sidewinder
Members-
Posts
3,170 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by sidewinder
-
Enjoyed the show all in all though there wasn't much that made me go wow. Still just about worth going to. Excel is a way better venue than Olympia, so much more space, though it was quite confusing to find my way around. Nice to have more space to take a break in the central area, and loads of choice of food, though some more benches would have been nice
-
Great, thanks
-
For anyone that has already been this week, are there left luggage facilities at Excel? I'm going to Brighton tomorrow evening after I've visted, and it would help me immensely if I didn't have to traipse back across London just to pickup my backpack from home
-
I'm all for more railway capacity but whilst I'm not exactly against this, I'm not hugely for it either. It's going to take an absolute age to build, and in some cases doesn't seem to reduce the journey time by a huge amount (though I am thinking of journey times from London only) eg London to Newcastle in 138 rather than 172 minutes...doesn't seem earth shattering to me considering how much it will cost. That said London to Manchester in an hour or so is a big improvement. Also surely once it is built, a two tier system will exist, the new line will be very expensive, and the current lines become the cheaper alternative, leaving no real benefit for most people? Though if they are planning to divert all passenger trains onto the new line, fair enough. And because it's Britain, and train travel is stupidly expensive, how will it deter people from flying instead? Unless they're just banking on the fact air travel will have become much more expensive by 2030
-
Do you bother replacing old, but working smartboards?
sidewinder replied to sidewinder's topic in AV and Multimedia Related
Ok that's good to know, I was doing the right thing then . A new projector makes a huge difference to a dim 5 year old one, but yeah, a smartboard is just an input device -
This is something I've never been sure about. All projectors are on a replacement cycle but for Smartboards I've only ever replaced them when they arnt working. We've got lots of 5 series boards about - they look old fashioned and the old serial cable is annoying, but technically they work fine, so in a way it seems like a waste of money. Should I be pre-empting problems and replacing or keeping them until they die (some are probably over 10 years old now)
-
I've been granted leave in Feb/early March, almost all in term time, to attend a friend's wedding in Australia. But I've heard no mention from the school about arranging support while I'm away. I'm the network manager and in fact the only member of the IT department (it is a small school). I'm not concerned about day to day things while I'm away, the staff are reasonably competent and the IT teacher is good at helping staff with the basic problems. Also I'll be taking my laptop away so I'll be able to respond to emails, restore files, fix small server issues (albeit with a massive time difference). It's more the power failure and physical server failures I'm worried about. The network is no trouble at all usually, but we all know what happens as soon as we take a day off, let alone be halfway round the world.... Thing is, the support is (hopefully) unlikely to be needed, so don't want to pay too much, just have someone on standby that could come and diagnose if necessary. Someone from a local school would be great, but we're an independant and I don't have great (any) links with NMs at other schools. So are there any specialist companies that could do this type of support for a school? Only come in emergencies for a few weeks? Anyone done anything similar? We used to be supported by Viglen, and I'm sure they would do short term cover, but from past experience things would end up worse than having no-one helping...
-
The funniest thing is that I bet nothing on that CD is of any use on a modern smartphone...the whole thing looks like it's from an early 2000s timewarp Also lol @ your friends wont believe their eyes when you show them 'TV quality' 'AVI clips' being played in widescreen!!! Tbh although he is a scammer, if anyone is so thick they cannot even read the description before bidding on something like a phone, they kind of deserve it. The kind of auctions where they are made to look real but in tiny text say' you are bidding on a box' I do sympathise with buyers but not this one.
-
I bought about 10...touch wood so far had no problems with them since the summer and all decent parts used, but as mentioned they are flimsy. I'm unsure whether I would go for them again
-
Kids were allowed to be picked up from ours from 1, I left at 1.30 (only have to get agreement from my line manager) and got home just as half of the overground was getting shut down. But now it's totally stopped snowing and all the trains are running again so I feel a bit bad! I just thought it would get worse and worse. Oh well...
