sidewinder
Members-
Posts
3,170 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by sidewinder
-
Apple stopped Volume License purchase for OSX Lion. Help!
sidewinder replied to GrahamPayton's topic in Licensing Questions
^ To be honest, if you get that in writing from them ("you can use one disc to install everywhere") I'd be tempted to do it, if that's what they are advising! -
Haven't got a problem with updating to Server 2012, will probably do it next year as well. Windows 8, for all the obvious reasons, probably not. Especially as only deploying 7 this summer.
-
Communications with ICT staff in school - how do you do it?
sidewinder replied to broc's topic in General Chat
Mobile, email, verbally School is too small for a helpdesk, and also small enough that being stopped in the corridor is not too much of a problem (even so, staff usually offer to email what they've just asked, because they know I forget!) -
It's the same as Hawkeye in tennis and cricket though, it's only used at the top level and no-one complains. In lower league football there arnt cameras capturing things from every angle, so less complaints, apart from really blatent mistakes. Can't really see this happening. I'm sure someone might in the future try to sue based on loss of prize money for an incorrect decision in a game, but it will never change the result of a match - it is accepted that the referees decision is final, even if it might not be correct when watching replays. Even terrible tackles can go unpunished if the ref sees the incident (but not the severity) and that's the way it should be, you cant start changing things after a match has finished.
-
No You can't take pictures of your lunch....
sidewinder replied to rush_tech's topic in General Chat
I might start my own blog just to show off how good the lunches are here -
How long should a .com domain take to propogate?
sidewinder replied to sidewinder's topic in General Chat
It was my fault thankfully I noticed before I contacted them I was changing the nameservers in the wrong place....changed that and 2 minutes later it's all working -
How long should a .com domain take to propogate?
sidewinder replied to sidewinder's topic in General Chat
It's with CS New Media, who I know others on here use and I've used them before and been very happy with them, so it's unlikely to be them. I've checked the DNS records and nothing seems to be amiss but I could have cocked up somewhere! I've tried querying against their DNS servers but I get 'query refused', this happens if I query my other (working) domain as well Thanks for the replies, I'll contact them, just didn't want to if I was just being impatient! -
I registered a new .com yesterday, and usually (although I've only done .co.uk before) it is accessible well within 24 hours. However now it has almost been 24 hours and whichever DNS server I query against, it doesn't seem to have propogated. If I go on this site What's My DNS? Global DNS Propagation Checker and put the domain in, every single server has a red X. Doing a WHOIS brings up my details and the nameservers so am I just being impatient? I thought 24 hours was a worst case scenario, and it's a bit worrying it isn't accessible from ANY DNS servers
-
Read&Write 9 with Adobe Acrobat X and Reader 9
sidewinder replied to dhoward_westexetc's topic in Educational Software
We used to have this at my old school and had the same problem, but as far as I can remember the method of selecting Reader as the default worked - however this was before Acrobat X so that might be why -
I spent a while configuring this over half term, and I got over the 'install in local profile' problem by doing the following: 1) Logged on as admin user and ran install, redirected it to C:\program files\Gamemaker (it still copies loads to Users\Application Data though) 2) I copied everything from the AppData folder to the Program Files folder, then copied this folder to all clients and gave students modify permission 3) On each client I ran the installer and just let it install in the default location 4) Gave students a shortcut to the Gamemaker exe on C:\Program Files and it all runs well. Step 3 was required though, not sure if it perhaps registers some system files? 5) This is only necessary if students can't access the C:\ drive - I added the Gamemaker reg entry into the HKEY_Users hive of the mandatory profile and edited all the Sprites, backgrounds, examples folders to point to a location on the network. Not sure if this method will work on W7 mind, I was doing it on XP, but I don't see any reason why not. And guess what, after doing all this, I found that the ICT suite machines won't run any completed games since the built in graphics isn't up to it (works fine on other PCs) so it was all a waste of time! lol
-
As with others, I am hoping we might sneak a win tonight but I know that we have virtually no chance of winning the tournament. I think if you accept we arnt that good, it's more enjoyable. Its the ENG-ERR-LAND idiots and the tabloids who always massively overestimate our chances Enjoyed the tournament so far though, Fridays games were the best. Gutted that Ireland were so poor yesterday
-
Multiple users won't be an issue as it will just be on my PC and no-one else uses it Also it is confusing because the site says "You can purchase software for your personally owned computer or those owned by your school" and then when you click to the next page it says for personal use only? The other thing that irks me a little is that I may well want to buy a copy for myself in the not too distant future (for actual personal use) but I won't be able to for a year if I use this as it is limited to a single CS package per year
-
Had various hardware over the years, but currently just have a Microserver for a virtual lab. Not really got the desire to have anything else!
-
Can anyone clear this up for me? I wanted a copy of CS6 to use in school, and the reseller I purchased it off has sent me Student and Teacher edition. They say it is ok to use in school. I'm not so sure it is, being that on the box it says it may only be used on your privately owned computer?
-
I think switches are best at the front anyway, because you need to be able to see the status lights. And they look cool
-
Yeah it does seem like madness putting sockets at the front....being that all the power is coming out of the backs of devices!
-
For packages that aren't available directly from the publisher, where does everyone tend to buy educational software? I know of Pugh and Academia, but haven't used either. Are there any other notable ones? Mainly looking for a single copy of CS6 at the minute, but would be useful to have a good supplier for other software too.
-
Nice photos. I sometimes forget how beautiful England can be!
-
I've asked for a quote for PCs including SSDs and they have specified OCZ drives. Should I insist on Intel or Crucial or go with what they recommend? On one hand I'm thinking that if I get failures then it is their job to replace them anyway, but then I still don't want failures because it means downtime for a computer.
-
Ideas for creating forms to be emailed and returned
sidewinder replied to sidewinder's topic in General Chat
Thanks, I'll have a look at that. I have now found out how to save it for Adobe Reader in Acrobat but would still like a cleaner solution -
Our school has various facilities that it hires out, and so requires users to sign a contract of agreement. To speed things up, we try to do this electronically. Previously I was using an old version of Acrobat Pro to create a PDF form which could be saved and sent back - but the saving only works in older versions of Adobe Reader. It seems unless you have Adobe Lifecycle then this isn't going to be possible. I've even tried other PDF form creators but hit by the same limitation when trying to save with Adobe Reader. So is there a better solution that I am missing? I know there are ways to get just the data emailed back to you, and then you can import it back into the form, but I'd rather avoid this step. We do have a website (running Joomla) that I thought perhaps I could install an extension to make an online form, but again that isn't going to email back a completed copy ready to print...or is there a way to do this online? Doesnt have to be a PDF, could equally be a HTML file Any ideas?
-
Are you stuck in 1996?
-
Appreciate you already realise this but argggghhhhh those things really, really put me off a site
