Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

sidewinder

Members
  • Posts

    3,170
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by sidewinder

  1. Got some old switches spare, and even our old core switch, but in reality if one did die it would be replaced next day anyway so probably wouldnt bother. It just makes me feel safer having 'something'
  2. I'll have to listen to that, because thats a very bold statement if you consider it to be better than the Smiths version, which is an absolute classic!
  3. Whatever you send, the amount of people that actually bother to bring them in will be about 5% at best
  4. A sticky just a few posts above http://www.edugeek.net/forums/mac/15199-active-directory-authentication-how.html
  5. Yeah i just want to do it the supported way. I know the enabler method would be easier but I need this all to go as smoothly as possible....last thing I want in September is strange issue kicking in when students start to use the profile. Interesting that the otherwise excellent book I've got (Group Policy - Fundamentals, Security & the Managed Desktop) advises you to use a Vista machine to do your Windows 7 mandatory profiles (as the button isnt greyed out) and doesnt mention the sysprep method. Anyway, I think I have got it working now. If I install 7 fresh, finish the installation (not hit CTRL+SHIFT+F3), customise the local admin profile, then run sysprep wih the unattend.xml I created, it works. I've done it 3 times now and no errors so far...touch wood
  6. 26...been here since I was 21
  7. Suppose the obvious one is All Along The Watchtower by Jimi Hendrix, though I love the original too
  8. Another "quirk" which is leaving me close to throwing the f*cking thing through the window - started installing software so as to be able to run it and get application prefs added to the profile, all going well until I left the machine, it locked, and then told me the admin account had been disabled! And then rebooting, despite what that sysprep guide says, does not boot back into the admin account, instead it appears to try and run sysprep again, and brings up the same error about not being able to install windows, despite following the guide to the letter again
  9. I'm creating a mandatory profile for students to use with Windows 7. Rather annoying to have to use sysprep just to copy a profile but if that is the official way, fine, I'll do it. I first of all used this guide: How to customize default user profiles in Windows 7 and in Windows Server 2008 R2 and customised the profile, used our usual unattend.xml and ran the sysprep command. It reboots, but then comes up with a message that there was an error processing the generalize section. Asks you to reboot, then its stuck in a loop of 'Windows installation cannot proceed'. So there is nothing you can do apart from reinstall. Annoying to say the least. So I then followed this guide Sysprep a Windows 7 Machine thinking that creating a new unattend.xml just for this would do it, and sure enough, following the guide to the letter meant it worked perfectly. However, as at that point I had only made some random changes to the profile to see it worked, I decided to make some more and get it working properly. I assumed I could edit it, then run the sysprep again on the same machine and it would copy to the default profile again. Wrong - it brings up the same error I originally got - with the unattend.xml that worked perfectly before. So after all that, my question is, do I really have to do a fresh install on Windows 7, just to get into that special sysprep SHIFT+CTRL+F3 mode, EVERY time I want to make a change to the default/mandatory profile? Although I cant even make a change can I, I'll have to start fresh every time. I know its not something you need to do every day, but it does need to be done on occasion Unless I'm missing something, this makes the whole process unnecessarily long. I dont mind having to do things a different way, but this seems ridiculous. Or should my running of sysprep that brings up the error method work?
  10. Great boards those, have performed well for all sorts of non essential servers. I'd still trust one now for something like FreeNAS
  11. We have a fire safe in a seperate building, about 100m or so from the server room. Of course it isnt impossible that both could get destroyed in 1 fire, but its unlikely given where the school is, I doubt any fire would burn for very long before being put out. Safe seems VERY solid, cant remember what the rating in minutes is, but its solid steel and needed a heavy duty trolley and 2 delivery men to get it over there
  12. We did roll back at that point, but since then we have upgraded the Art department too and with the newer iMacs there was no way to use 10.5 so 10.6 it was. Since 10.6.3 it seems to be more stable, very rarely does one come unattached from the domain. What I did do was to add .local to the DNS search domains, as well as our domain (ourschool.local). Was recommended to me by someone, no idea why it works, but it seems to. Since then we have also bougth upgrades for our macbooks, and that has worked ok as well. More cases of 'domain not responding' there, but that could be something to do with wireless connections not being ready in time, not sure yet. All in all I think in future when a new revision os OS X comes out, I will make sure we wait till at least the .2 version just to avoid any problems like we've had (and in the case of 10.6, some software compatibility too)
  13. Have a clear out! Decluttering makes you feel good. Then you wouldnt need a shed either
  14. Not a bad idea, will think about that, thanks. Would be especially useful for travelling because it would mean I wouldnt need both the 18-55 (which isnt great to start with, I find myself rarely using it) and something bigger
  15. The one localzuk has linked to is (or very similar to) the one we've got in the hall, and it is pretty decent
  16. Ha, I think the 55-250 might be a little more up my street price wise. I know the L series are superb lenses but probably overkill for a n00b like me
  17. Which 70-200 do you have? And was it affordable? I only ask because I have a 400D, with the 18-55, and the same 50, so a big zoom lens is what I need next
  18. Cheers, I'll try that if I get any more
  19. Ah. I saw that original thread but didnt think much of it, then yesterday I had the problem on one mac. Reinstall was the only solution. Thankfully most others are either 10.6 or they already use firefox instead. Will advise people just in case though
  20. Tbf if I remember rightly Spain does have massive problems with water shortages in the hottest areas, they have to transport it over from another part of the country or abroad
  21. Its incredible. I went out last night when it was 45-45 and really expected it to be finished that night but no. It'll be a bit of an anti climax if one of them breaks serve and wins it in 5 minutes today
  22. Little scare just now where I couldnt get my freeview working but all ok now, and Ive managed to find a 24" TFT to use for the afternoon Shame I cant have a beer here!
  23. Whats the problem with it? I certainly wouldnt complain if they booted the kids out early, more peace, unfortunately they arnt here!
  24. Thankfully the main place its being viewed today is the hall, and thats cunningly setup using the analog tuner from the VCR straight into the projector Any teachers watching on iPlayer moaning about buffering can just be directed into there
  25. I've got my freeview USB stick, better quality and I dont trust iPlayer on a day like today, though I'm sure they must be expecting high usage and will have tried to compensate for that
×
×
  • Create New...