sidewinder
Members-
Posts
3,170 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by sidewinder
-
Well, I went and I'm back...unfortunately! Got back last week, did 9 weeks in total, and I predictably had the time of my life. Did a load of islands in Thailand, few places in Cambodia, a brief bit of Malaysia, and a few weeks in Oz...great fun and met sooo many cool people Getting back to work hasnt been as bad as I thought, in fact it barely feels like Ive been away . At least my liver is having a chance to recover now Only problem now is I want to go straight back out again...for a lot, lot longer than 2 months. Think a bit of saving up then perhaps a career break is in order Highly recommened it to anyone thinking about it, for any amount of time. Asia is incredible And thanks everyone for the words of encouragement! So glad I did it
-
Sorry to hear Not a horse person specifically but I love animals and its tragic when one you love does die RIP
-
Yeah, the energy used in getting the stuff out barely makes it worth it. With the huge oil fields you get like 20:1 ratio I think, would be surprised if its more than 2:1 with the tar sands Plus, an enourmous amount of water needs to be used, plus lakes filled with the toxic byproducts afterwards. Not good
-
Yeah, same. Demand pretty much consistantly goes up (apart from during recessions, but it usually returns to what it was before). Supply has to follow that, and it obviously cannot do forever.
-
Even if it is going to happen many years down the line, ignoring those difficult decisions like has been done for years on end, is only going to make things worse when it does happen. If we had 15-20 years, thats a realistic timespan to reduce demand dramatically and vastly increase funding and adoption of alternative energy. People would obviously moan and b1tch about it, but it would at least be doable. But ignoring it till its too late (no-one will know whether its peaked till a few years after) is likely to make things very painful in the future Unfortunately every government elected will always push it under the carpet because they need to go for short term success to stay in power. Reducing energy usage and encouraging conservation to help for the future just isnt something thats going to be popular, so they wont bother. FWIW most of the evidence seems to show the 'easy' oil already has or is close to peaking. There is obviously a lot of oil in the tar sands etc, but refining that is an environmental disaster (and thats putting it lightly)
-
Personal Computer World (UK) Magazine bites the dust
sidewinder replied to Dos_Box's topic in General Chat
That is a shame, been a subscriber for quite a few years. Not that it's particularly great however, I think I've read everything I want to read in it in half hour. But it tused to be good Was the first PC magazine I ever bought, in the mid 90's - had my first half decent computer and bought the fattest magazine with what looked like the most free 'stuff' on the floppies...and that turned out to be PCW. Did use to make me laugh how it was like an inch and a half thick with 98% adverts -
Ebuyer sell everything now, havent just done computers for ages Why would your address give it away? It's not someone looking through the addresses seeing who would look like they might want a kitchen, its a computer system mailing out on mass. It doesnt discriminate. Wasteful though I agree Oh and kitchens certainly do not = ladies
-
Is there any way to lock them down or mass configure them? If not, I wouldnt like to be in the IT department in that school
-
Well over 100 staff members so I dont even know everyones names, people come and go so frequently. But I know and speak to a good majority, friendly with 10-20, exchange pleasantaries with most of the rest, some are just grumpy and a few I just dont like
-
Apologies if this has been posted already but what a joke!! School worker's Facebook post prompts suspension ? The Register No names mentioned, just an innocent comment, I hear far worse from teachers down the pub. How the hell can they suspend someone for that? And havent the school got better things to do than to spy on staff on facebook??
-
Our LEA has take the extremely technical step of just blocking the entire video and picture search, like they do on all sites Very unhelpful. They allow one image search - picsearch. Quite what makes that so much safer I dont know - its as easy as any other for the kids to get porn on there
-
Have to say, unless you're genuinely affected by the change in this service, or you really need to cancel for whatever reason, it's somewhat greedy to cancel just because you can. YOU signed up for the stated time, YOU agreed to what you pay (which you can change anyway) The reason you get a cheap or free phone is because you're paying it off as part of your contract, takes the p*** slightly if you use this to cancel then get another subsidised phone. However, it is a stupid thing for 3 to have done. Cant have been costing them much, was a nice benefit and if people ended up with a bill because they didnt bother to look at what network they were connected to, then its pretty much their fault. Though I had a friend who went to Sydney at the start of the year and he said the only place he got 3 reception was at the airport!
