Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

sidewinder

Members
  • Posts

    3,170
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by sidewinder

  1. Indeed. The scanners were on the news last year a few weeks or a month before the christmas day attemped bombing. They were shown as a potential new security measure. After the attempted bombing they suddenly were a certainty, and now they're getting installed. What great timing for them to be invented/produced eh? Personally I dont mind. Being terrified of flying as it is, and not likely to become a terrorist or drug mule anytime soon I cant really complain too much. But it does make you wonder sometimes
  2. We're just going to block internet access that day, to make it really safe
  3. I see you're going for the retro angle and bringing back last weeks joke
  4. It is true that Flash is pretty bad on OS X. Very frustrating trying to watch iPlayer or anything. And it would be nice if HTML5 was used more, but it isnt, flash dominates, and is used often needlessly on some websites. Dont see why Apple couldnt have let the plugin be installed in the same way they do in OS X, and just make clear that its a 3rd party plugin and not offcially supported or something. Having said that, no doubt specific apps for the popular stuff like iPlayer will be developed so it probably wont end up being as huge a problem as some might think. I care little either way since I wont be buying one
  5. Maybe I'm just being really thick (quite possible) but I've never been able to get Apple Remote Desktop to do any reports. It deploys software fine, copies files, controls clients, eg every other method of communication with clients is fine, but when I try and do a report or file search, it sits there for eternity saying 'waiting for report data' and eventually fails. Its never, ever worked. Using 3.3.2, and while some clients are still on 3.2.1, neither version actually works. I've got every remote management option ticked on the clients sharing prefs, and ARD says I dont need to do anything except add the computers to the 'all computers' list which I obviously have. OS is 10.5.8 Any ideas?
  6. Yup, he'd probably rather a £20k fine than be unable to drive his precious cars
  7. Amen Ayatollah There is no point getting angry over it, home ownership is important to a lot of people but it isnt the be all and end all in life. Theres nothing wrong with renting, as above it isnt throwing money away - you're paying for a roof over your head! Personally it doesnt bother me, I'm more than happy renting for however long, I like not having the massive financial burden of a mortgage. If when I'm older the chance to buy somewhere I like is within my reach then yeah I'd probably take it, but not at the expense of crippling myself just to 'get on the ladder'
  8. Mums always tell you what you want to hear though
  9. Or it was just down for a while, because its up now
  10. Thats all you could contribute to a thread about the tennis? Yes, the school does have one, thanks for your concern mr sensible
  11. Great game. And so happy the BBC has it so I can watch at work The final is going to be immense, whoever he ends up playing
  12. an xserve with an apple on it. But why
  13. cheers. Ive still got the teachers left to move at half term since I ran out of time, so I'll give that a go then. Disk images worked well for the students though
  14. They give me plenty of things to moan about too!
  15. There seems to be a new moan every time I come on here so in that respect, yeah its like facebook Honestly though, who cares. Some of the recent conversations have been cringeworthy but so what, its a general forum so you cant complain too much as long as people arnt being abusive
  16. tbf when a console is cracked these days you have 2 choices - play offline with copies, or play online with real games. Thousands of 360 owners found that out the hard way, and theres no reason the PS3 will be any different, they'll end up banning online play to people with modded consoles So the attraction is a lot less - unless you can afford 2 consoles (or hate online games)
  17. Ditto, theres too many. Thats my only complaint, everything else is fine
  18. I could probably find an accurate number but I may as well summarise with: LOADS
  19. sidewinder

    Mac Mini HDMI

    In fact the new minis have a mini displayport rather than DVI which can connect straight to HDMI with the right adapter (still no sound though)
  20. sidewinder

    Mac Mini HDMI

    Apple have already increased the price of the mini a lot since it was introduced, for that reason I wouldnt want blu-ray and HDMI purely because they would charge a premium for it An off shoot of the brand to replace the Apple TV would be good though
  21. Same, got a philips electric that ive had for a few years but most of the time I just use a beard trimmer, keep the old stubble there for the ladies
  22. Cant help you but that does look like a cool (and cute) hedgehog. Easy to look after, feed etc?
  23. We use a schoolname.leaname.org domain, decision was taken long before I was around so there seems little point in changing anything Would prefer we used the sch.uk for at least email, just so I could use it to get the cheap MS software but again, decision was taken long ago that we'd use the [email protected] format Most schools in the area do the exact same, which I gather is slightly unusual
  24. I wouldnt say so anymore, no. Several devices cost far less than a PC would and play every format you care to throw at them, its only the cheaper ones like the WDTV that cant downmix DTS (note that if you have an AV receiver its a moot point as it can do it). The Popcorn Hour is only a few hundred, can put an internal disk in it, and it plays everything with reliability far above a home built PC most likely
×
×
  • Create New...