - I want the AUP to show up on each logon if someone declines it. It defeats the point of our AUP if someone can decline, be logged off and then once logged on again is free to do what they like. We have nearly 2000 students so dealing with the refusals manually is a job we havent really got time for. In the next version, can there be an option to not create a file if it is declined? Which would have the effect of making the program show until it was accepted Pleeeease?
-
Id say it is too Someone else has probably posted it but I just used National Rail Enquiries - Official source for UK train times and timetables And as someone mentioned, buy a family railcard and it would be cheaper still
-
That's impossible. You must be lying. Kind Regards, Abbie Schubert
-
Oh really? I'd say posting the same thing 4 times is borderline spam. I think people probably would have seen just the one post
-
Depends how long it is till he wants to go...you can get good deals a whiel before, and normally some sort of family discount Just picked some random dates in Feb from Runcorn to Euston and its £78 for a family ticket (return) - probably not as cheap as driving no but not excessive and a lot less hassle Hotels I cant recommend so much - I rarely stay since Im quite close and if I do its a grotty place near Victoria But the general idea of a Travelodge outside central would be Ok. Again could be cheap if you do it in advance
-
If so, do you know what the default admin username and password is?? Canon engineer came and fitted 3 new ones yesterday, set up IP addresses on them but didnt leave any other details. Tried all the usual things but no luck We've got an iR3235, an iRC4580, and an iR7105, all are new so I assume they share a common default
-
Should I / Do I need to . . Configure my Dlink Switches?
sidewinder replied to jamin100's topic in Wireless Networks
Give them all static IP's - if they are able to be managed you should take advantage of that! Even if you dont want to do any configuration on them, its extremely useful to be able to ping them to verify connectivity -
Im not too bad at configuring it but Im getting myself confused over what I need to do here. We've just had an Aruba wireless system installed, and we purchased one licence for a remote AP, so the theory is, you plug it in at home, and can access the school network seamlessly Already we've hit a slight snag in that we're on a WAN, so I've got a public address translated to one of our WAN addresses. The final step though is to translate that WAN address to our internal address of our controller, 172.16.1.15 I assume, though I havent tried this yet, that traffic will hit our internet firewall looking for the WAN address (confusingly this is also in a 172 range, though with a /24 subnet) So how, in ISA server 2004, do I set up a rule/route to forward anything received from that address, to our Aruba controller internally? I could try and guess but as the only place I can try and connect is from home, its going to get a bit tedious going back and forth, so I would rather set it up 'properly' and then work out the snags after that Any help is appreciated
-
I looked into this too. The lottery can be applied for via an official site, so one has to assume these sites advertised are at best charging for something that is free, at worst are simply scams And yes, none of us are eligible anyway
-
yes, 3 months ago when it was originally on always wondered why they bother repeating stuff on channel 4, but obviously a lot of people dont watch E4! But it was excellent. As to whether anyone would survive, well as it showed there, only takes one idiot in a group and everyone is doomed Also begs the question in a situation like that, what would you survive FOR?
