Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

sidewinder

Members
  • Posts

    3,170
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by sidewinder

  1. This is certainly the quickest EG has been for a long time. Before there were often times where it would completely time out when clicking a link or submitting a post, seems fine now.
  2. Thanks guys, glad its not just me then. It does seem the sensible choice for now. Around 500 desktops and then upto 400 laptops, but obviously they are never all on at once. It is too much for a flat network I know, but we dont experiance any slowdown, and wireshark doesnt indicate excessive broadcast traffic.
  3. We have a completely flat network at the minute. VLANing is something I want to do at some point but my knowledge of it is extremely sketchy and I dont want to rush into it until I know what I'm doing. However we had an Aruba system installed this year and had some problems with coverage. The company that supplied it has been helping us sort it with a variety of things, and it has improved considerably. The last thing on their list, and the thing that hasnt been done yet, is a seperate VLAN for wireless. They will set it up, and Im sure it'll work fine, but Im a bit uncomfortable about something being set up on our network that I dont really understand - kind of puts us in the sh1t if anything goes wrong. Im sure the engineer would explain it to me but Im still unsure. The proposal is to VLAN our core switch, and have a seperate DHCP scope with a different address range for wireless clients. And the AP's will be on a different VLAN. I assume routing will be done between the VLAN's to allow the clients to communicate with the network. But...how will a switch know which VLAN to assign a AP to? Will it need to be in a specific port? Do we need to make changes to all our edge switches? He seemed to say that we wouldnt. And how on earth will the seperate DHCP scope work? How will the clients get assigned these addresses?? Im really not comfortable with all this, and Im tempted to call it off as we've had such an improvement in the wireless without it, it doesnt seem necessary, but then this engineer obviously knows better than me...doesnt he?
  4. Ah, loved those Kilix machines when I worked at Vodafone - they were set on free so free coffee, soup and incredibly sweet starburst drink all day
  5. External hard disk, put in fire safe. Think we've got a few years worth of leavers actually but have never been required to go back longer than a year
  6. Also be careful if you've bought a new DSi - there are versions that work on it (presumably the R4i) but you cant just go and buy any version and expect it to work
  7. I play with friends but im useless at it, really need to start playing some free games on one of the sites and get a bit better
  8. Its extremely worrying. It certainly looks to be one of the defining events of our generation, and the worrying thing isnt that its going to happen, its that governments are burying their heads in the sand and taking a bloody big risk in assuming the official figures are all correct - a lot of people think reserve estimates are vastly inflated. I mean look at this: Key oil figures were distorted by US pressure, says whistleblower | Environment | The Guardian The oil industry does use artificial scarcity to raise prices but thats done by adjusting output according to demand, peak oil will mean supply simple cannot keep up with demand, and the price of everything would skyrocket. Dos_box - reserves are always being found, but the size of them is nothing in the grand scheme of things. Its believed that all the giant fields, like those in Saudi, have already been found. Its the exact reason why so much money is being pumped into the incredibly polluting tar sands oil extraction in Canada - most of the easy cheap oil has been found. Worst thing is that no-one really knows when it will happen, we could well be in the peak right now, its just not possible to know till after the event, even more so at a time when recession is affecting demand. Theres loads, and loads of films and books on the subject, and it isnt Alex Jones type nutjobs producing this stuff, its independant geologists who know what they're talking about and are genuinely worried that we're heading for disaster.
  9. cheers...looks like thats the way then had a quick look though, and setup guides talk about purchasing CAL's over the internet and stuff - surely we already have CAL's as we buy them with our schools agreement..or is it a different type? I realise this is now a Windows question..I will take it over there if I need any more help Edit: ah dhicks you've essentially answered my question before I asked it We'd have to buy TS CALs then Server wise we're fine, got a few that are under utilised
  10. Got 5 mac's for teachers that are all ready to go...but we cant replace the PC's they have until we can find a solution for SIMS. We bought Parallels 4, but that is completely useless for multi user environments. I've tried installing it on a server and having VM's that could be RDP'd to, but Parallels doesnt allow them to run in the background (not so much a problem, I know its not designed as a server product) Tried Virtualbox, but that has the same problem with multi user. Technically all this virtualisation software works great as single user, but when you want one VM to be available to all users that log onto a machine, you're screwed. Parallels seemed to be perfect for this, you can create an alias to a VM on the local hard disk, but when opening it as another user you received 'The specified bundle is invalid' - Looking round the net plenty of people have had this problem but no solution. One suggestion was to compress and then unzip the VM, didnt work for me. Virtualbox doesnt seem to associate its files with itself, so I cant click on a vm in Finder and have it launch (that is how simple it needs to be...or at the very least there needs to be a way for a VM I specify to appear as default for all users) Boot camp is out of the question as they will not want to reboot just to use SIMS. Short of setting up a terminal server (which could be a solution) I'm a little bit stuck now
  11. sidewinder

