Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

sidewinder

Members
  • Posts

    3,170
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by sidewinder

  1. From my limited experiance with them, hardware seems good, Classlink seems expensive and largely pointless.
  2. We have a Sanyo PDG-DSU21b projector, and over time, white spots have started to appear on the projected image. I would guess it is dust? But where? I have changed the bulb and cleaned the external glass of the lens. But the white spots remain. Could it be something else?
  3. Got a new MIS system going in, and need to extract all our current data out of Hebron Administrator. There are plenty of pre built reports there, but I want an option to dump ALL information about students to a csv file. You can import reports that you can run, but they need to be created by R&R Report Writer, which we dont have. Is there any way of doing this? Unfortunately it is quite urgent. I thought it would be a simple job
  4. I'm pretty sure that a few grands worth of petrol sold cheaply wouldn't even amount to 1p extra per litre to claw back, not that they'd do that anyway because they'd lose more sales by putting the price up. Anyway are you telling me that you wouldnt have gone and filled your car up if it happened near you? There was nothing illegal about filling up at that price, it was Asda's mistake. I admit though that people filling up multiple cans etc are a bit greedy
  5. We're an independant school so I dont think either of those apply. The supplier we got them off before support our school and a lot of others, perhaps thats why they could get it for that price? Or they are just dodgy Either way, looks like we'll have to buy retail then. Annoying because I want to get a schools agreement sorted, but we need to order a server within the next week
  6. Aha, thanks! Shame I didnt see that because I could have added it to my Ebuyer order But I suppose I can live with a single NIC for now!
  7. ..what price should we be paying? Retail? We don't currently have a schools agreement, but looking back at past invoices, server products have been supplied to us as a 'School select licence' which worked out at something like £180 for enterprise edition. But looking at the MS site select licences are only for establishments with over 250 machines. So a) how did a supplier get it for that price and b) can we do it again?
  8. Thanks for all the info, I've ordered one One thing I couldnt find was an affordable half height PCIe NIC...anyone know of any? Found a dual port HP one but at £100 odd is about £90 over what I want to spend
  9. Whenever I have used the remove common program groups GPO in the past, it has removed both the start menu AND the desktop all users icons - because at one point I wanted to keep one but not the other and found I couldnt do it. Am I missing something here?
  10. Oh ok thanks. I don't mind using Hyper-V, either is fine for me
  11. It will just be a lab for me to personally test things...so very light workload as it will only be me and possibly a few test clients using it. So I'm guessing it should cope ok
  12. I've come a bit late to the party with this but I am thinking of buying one before the cashback offer finishes. Like others, the CPU puts me off though. Lots of people have said its ok, but not great...but in real terms what does that mean? I mean if I was running ESXi with 4 VM's of Server 2008R2 (assuming I buy more RAM) is it going to be very sluggish or unusuable? Only ever going to be for testing
  13. Thanks, that is helpful. Luckily we've only got about 80 clients and 4 servers so in comparison, it should be a short job! I was thinking of doing the same as you did with the server too, have the new one pretty much ready to go minus the data, then quickly swap
  14. ^ Agreed
  15. Good choice! Whereabouts you going? I would recommend buying seperate repellent/sun cream, simply because there are a lot more mosquitos around dusk and you wont want to be wearing sun cream in the evening! Anything with DEET is a good bet, but if over 50% you have to be careful it doesnt dissolve watch straps/clothes! I use spray with Icaridin in it, which is less harsh but still effective. Have you been to that part of the world before? Only major thing I'd say is that whatever happens, even with bad service or something, keep your cool. In Asia 'saving face' is really important and as soon as you get angry, you have pretty much no chance of resolving anything. Enjoy I love Thailand, in fact I love everywhere in SE Asia...favourite place in the world.
  16. Your prices seem a bit cheap! Especially the per hour rates Also maybe combine the health check/virus removal - eg £20 for a health check including an hour of virus removal if necessary or something.
  17. Ah, never would have noticed the print credits in there, but you're quite right, there they are! How many servers/clients have you got out of interest? How long did it take all in all?
  18. Is it just me that hates having to tell a supplier 'thanks for the quote but we're going with someone else' ? I don't mind telling them if they were far more expensive than others, but if you have gone with one quote out of several that were very similar, I find it awkward to tell them 'thanks, but no thanks' when they follow up on it..I feel guilty for effectively wasting their time. Maybe I should toughen up a bit, I'm sure they're used to it. What do you all say in this scenario?
  19. Have to say, the more I think about this, the more attractive a rebuild sounds. The strange thing with Classlink is that outside of Edugeek, there is almost nothing about it on the web, so no way to actually know if it does make deep rooted changes or not. At least with CC3/4 there is plenty of information available! Thanks for your help
  20. What a stupid website Have downloaded the download manager and it is downloading but it isnt quick. Also being 468Mb it isnt going to be too quick to upload either!
  21. There's probably a reason that it is no longer a computer shop I would also say no. Seen many come and go, and have heard of others really struggling. Very few people want/require a custom built computer anymore when they can just buy one from Dell/PC World and there is no real cost saving in buying one. As for repairs, that can easily be done from home.
  22. We actually do want to change the order, reason - there is one page which lists facilities available for hire, and as something which can bring in revenue, the school want it to be as visible as possible. Currently, you have to click 'show more pages' to see it on the search page
  23. When you do a Google search, and you look at the first result, it also displays other pages from the site underneath, together with a 'show more pages from abc.com' link. If it is your website that appears first for a given search, can you change the order or these pages? How does Google index them? By most visited? Is there any way you can get it to display a specific sub page first? I ask because our school appears as the main result when you type the full name, but they would like the second 'internal' result to be a certain page on the site, because at the minute it only appears when you click 'show more pages from' I have attached a very crude screenshot of what I mean. Have to say my knowledge of search engine optimisation etc is crude to say the least, so apologies if this is a very stupid question
  24. Nah I'm pretty sure he would be a tw@t in real life too
  25. Ok thanks. The whole process doesnt bother me too much, it's a lot of work doing a rebuild but I'm confident about it...except Exchange. Just don't know how easy it is to restore mailboxes to users from backup to a new (internal) domain. But I suppose I've got 3 months to find that out..
×
×
  • Create New...