-
lol...at a guess I would just say that cant compete, as Aria can buy in such enourmous bulk and they obviously cant so they're trying to scare you off If the Aria ones are branded they'll be exactly the same as any others Sometimes is better to pay a bit more and support a smaller business though
-
Love it, though I dont eat it much anymore
-
I had a similar problem with my Hyundai Coupe when I had it, albeit not quite as bad as this. It would be jerky and lose power, even in higher gears Replaced the HT leads and it solved it
-
Ive got one connected to my work PC very useful in the holidays..works a treat But then I have got the luxury of an aerial socket next to my desk, I'd never try it with a portable aerial, certainly not the ridiculous thing they bundle with it Also, the software was buggy and crashed a lot, but a mate bought one and I used the software that came with his and its far better now
-
cheers for the suggestions guys I did try static IP which initially looked like it worked - connection made..but then all of a sudden disconnected I will try with no security next time, unfortuantely last time they had one of their laptops on waiting for an MSN message from their daughter in Aus, so I couldnt really make any wireless security changes. The MCE machine is a bit further away, but I've had the XP SP3 laptop up there next to it and that connects fine (albeit the signal is quite low) Might take a few USB extension cables and have the dongle down the bottom of the stairs...lol There is the option of moving the hub upstairs since theres a phone line there and it then wouldnt be a problem because it could be wired...but theres all the on demand TV stuff they want to use so it wouldnt be a permanent solution...bloody BT
-
Well I installed OS X, then imaged it again and it is now booting fine Doesnt look like the spinup time was the issue in this case
-
Bit more complicated than the last one though. Was virtually forced into going and helping a family friend over the holidays, just what I wanted to do with my time Hes recently been upgraded to the Home Hub version 2, and now one of his computers will not connect. They are all using BT Voyager 1055 USB wireless adapters. One computer is running Vista (works fine), one is running XP SP3 (works fine), and the other one is running XP MCE SP2 (doesnt work) First thing I did was notice that the problem machine was only running SP2, and as the encryption being used was WPA2, I knew there were issues before and that putting SP3 on there would solve it. It didnt. What happens is that it starts to connect, looks like it gains access but then fails to get an IP address. But I still think its a problem with WPA2. Ive tried with the crappy BT utility for the wireless (which is what the other computers use) and also using XP's WZC and no joy with either. As everything is set up the same, Im not sure what the problem can be. The USB adapter must support WPA2 or it wouldnt work in the other machines. XP SP3 must support is as another computer is running it (though the problem one is XP MCE rather than just XP) so I'm a bit stumped. Any ideas? When I go back Im going to take another USB adapter if I can borrow one or maybe even take a wireless PCI card I have spare, and possibly even an access point I can set up with WPA2 so I can see whether it connects to that. Worth downgrading the wireless security to just WPA? Currently, according to the router admin page, its set to WPA AND WPA2, but XP just sees the network as WPA2
-
No I havent, will try that then. Was hoping to avoid it but if I have to do it, I will. Thanks
-
A colleague replaced the hard disk in her iBooks over the holidays, I gave her instructions and said to her to bring it up to me (i had taken an image of her old disk) Started it up, wouldnt recognise the disk, no massive surprise, so I put in an OSX install CD, went into disk utility and partitioned it (it was recognised fine) Restarted in target mode and put the image back onto it no problems. But now it still wont boot, it just comes up with the folder and question mark. Ive gone back into disk utility, its still detected, formatted as mac os extended (journaled) and the partition map scheme is Apple Partition Map, which is right isnt it? What do I need to do to get it to boot? Even if I start with option held down, it wont come up as a bootable disk. Do I need a firmware upgrade or something? Its an iBook G4, and its a 160GB HD thats been put into it. I did check before she ordered the disk, and it did seem that other people had upgraded to that size with no problems
-
In general presents for people you dont know well is always booze or chocolates - everyone normally likes 1 of the 2! You should have taken the wine anyway - you could give them out as your own lazy presents
-
LOL I know its the last day and there isnt much to do, but that is still a bit sad
-
DBPowerAmp is what I use, although you do have a pay a few quid for the MP3 encoding (not sure if you could use the free Lame encoder)
-
Got a bottle of Mount Gay rum today which makes me the winner You can stuff all the girly beers and chocolates
-
psexec - The greatest thing since buttered bread
sidewinder replied to stratisphere's topic in General Chat
LOL...especially with that clip -
They really, really should have advised you about the price increase. Them just going ahead with it would quickly make me doubt the company's morals, even if it is legal. However, seeing it from their perspective, why should they lose profit or perhaps even make a loss when their costs go up by honouring prices? You can see exactly why they put that small print in and exactly why there is no law against them changing prices. Even more so in this day and age when the price of raw materials rapidly fluctuates. Imagine if you had a business and the price of producing/buying in one of your products changed dramatically (through no fault of your own). Someone places an order from a flyer and you're legally obliged to honour that price. You would be screwed, and less than happy. In this case I would just be annoyed about them not informing you. I would expect most decent companies to at the least inform you, and at most to meet you in the middle or shave a bit off since you expected to be paying another price, and them losing a bit of profit and keep a customer is much better than keep the profit and lose the customer.
