sidewinder
Members-
Posts
3,170 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by sidewinder
-
Oh b0llocks...knew I shouldnt have just bought it. Yeah I'm pretty sure its just an XLD (picking it up later) Oh well, I'll see how I get on with it. Tbh the full years MOT and tax probably made me a bit blind to what the car is actually like
-
Well I've bought a 306 - 1997 1.9XLD with about 120k on the clock for £725. Years MOT and Tax. Not immaculate cosmetically but I had a drive and it was nice, very smooth. So I'm happy
-
Not a fan on first impression...reminds me of the Zune - clunky
-
Seems everyone likes them I have taken a look at Citroens, but they just dont do it for me for some reason Will probably look to purchase one then! Cheers everyone
-
LOL it looks nothing like a Rhino! Its clearly a dolphin Very funny though
-
Staff room is next to the office so rarely have a need to carry it anywhere, but if I do I just avoid breaks, that would be asking for trouble, as kids seem to take delight in running around like lunatics and getting in the way wherever possible
-
There seems to be quite a few people on here that know about cars so this is worth a go: I currently drive an M reg Escort LX 1.6, which although mechanically fine, is likely to fail its next MOT due to the amount of corrosion on the bodywork. So it is probably time to scrap ir or at least get rid to someone who wants the work. As I have started doing quite a bit more driving (roughly 180 miles a week) I would like something pretty economical, moreso than the Escort, which from my crude workings out seems to get me 45-50MPG already. Was thinking of a mid to late 90's Peugeot 306D 1.9, since they seem economical, reliable, cheap (£1000 is my absolute limit) and cooler than my current car (though not a lot isnt tbf) Decent choice, or is there anything else worth looking at for that price? (It doesnt have to be diesel, but economy is key for me)
-
mobilephonesdirect are they good? any one use them?
sidewinder replied to lionsl2005's topic in General Chat
Its only been 2 hours since you posted, doesnt mean no-one has used them! They have high street stores, some of which are Nokia branded. I'd say they are probably ok But I havent used them (despite one of those Nokia shops being in my town) -
It's not all fun and games living on site
sidewinder replied to AngryTechnician's topic in General Chat
Eurgh I'd never want to live on site! Would be horrible. Not that you can here anyway mind. I suppose its good like mentioned above, for new teachers looking for a place, but permanently? You'd technically always be at work! -
6x 32 4x 16 2x 12 1x 30 1x 18 1x 32 macs 1x 12 macs And every department pretty much has at least 16 laptops (totalling about 400). Science, in total have 64 laptops, and English arnt far behind. I wish we had more centralised IT suites and far less laptops. But every department wants their own thing, even if they're unused for half of the week. So wasteful
-
Actually yeah you are right, or at the very least it gives a warning that performance will be poor if you continue
-
Day 683673 (roughly) in the big brother house...
sidewinder replied to rolfea's topic in General Chat
Music tracking I dont mind too much, especially not through Apple, as I buy precisely none of it through them anyway Also voluntarily shared my music habits for years with last.fm scrobbling In most other cases though I dont like being tracked...little info on facebook and certainly no use of 'places' or anything similar -
I used to use xmarks but after a few weeks of working fine it always seems to break for me! Hopefully the FF one will be good
-
I'm not desperate to do it, but I do hope I get called up at some point...it just seems like one of those things that would be a an interesting experiance to look back on, whether it was good or bad
-
I did mean to put IMO there...I'm happy to admit I'm no expert Fair points
-
I want to see it...been a bit disallusioned by the cinema of late though, apart from Scott Pilgrim, everything I've gone to see I've been dissapointed by
-
Kids will notice differences but they will still see the person as equal, as they know no prejudice, which is how people naturally are. Racism/prejudice is taught
-
I'd say 1GB RAM is required really from experiance but apart from that its not too fussy
-
Are all those screens a need or a want? Are the top ones wall mounted btw?
-
That was my reasoning behind using it. I initially installed it just to test, assuming that it wouldnt be great, and assuming we'd have to go the VMWare route to 'properly' virtualise. But its been perfect, as you say, rock solid Got it running on a Dell Poweredge R710, dual quad xeons, 32GB RAM, 15k SAS drives with 6 servers and a few machines for testing, and not seen any performance issues. It'll be even better when SP1 comes out and dynamic memory is introduced
-
Would go for the smaller engine myself, thats only because Im a bit obsessed with fuel economy though. Currently drive a 1.6 Escort and I worked it out to average around 50mpg on the motorway (although that seems a little high, perhaps I was wrong). Had a 2l Hyundai Coupe at one point and while the extra power was nice, it wasnt worth the extra fuel it drunk. As an aside, considering getting a 1.9 Diesel Peugeot 306 next...would that be a step upwards in my quest for economy?
-
Agreed that it is essential, would really struggle without it. And easily the best remote control software I have seen, including the likes of AB Tutor and Netsupport from the Windows side
-
Used them for years, theres just no comparison to their cable BB...you get the speeds advertised, no 'up to' like ADSL Very rarely goes down, even when it does its never more than a few hours The speed reduction after xxGB of downloads is annoying but everyone has some sort of traffic shaping/management these days
-
The Telegraph's giant list of quangos to be abolished
sidewinder replied to localzuk's topic in General Chat
It does seem like a short sighted decision. I'm sure there are some which there is little use for but some of the ones to be abolished are important! I agree with you about British Waterways And I'm still annoyed about the UK Film Council The other 2 you mention I'm not actually aware of, but look as if they do decent work, same with many of the others on that list. I know cuts need to be made but the government seems to be going crazy with them -
Agreed with the 2 responses above - doing a demonstration showing how their child would be blocked if he searches for games or facebook will impress/reassure parents enough without opening you up to the risk of challengeing people to get past it. As others have said, if someone does, best case it could make you look a little silly, worst case you end up with porn displayed to parents (we all realise its very unlikely, but it is possible)