    Backing Up

    Thanks! Money is not really an issue, within reason. Need something graphical really, so that any member of the team could administer it, which rules out command line. Might just download a trial of retrospect
  12. unless it was a nightmare laptop that required hours of dissassembly to get to the keyboard id do it for nothing
  13. The ability to keep calm under pressure, have confidence, be happy, common sense, as well as some technical knowledge of course Not all of those are easy, its sometimes hard to stay in a good mood after stopping something quite important to walk right the way across a site to switch a plug on but its a good skill to have People skills are so important though, I've met a few technicians in my time, or had people moaning about techs at their place of work, who are so grumpy or have the 'im so much better than you' attitude, or just lack common sense, it doesnt matter how much knowledge they have, they get on peoples nerves and staff end up not wanting help from them!
  14. sidewinder

    Backing Up

    What do you use to backup data on your Mac servers? We use Backup Exec for Windows, so the natural choice was to buy mac server licences. It did work, but whenever it encountered a corrupt library file, the backup would freeze. I dont know if thats something to do with Windows not handling them or what but even when we kept deleting the 'problem' file, there would be another one in someone elses directory causing problems. So thats out for us. I've tried Carbon Copy Cloner, which is ok but very limited in terms of options for an enterprise solution. Ditto Silverkeeper, another free one (though this has been the most successful so far) We used to use Retrospect a long time ago but dont know what its like now. Any 'killer app' for Mac backup?
  15. Yeah I got round to installing it the other day and it works really well, quality as you say looks a bit poor but then it isnt much better on the PC
  16. Hmm his standup did stop being funny quite a while ago. Perhaps hes bothered to write some new jokes for this tour?
  17. No, you do get a game with them all (as far as I know) but they also sell the game on its own for people who already have the board for whatever reason
  18. No, he just means they sell the game on its own too, so make sure you order the bundle! Cant believe people are still interested in it, had one - hardly used it. bit of a gimmick
  19. EXACTLY the same has happened to us, bloke turns up, takes it away, and 6 weeks later we still havent heard anything. Yet at other times, they have come out with a replacement? Though at those times, it isnt Toshiba themselves, but another company who deal with their warranties - Equinox
  20. Specifically the enterprise edition. Yes, it has its 'issues', and Im not a massive fan myself but this for once isnt to do with problems it causes. If you switch off/disconnect/stop the database on the PCE server, should client interent access be affected in any way? I'd instantly say no, but we had an incident a while ago where I was doing something or other to it, and as soon as I stopped the SQL server instance, no-one could get on the net. I now need to migrate the server to a new one, I have some pretty detailed instructions for this from Forensic, but I'm just worried about uninstalling it from the old one. Dont mind missing out on captures for a few days till clients are redirected, just as long as they work! Should probably leave till the Xmas hols, but I want rid of the bulky old server it resides on ASAP.
  21. Me too. Its a horrible, wasteful culture. Mostly imposed by greedy companies who either dont make spares available, or if they do, make them cost almost as much as a new product. Though people with the attitude that its better to spend a bit more and buy a replacement annoy me too. If its an ancient piece of kit, fair enough. If its a year old laptop with a smashed screen and the new screen costs half as much as the laptop, surely that is worth fixing?? Yet I've had arguments with colleagues in the past who would rather buy a new one. Anyway, good tip about cleaning projectors - I didnt think anything could be done when they had dimmed that much. We too have been told by suppliers that the only thing to do is to 'bin them'
  22. Stay out all night partying then get the first train back home
  23. Nothing to do with the ipods but LOL @ this too...bet the teachers are loving this "To help to create a culture of democracy, teachers will also have to drink their coffee and catch up on administration in spaces shared with children."
  24. Essentially, any students reaction is going to be "FREE IPOD?!" They're going to be loving it, for personal reasons, not caring one bit about the educational reasons. And they may not be allowed to use them in the street (a big LOL...try policing that) but they'll still have them on their person to and from school. Great target for muggers
  25. About time...they say it worked before but it was always just watching it in a web browser and it looked crap Might plug my wii in for the first time in months soon then
×
×
  • Create New...