-
I'll be voting...Greens for me
-
1. Britains Got Talent 2. Big Brother 3. X-Factor 4. Celebrity 5. Cribs & Pimp My Ride 6. Two Pints Of Lager (if anyone disagrees with this, they are an idiot) 7, 8, 9, 10 - all the other stuff people have posted
-
We've recently changed from buying HP 2600's to Brother HL4050's. Apart from the drum needing replacement the Brothers seem a lot more reliable to me. Have a lot of problems with the 2600's, mostly them randomly losing all network settings and reverting to DHCP
-
Considering affordable blu-ray recording is still a few years away, something like this in the distant future doesnt really excite me tbh
-
Arthur - legend, thankyou, works a treat Zoom - Yeah I thought that looked a bit odd too, the regedit 4. Maybe that was soemthing to do with it.
-
Why? Because an MSI is provided, and in that initial thread almost everyone was using it I like to try and standardise where possible. Only use batch files when theres no other solution And I would prefer to use registry settings (as the documentation says you can) just because it makes it (very marginally) quicker to update the settings if needed Mostly - just personal preference!
-
Finally getting round to deploying USBDLM MSI works fine, it also picks up settings fine from an ini file. But it refuses to read anything in the registry I'm not even trying to integrate it in the MSI as of yet, literally just adding the reg file manually on a test machine. Ive used the sample one from the website and changed some settings but it just doesnt work at all. All registry entries are there as they should be, but no balloon tips come up, no drive exclusions etc, nothing I downloaded an MSI that was posted in the big thread about this program, and opened that in WinInstall to see the registry entries, and they are totally different?! So has the structure and way that the reg file works changed? Im using this one: REGEDIT4 [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Uwe Sieber\USBDLM\DriveLetters] "Letters"="X,Y,Z" [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Uwe Sieber\USBDLM\ExcludedLetters] "Letters"="F,G" [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Uwe Sieber\USBDLM\Settings] "NoMediaNoLetter"="1" [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Uwe Sieber\USBDLM\Balloons] "Enabled"="1" "Timeout"="6000" [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Uwe Sieber\USBDLM\OnArrival] "open"="explorer %root%" which is as the sample is off the website, but the part I looked at in the MSI had drive1=A, drive2=B etc etc Anyone got a working reg file? Im using version 4.3.0
-
I refuse to eat here - the food is foul. We have it on training days though as its free and although occasionally it tastes ok, usually its bland, insipid and flavourless, since they refuse to use any salt or seasoning. Ridiculous And I'd put money on it that nothing is locally sourced, just the cheapest nastiest meat the catering company can get their hands on, and the salad usually tastes like its been sat out for a week
-
That does somewhat depend on your council... Unless someone is in the same area as you it might be hard to give you much advice
-
fat suit?
-
Nah, you shouldnt do. Some of our network points in our office are connected to PoE ports (for testing WAPs) and we can plug various non PoE equipment into them and no problems
-
Suggestions for a good alternative to manage iPod
sidewinder replied to sidewinder's topic in General Chat
dopisp is awesome, thanks so much for that dyoung, works seamlessly and syncs relatively quickly (it is dragging the music across a wireless link so its never going to be very quick) -
Have now purchased a new one - an Altuscan 16 port one with built in LCD/KB/Touchpad Uses CAT5 that goes to USB/VGA modules and it just *works* Love it, really solidly built, reliable, and gets rid of trailing cables and finding somewhere to put a seperate monitor/KB. Was about £1,200 from Videk Also got a 'KVM On The Net' box which should be quite interesting when I get it set up for remote access
