Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

sidewinder

Members
  • Posts

    3,170
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by sidewinder

  1. Hmm...wonder if its likely to ever make it to the UK or if its worth ordering from the US Would be a great book to have. After 3 days of struggle and conflicting information on the net, I've got some of MDT and Lite Touch working howe I want, but its not perfect yet
  2. "IT'S MY FIRST TIME VOTING. CAN I TAKE A PHOTO?" WHY would anyone want to do that??
  3. ............................................________ ....................................,.-'"...................``~., .............................,.-"..................................."-., .........................,/...............................................":, .....................,?......................................................\, .................../...........................................................,} ................./......................................................,:`^`..} .............../...................................................,:"........./ ..............?.....__.........................................:`.........../ ............./__.(....."~-,_..............................,:`........../ .........../(_...."~,_........"~,_....................,:`........_/ ..........{.._$;_......"=,_......."-,_.......,.-~-,},.~";/....} ...........((.....*~_......."=-._......";,,./`..../"............../ ...,,,___.\`~,......"~.,....................`.....}............../ ............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-" ............/.`~,......`-...............................\....../\ .............\`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....\,__ ,,_..........}.>-._\...................................|..............`=~-, .....`=~-,_\_......`\,.................................\ ...................`=~-,,.\,...............................\ ................................`:,,...........................`\..............__ .....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==`` ........................................_\..........._,-%.......`\ ...................................,<`.._|_,-&``................`
  4. Agreed. It certainly wasnt the wisest decision in hindsight but as is always said, hindsight is a wonderful thing. Its only in the last few years that the price has shot up so much, until then it probably didnt seem such a bad decision (since the money was invested in currency which would have gained interest) Also, money lost from it ranges from £4bn to £6bn. Considering the government collects £10bn a year from tax on tobacco alone, and god knows how much in fuel tax and others, so in the grand scheme of things it isnt an enourmous amount of money
  5. Ugh, I havent had the pleasure of seeing that yet. My mum reads it, hence why I glance at it. Thankfully I know she is intelligent enough to not just believe everything they say, but is everyone? Because without exposure to other media, from reading the Mail they would have you think that the country will be destroyed if everyone doesnt vote Tory, case in point the front page you describe. I dont have a problem with newspapers political leanings as a whole, they all do it, but the broadsheets manage to not be so pathetically childish about it - they'll cover who they support more favourably but give a reasonably balanced view of the other parties too, or at least a few commentators to provide an alternative opinion. To be fair the Mail has had the occasional one of them (I forget his name) plus a small column by Vince Cable, but its squirreled away behind 10 pages of Tory propaganda
  6. I dont like the Sun, in the most part its harmless enough but its opinions/bias, that although obvious, so many people take as fact is a little worrying. However its got a long way to go before it becomes as pathetic, right wing, fear mongering and downright nasty as the Mail. For that we can be thankful. Their coverage of the election has been nothing short of disgraceful with regards to Nick Clegg, as soon as they realised he was a threat to their precious David the mudslinging started Thats not to mention the lovely borderline racism and immigration phobia they fill the paper with for the rest of the time
  7. Agreed! It would be quite an achievement. I remember eagerly "upgrading" from 98 and thinking it looked so cool...for about 10 minutes. The amount of times and different computers on which I though 'oh ill give it another go' then to revert back to 98 the same day was staggering. Although I wouldnt ever want to use them regularly now, at least 95 & 98 are still usuable (and 2000 of course)
  8. Now also going to the Hop Farm festival headlined by the one and only Bob Dylan with loads of other folky acts. Should be bloody amazing to say the least
  9. Cant go wrong with Canons, genuinely decent compact cameras and no stupid software needed to install Perhaps the Powershot is a bit better than the Ixus in school situations, looks more durable and less desirable
  10. I have had a few browser hangs from Flash in OS X but I've had more crashes from other software, or just Finder
  11. Lib Dem for me, was Green but after the last few weeks Lib Dem is the best option, especially in my area which is quite close run between them and the Tories
  12. Same here. Even DOS could 'support' redundant PSU's since its independant of the OS
  13. I saw it last night, did drag a bit in places compared to the first one but no real complaints, it was a decent film. With the added bonus of Scarlett Johansson
  14. Apart from various OS discs I really dont use any, no point when you can keep stuff on the network and USB stick. The Active Killdisk is one I use for wiping computers but thats about it
  15. No mention of Mad Men??
  16. This may be something I need to contact Forensic software about, but I know there are a few here that use PCE and even more than might be able to diagnose a SQL problem. Over easter we moved our database over to a new server. Its a virtual one, 2003 R2 running on Hyper-V with 2Gb RAM dedicated to it and a well specced CPU (with little else running on Hyper-V so far) Followed instructions, everything went fine, all works perfectly, but when you try and display a page of captures it takes 20-30 seconds to load - on the old server it took about 3 or 4 seconds. Everything else on the web interface is speedy as it should be, its just when listing a large amount of captures. If I go on the server, CPU usuage is on 100% for the whole time the page is loading, then drops back to nothing. Was just wondering, is there any tool I can use to see what the database is doing when the request is made? When we transferred the database, we had to leave all the old captures behind, because there was 150GB+ of them, we no longer needed them and with 500,000 odd files it would have taken all day to copy them. So the database contains references to all these captures, but unsurprisingly they display a message that the images couldnt be found. Is there a possibility this could have something to do with it?
  17. sidewinder

    Cycling

    Cycled a few times in the holidays but havent started in term time yet as ive been too lazy to get up any earlier...will soon change though Need to get my bike sorted though, after a winter sat in the garage there are only a few gears I can be in that dont click incessently (what causes that anyway?) and the brakes are, well not great
  18. Overall probably forums, here for work and several other places in my free time. Use facebook but not to a massive extent
  19. CS3 suite works fine for us on 7
  20. Renewals are ALWAYS more, they always have been for me anyway, often double. Apart from last year when it did amazingly come out slightly cheaper, I've had to change insurers every single year - it seems they arent bothered about keeping custokmers unless those customers are lazy and cant be bothered to change
  21. Personally, if I had a flight out in the next few days, I wouldnt be flying...just not worth it to me
  22. sidewinder

    Fuel costs

    Forgot about adding the VAT. Why do I never think before I post?
  23. sidewinder

    Fuel costs

    Probably a bit of a 'I'm alright jack' attitude but it really doesnt affect me too much. Obviously I'd like petrol to be cheaper but as it is, I drive a lot less for non work reasons (cycle, walk, train) so I end up not spending any more at all - so all the increased tax is doing is making me drive less...which is fine with me. I do feel sorry for those that live far from work with no public transport, it must hurt you, but when most of the people (from my group of friends) who moan live close to work or have other options of getting there without driving, or just drive to walkable distances around town because they're lazy, it doesnt make me very sympathetic. Of course the railways need massive, massive improvment before they're capable of carrying extra capacity who have abandoned cars, and privatisation looks utterly incapable of providing that. Source? That looks way out Granted this is a year out of date and tax has gone up since, but not that much! What makes up the cost of 1 litre of petrol?
  24. Got an HND in Computing, MCP x2 and Security+ For a while thought about doing a lot more but the truth is I dont really need them at this point in time - hopefully for future jobs my 5+ years experiance will count for more than a few more MS exams. Would rather spend my time learning something non computing - eg Spanish
×
×
  • Create New...