sidewinder
Members-
Posts
3,170 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by sidewinder
-
Firefox 6 released early (a.k.a. Firefox 5 is now EOL'd)
sidewinder replied to Arthur's topic in General Chat
I'm sure we'll get used to it in time but it is quite annoying (and pointless) for the moment. Chrome has done is since the beginning (I think?) whilst Firefox hasn't, which makes it seem all the more silly - to have the first few major releases on a traditional numbering system and then to suddenly change. Years with FF3 and then suddenly go to 6 in a year. It's nonsensical because the traditional system works perfectly, major releases and minor updates are easily differentiated. -
Windows update website wont work on XP SP3 - thinks it hasn't got SP3?!
sidewinder replied to sidewinder's topic in Windows
Getting this on 3 different images now, and cant get past it like last time Will setup WSUS, although that was planned as a job to do at the end of summer, when all the urgent stuff like imaging had been done -
Windows update website wont work on XP SP3 - thinks it hasn't got SP3?!
sidewinder replied to sidewinder's topic in Windows
No rhyme or reason to this, but I ran that script a second time today, and it is now working! Very odd -
Windows update website wont work on XP SP3 - thinks it hasn't got SP3?!
sidewinder replied to sidewinder's topic in Windows
Nope, that doesn't work either Tried with both a local admin and domain admin account. Such a frustrating problem. Going to have to reinstall XP I think and hope it works next time -
Windows update website wont work on XP SP3 - thinks it hasn't got SP3?!
sidewinder replied to sidewinder's topic in Windows
mac_shinobi I'll try that now Yeah tried that one...didnt work either -
Windows update website wont work on XP SP3 - thinks it hasn't got SP3?!
sidewinder replied to sidewinder's topic in Windows
Thanks for the suggestions. I have tried installing IE8 and registering wups2.dll and it still doesnt work, this is ridiculous -
This is a rather annoying problem. Been creating a few images, all have gone fine, but the last 2 have redirected to this page when I go to windowsupdate.com or microsoftupdate.com You may be unable to access the Windows Update website from Windows XP, Windows 2000 or Windows Server 2003 if those versions of Windows are not updated to the latest Service Pack The first machine eventually let me use the site after a few attempts but the one I am doing now just will not budge. I've rebooted, tried installing updates through automatic updates first, and installed the latest Windows Update Agent. Makes no difference. I've installed off a proper XP SP3 image from the MSVLS site with our EES agreement, so no customised ISO's or anything, I just can't understand it. Anyone else had this?
-
Sorted it...I was being an idiot and not following instructions, I'd created a Ghost console boot image instead of just a Ghost one Works fine..thanks!
- 13 replies
-
- ghost
- network boot; imaging
-
(and 1 more)
Tagged with:
-
This has been useful to me. Although I can't quite get it working! The client connects to the TFTP server fine, starts PC-DOS, then brings up a load of 0x00 (00 being various numbers) on the screen, then just says 'sending status to 192.168.1.10' 'acknowledged by 192.168.1.10' over and over, like it is waiting for something Any ideas?
- 13 replies
-
- ghost
- network boot; imaging
-
(and 1 more)
Tagged with:
-
Well, when I'm pinging between servers it is coming back with IPv6 addresses, even though it is turned off? And Windows is showing the domain as "schoolname.local 2" It might be nothing, but being that 2 of the servers I was creating were DC's and DNS servers, I'm reluctant to use them now. Thankfully it isn't a huge amount of work to recreate, just time consuming (I hadn't started configuring Exchange, for example, and had only added a few users/computers) and it is only really those 2 that I'd done much work on. I've actually got a licence for SCVMM, but just hadn't got round to installing it. I think I will now
-
Had a bit of a stupid moment, I've spent the last few days creating VM's, but needed to change the RAID array. So I backed up all the VHD's and the Virtual Machines folder, formatted and copied them back (however it was now drive D:/, not E:/) As expected, Hyper-V couldnt find files to start the VM's, fine I thought, I'll just change the path in settings. This didn't work. So I stupidly deleted everything from Hyper-V, created all new VM's, and attached the old VHD's to them. Now, because it's generated a new VM, it's added new network adapters etc, and even when I set settings to what they were before, they just are not working properly....they are screwed if you will. Just seems too risky to now use them for anything. But, I have the original VHD's backed up at a state they were at yesterday, plus the Virtual Machines folder. Is there any way to import these, so they are exactly as they were before or do I need to start from scratch? I know you can't import them through Hyper-V manager but thought maybe there is a way? (By the way, I now realise that you need to export then import VM's when doing something like this. I am an idiot for just assuming you could copy the files)
-
It's Russell Square...not sure of postcode but that will find it on Google Maps
-
Next week I am changing the network to an entirely new domain, new servers, everything. Will be installing Exchange 2010, getting all settings ready offline beforehand, and then swapping everything on Monday/Tuesday next week. The only thing that's worrying me is what shall I do with incoming mail during this period? Because there may well be a fair few hours when neither Exchange server is online (hopefully it wont be any longer!) We've got Inty Maildefender which scans emails remotely before delivering them, so I thought perhaps there was a setting which could quarantine ALL mail for a while but I can't see anything. The MX record for our domain points to Inty's servers, then it is relayed through there to our server. Any other solutions? I suppose if it is just a few hours then most mail servers will keep trying to deliver mail, and the sender would just get an undeliverable report when that times out? It doesn't seem like a very elegant solution though and would like to avoid that if I can help it.
