Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

sidewinder

Members
  • Posts

    3,170
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by sidewinder

  1. Moving to a new flat next Saturday, and being a geek (plus I need it for work) I want broadband as soon as is humanly possible. We've been in contact with the current tenants a bit, and they are currently with Sky. I have the phone number and they are moving out this Saturday - presumably their Sky account will be cancelled from then. I did think that would make it easy to go with Sky but from a bit of quick googling it sounds like it could still take weeks. But I am assuming that if the line is rented from Sky, it would take time and money to get it back to BT, and thus be able to use other providers? I am assuming that other ISPs only deal with BT lines? Is there a way to check whether a phone number is Sky's or BT's? And if it is Sky's, anyone done something similar and have any tips for getting it done as fast as possible?
  2. Why do you have to phone? I cancelled online last night!
  3. Probably a stupid question - what do people generally wear? Comfy shoes for me is anything but my work shoes, but then I don't really want to wear trainers and shirt/trousers so was just going to go in jeans, thats ok yeah? Also why am I secretly dreading it? I'm sure it will be a useful day but I'm just imagining a day of talking to annoying salesmen, the sort of thing I usually avoid!
  4. Shame BETT isnt a few weeks later, I could get from my new flat to Olympia in 25 mins on the Overground! As it is I will be driving to Richmond as usual and then taking the train to Clapham Junction and overground to Olympia
  5. I can't believe Blockbuster are still going tbh. I guess that still have the edge in that you go and get a film to watch straight away, but they are expensive (not surprising as they have shops and staff to pay for) and as soon as a decent streaming service is launched they will surely be gone
  6. Agree with the Lovefilm selection being very poor. I was a member years ago and it was great for DVDs but stopped for various reasons. Now with the streaming on PS3 I signed up for another trial expecting the vast majority of films to be available (maybe not brand new ones but at least a decent old selection) but it was appalling. There is no way on earth I would pay for what they were offering, it was laughable
  7. Signed up, as did some friends, but never really did anything on there. It's just too similar to FB so you think why move? Especially if you're the only one. Twitter is different, so the 2 can co-exist
  8. Professionally: Massive overhaul last year so probably not as much as that, but a lot of re-wiring to do, and the small matter of moving to Windows 7. Possibly looking at VOIP. Personally: Finally moving to London (NW3) after a year of working here, that happens in 2 weeks and I'm so excited. Want to do a TEFL course for use when I want to leave this country... Get fitter and live more healthily. Have fun! I dont really plan very much
  9. Never mind, it looks like it was already setup for some reason, so I can see stats. I was hoping for a bit more detail (such as last logon) but this is fine for now. Thanks
  10. That is perfect, only problem is I can't get the farm configuration wizard to appear in the configuration wizards page From googling it doesn't look like I'm the only one with the problem, apparantly to do with permissions although I'm using the same account that I used to install SP and running the main configuration wizard as some have suggested doesnt help
  11. We have a simple Sharepoint 2010 site running hosting some documents. We would like to be able to see when a specific user has logged in or when a document was last viewed/downloaded. Is this possible? I'm quite a sharepoint n00b
  12. I've got mine running 2008R2 natively and it boots up fairly quickly. Performance seems ok too, although as its a home machine I'm only doing basic file sharing
  13. Ugh Still a holiday day here, and next to no traffic this morning but still ugh...really dont want to be in
  14. It is pretty scary reading. I hate flying personally, and this doesnt help. Pure technical malfunction is one thing - sometimes these things just happen. But when this has essentially happened because of errors by the crew, and them being unaware of exactly what was happening, it seems more scary...you put your life in their hands every time you fly Hopefully training will be improved after these findings
  15. Apps I find really useful: Tweetdeck (seems so much better than the official Twitter app) Taptu (great for news) Spotify Remote Desktop (it works so well, although using a mouse on a touchscreen isnt ideal) FXCamera (for Hipstermatic type photo effects...shame Android phone cameras are usually so bad though) Adao task Manager (quick way to kill apps and save battery) Dropbox
  16. That was the argument I had to use in my old place as storage (personal and shared) was through the roof...still had very little effect. From what I hear it has got even worse since I left. Current school is very small, 30 odd GB at the last count - and even at that level the IT teacher is eager to keep it free of junk - fine with me! I feel that if staff are unrestricted to begin with, they're less eager to change and reduce what is being used - whilst here, there was always quite modest amounts of storage available. That has changed now but I'd like to still keep it as low as possible If storage is needed I have no problem with providing it, but I dislike it just being used as a dumping ground for huge amounts of photos etc
  17. I went with CS New Media in the end, and I can see why people recommend it. Everything was set up without having to pay up front, as invoices were provided, which is great from my point of view - no waiting for something to be paid before I can get on with it! Also, they have been excellent from a support point of view, any query I've had has been answered very quickly. Very happy so far
  18. That is pretty cool, I'm jealous. We had the Championship trophy along with Neil Warnock in school after QPR won it, but I missed it
  19. Yeah I have one like that, and it is great for verifying whether a link is working, but need something a bit more advanced to check gigabit certification and cable length (so i can find where some go!) among other things
  20. That is the sort of thing I want to hear I like good personal service, especially if the site is down for some reason, the last thing I want is to have to contact a faceless call centre
  21. I did see that, but as this is a seperate company to the school (for profit rather than a charity like the school is) I don't think we would be eligible Edit: Having said that, just seen the prices for businesses and they are very low!
  22. Well the situation for the main site is complicated - before I got here the school had paid thousands to a company to do the site and they do the hosting as well. So although it might be nice to move it at some point, I'm in no rush. But it seems to be a custom CMS, so probably just PHP & MySQL So it would just be the new site for now. £29.50 is very cheap! Just thinking about how much bandwidth I should allow for, but I'm guessing it won't be huge. Suppose the main thing is having someone helpful on the end of the phone in case of any problems, and a good control panel, access to phpmyadmin etc
  23. Our main school site is already up and hosted with another company, but the school also has an 'Enterprises' arm which mainly covers leasing of sports and event facilities to the public. I've designed a simple Joomla site which is ready to go, now need to decide on hosting. The current host charges £250 a year which seems a lot, so reluctant to go with them for this one too. We already have a domain registered with 1&1 so my first thought was just to go for the business hosting on there, as I've never had any problems with them before but the web is full of horror stories about them. Noticed VeloxServ and CS New Media mentioned on here, why are they recommended over others though? Also, what sort of level of hosting should I be going for? Reliability is key, but the website itself is very simple, and I'm not expecting millions of hits or anything
  24. Well I have no idea how it works. Whether there is a portion taken out of everyones wages before tax, or whether it is covered in some other way, whatever it may be, it isn't my concern and I'm sure the bursar has it all above board.
  25. Don't know, nothing is sold at all though so it's not 'free' as such, just included, the same as it is for the pupils in their school fees.
×
×
  • Create New...