-
I think we have 7 out of 120-130 machines left on XP. 2 are library machines, which I can upgrade at the next holiday, one is a very old laptop and the rest are bursary staff - took forever to get re-installation instructions for some BACS software...so they can be done soon too. Can't stand XP anymore, feels so outdated after using 7 for a few years
-
You haven't said if there is anyone else in the household besides your wife? If it is just two of you and she already has a laptop, just sell/recycle all the old stuff and buy yourself a new machine. I'm all for recycling and re-using but there is a limit. Your situation sounds like a lot of clutter! Even if you have a few kids it might be less hassle to get them a decent second hand laptop to share or something
-
[website] Innovations Catalogue from 1987
sidewinder replied to mattx's topic in Jokes/Interweb Things
That is quite fascinating Same sort of worthless gadgets as now...we haven't come very far! -
Yes it will work, s demonstrated by whichever company installed AV in classrooms before I got here. I don't think they'd heard of speaker cable. Have had plenty snap because the wire is so thin, and teacher wonders why the sound has gone off
-
I have gone right off Policy Central
sidewinder replied to laserblazer's topic in Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
Hideous software...well it was a few years ago anyway Far too resource intensive and problems galore with the client Doesnt sound like it's got much better. Would never use it again -
I dont Want them (or one) some day but luckily my girlfriend is a few years younger than me and wants to wait until she's 29/30 (4/5 years) which suits me fine - got a lot of travelling and living I want to do first
-
If he doesn't want a huge phone, surely that rules out the SIII? As good as it is
-
Expanding our IP range - possibly a stupid question
sidewinder replied to sidewinder's topic in Wired Networks
Thanks for that. I guess I will weigh up the options - change the subnet or VLAN....certainly isn't needed quite yet, it was more I was wondering about the compatibility with the other sites. Tbh it might actually be less work to create a VLAN for clients on 192.168.2.0/24 Also in answer to your question, we're routed statically -
Ok...we have 3 sites, all currently with a class C /24 address range: Site A - 192.168.1.0/24 Site B - 192.168.5.0/24 Site C - 192.168.10.0/24 Each giving 254 hosts per site. None have run out yet, but site A is the most likely to (site B & C very unlikely) By supernetting, and changing the subnet mask to /23 I can expand to 510 hosts per subnet right? So 192.168.0.1 - 192.168.1.254 in site A? But if I do this for site A, would I have to do ir for the other sites and any future sites/VLANs too? Or could the others stay on /24? Or would an easier solution be to have both 192.168.1.0/24 and 192.168.2.0/24 for site A and route between them?
-
Freecycle...someone will want them or have a bonfire
-
All files on a share become hidden - anyone seen this?
sidewinder replied to sidewinder's topic in Windows
We use Sophos, will be setting a full scan over the weekend on all the other servers. Not had anything reported from clients yet. Then again I dont fully trust Sophos.. Shortcuts are all gone now, and luckily it was on a hidden apps share so no-one could click the things (I may have once, probably on the server, which has now been cleaned) Dread to think what would have happened if it had affected the shared area... -
All files on a share become hidden - anyone seen this?
sidewinder replied to sidewinder's topic in Windows
Update on this, as nothing else went wrong, I forgot to check this thread, until it happened again this week. And upon checking the shortcuts, they were launching a command of some sort - so I knew then it was a virus. I've scanned the share with several tools and sure enough there were a few trojans there, but all cleaned up now. Just to be safe I've moved the share to a brand new VM -
Ha, seen lots of that in Asia, always amusing. Suppose it's secure enough to steal if enough people do it - what electric company is going to want to decipher where all that goes!
-
what's your home system(s) and what do they do....
sidewinder replied to twin--turbo's topic in General Chat
2011 Macbook Pro, 2.7Ghz i7, 16GB RAM, 256 + 128GB SSDs - pretty much use this for everything Dell Optiplex 760 C2D desktop for me and flatmates to use in the lounge Microserver with 8GB RAM & various HDs running 2008 Hyper-V but tbh it stays switched off usually...dont have the time or inclination. Should probably set it up as a NAS and actually get some use out of it -
Update - I got one through with coat hanger and cable ties. Gave up on the others for now. Think I may revert to the first few responses and buy a drill!