-
It doesnt appear to have any feet, just castors. Having checked said castors they look pretty strained already. I will see if I can buy some feet to put on it - some are listed on Dataracks website but I'm not sure if they sell them themselves or not
-
Thanks. Having taken another look at it I think I'll leave it, theres nothing wrong* with the current one, so £600 saved here is £600 that can be spent on more useful things. * Nothing wrong apart from just having castors, which is pretty annoying
-
We're moving all our equipment over the summer, and one of the things I wanted as part of this is a new server cabinet, as the current one doesn't seem very strong, and isnt deep enough to accomodate rackmount UPS's properly because of their odd rails. But I'm now thinking if it is a waste of money? The current one isnt old, its just not very sturdy. It's from here Dataracks - 19 inch rack computer cabinet and datacenter accessories - Dataracks and has a similar feel to it as Prism cabs I was thinking about getting one from Server Racks | Rack Shelves | Rackmount Monitors | RackSolutions UK , anyone got one from there before? They look nice and sturdy
-
Aside from the spamming, their machines were shoddy quality, and cabling work very poor. However this could have all changed now, as its been 4 years since I've had any work done by them
-
I like Stewart Lee a lot, as well as his old sidekick Richard Herring - the Collings and Herrin podcasts are what get me through commuting..so childish but hilarious Jim Jeffries, Doug Stanhope, Robin Ince, Sean Lock and Dylan Moran I like too
-
James that sounds pretty sensible actually..not sure why I didn't just think of that? Cybernerd - Agreed, /16 is far too large. /25 might be pushing it though as we have around 100 devices at one site and it doesn't give much breathing space
-
We have 3 different sites, all seperate and connected by a leased line with a firewall device at each site creating a VPN. Currently only 2 of them are joined, one has a 172.16.0.0/16 network and the other has a 192.168.0.0/24. I'm redoing the network in all sites, and I was just wondering if I was better off keeping it as is, or to go maybe with a purely /24 range (be it 172 or 192) as there are not more than 254 hosts at any of the sites. The advantage I can see with using seperate ranges is that it would be very easy to see which site a device was at, but it just seems tidier if they are all on one range.
-
Thanks for the advice
-
Looking for as portable a laptop as possible for £500 or less, but not a netbook. 13" screen ideally, nice and thin and light. Dell Inspiron M301z is a consideration, but I'm not sure about the CPU in it (Athlon II Neo) Anyone bought anything similar lately?
-
VMWare trial running out
sidewinder replied to sidewinder's topic in Thin Client and Virtual Machines
You're quite right, very simple, thanks! -
I bought a HP Microserver a few months back and installed what I thought was the free VMWare VSphere but it appears I must have downloaded the trial of the paid version because it keeps saying I've got like 15 days left to register it. If I leave it, will it just stop me accessing it or will it convert to the free version? Do I need to get the VM's off there and install VSphere Hypervisor (that is the free version right? why are their names so confusing?)
-
is 30 min drive then 1 hour on train too much?
sidewinder replied to jonny_2010's topic in General Chat
I drive for about an hour and a half each way every day. It is tiring but I've got used to it, and the job is worth it. The train would leave you less tired so it should be a do-able journey. I'd love to have the option of the train, unfortunately it takes longer than driving and costs more so I only get it occasionally. More relaxing when you can read a book or something
