sidewinder
Members-
Posts
3,170 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by sidewinder
-
If you have a PS3 you could always buy PlayTV...bit more than £20 but a cheap way to get a PVR of sorts
-
Serves him right going to Australia on a 2 week break! Hardly worth it when you factor in all the flying time is it?
-
11 off here I think, though a few are in mainland Europe so could well be home via ferry/eurostar tomorrow
-
quickest way to turn Papercut off temporarily
sidewinder replied to BatchFile's topic in Educational Software
should be able to stop the service no problem - we recently discovered that the service had been stopped (accidentaly) and we had no records of any printing for the last few months - there were no problems with any printing in this period so you should be fine -
maybe if you click one of the ads it will lead you to a laptop that can cope with flash
-
I saw your reply...nothing wrong with it. lol @ it being deleted...rather ott
-
Got An iPhone? You Can Use It In "Land Line Mode"
sidewinder replied to 6Foot2's topic in General Chat
I quite like it -
Yes, but unfortunately I drunk it all
-
How do I delete On-The-Go playlists off my iPod Touch
sidewinder replied to Dos_Box's topic in General Chat
Im sure you've tried this, but hit delete/backspace when the playlist is selected? You can def delete them from the iPod too...think theres a clear playlist option there somewhere -
How many find all the drivers in the device manager?
sidewinder replied to TomStanley's topic in Windows
Yes but if Windows finds its own driver for the SM Bus or anything else, it wont show as a yellow ? in DM If the ? is there then there is no driver, Windows or otherwise, installed for that device. I see your point that not everything is vital, but chipset components like that usually increase peroformance (and I havent had any problems with drivers for things like that for years) -
Am I the only one who read the title and thought it could be about a SAN made of Lego?
-
We have 2 DHCP servers, both setup with the whole scope, but each with exclusions so they give out half the scope each. They are also both DNS servers, so each gives itself out as the primary DNS and the other server as secondary. A basic load balancing of sorts. This has always worked fine. One of them is being retired as I have a new server to replace it. Over the holidays I have added it as an additional DNS server, then setup DHCP, before disabling and deauthorizing the old server and authorizing the new. So its supposed to do exactly the same, only difference is that its on a different IP and thus gives out a different DNS server. I powered on some machines that I saw had leases on the old server, and sure enough they sent out requests and got a new IP address. Most from the new server. All working fine, except the DNS server addresses are not right. They're not even showing as what was setup on the old server (which I could have explained away) they are instead showing the config that the other server should give out - eg instead of 172.16.1.1, 172.16.1.2, its 172.16.1.2, 172.16.1.1 If I do ipconfig/renew then everything changes to what it should be. But then, rebooting the machine, it comes back up with the wrong settings again! This isnt a massive problem. since whichever way the DNS servers are listed, both are active. But I'm interested/concerned as to why its doing this. Any ideas?
-
I know the password is right - its the same username/password I use to protect computers manually in the console. Also, if it wasnt right, the application wouldnt install surely? sted - yeah Ive done the sync, but it just shows all computers greyed out (ie not having sophos installed) until i protect them
-
That works (it looks similar to what we used to use) but it will not appear in the console for some reason Same as before. Ive waited an hour or so and the computer I tested it on is still just showing as grey in the console
-
Trying to move Sophos to a new server, using Enterprise Console 3 & Anti Virus 7. I know they arnt the latest versions but they are the latest available from our LEA. Deploying to desktops via the console is fine, because I know they're likely to be on during the day. However laptops is a different story. There seems to be an option for adding new computers as they are created, but not one for installing on a machine as it comes online? We used to use a simple startup script which checked for the existance of Sophos on a client, and if not found it would install it from the InterChk share on the server. But this method, although giving the client a working Sophos install, which updated from the right place, does not make it appear in the enterprise console. Any ideas?
-
*jealous* we got hot cross buns but they just dont compare The great thing about creme eggs is that for some insane reason quite a few people dont like them. So you could stock up a bit today
-
The importance of school internet connections
sidewinder replied to localzuk's topic in General Chat
Yeah it is vital these days. In terms of impact on myself its just an annoyance, but for the wider school it is essential Luckily (touch wood) our connection is fairly reliable, and when it does go down its usually just external access, anything hosted on the WAN (such as the VLE and email) stays up -
Microsoft Turns 35: Best, Worst, Most Notable Moments
sidewinder replied to 6Foot2's topic in General Chat
That was really interesting, thanks -
'greed Never trust a man without facial hair I have anywhere from designer stubble to 'getting towards a beard'. I hate being clean shaven
-
Great, the week after we put our 10.6.2 machines out! Something else to do over easter I guess..
-
Sort of...we replaced 2 of the access points and all was fine I think. Since then though we have a new core switch and all new WAPs though
-
Double standards removing the word **** from posts?
sidewinder replied to RingOfFlame's topic in General Chat
Regardless of whether it comes under the swearing policy, I think taking the time to remove 'crap' is a bit much, especially in forums such as the Red Door..obviously stronger words are a different matter -
I thought that it was available around 98-99 too in limited areas Maybe the first NTL/Virgin customer but certainly not the UK's first I dont reckon
-
Thankyou, thought it was just me! I had to google 1/8 jack to make sure thats what it was
