sidewinder
Members-
Posts
3,170 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by sidewinder
-
Last year we bought a TS-879U-RP with 8x 2Tb drives for our main file and VM backup, and I love it. I'd like a second one at our other site but only have a budget of about £1000 (ex VAT), which rules out anything like the one we have. Only want it to replicate from the first one, so the lower spec 1U models will probably be fine, but they do SO many almost identical models, most of which have very similar specs, so unsure which to get? Also prices seem all over the place online. After at least 8Tb, but if any more can be done for this price that would be amazing
-
How do you successfully manage your backups and...
sidewinder replied to Nausing's topic in Cloud Services
Yeah I've thought that before - server hardware is relatively quick to get up and running, cabling isn't. Though I guess in such a scenario draping some CAT5 along corridors and between windows wouldn't be the end of the world until it could get sorted properly -
How do you successfully manage your backups and...
sidewinder replied to Nausing's topic in Cloud Services
I'm quite lucky from a DR point of view as we have 3 sites, 2 down the road from each other, the 3rd on another street. There are very few disasters likely to affect all 3 sites...even a plane crash would struggle (though a big flood might not) Anyway I back up to a NAS at the main site, which is at the other end of the building to the server room. Then I duplicate to a USB HD and take to the 3rd site. And backup straight to USB on the second site and again take to 3rd site. 3rd site is backed up to 1st site. Will be adding another NAS in the summer to the second site so they can back up to each other and along with the USB HD's essentially have a system where everything is backed up everywhere. -
This calculator Bitcoin Mining Calculator comes out at $15.41 or £9.90 a day from that. Does that cover the electric cost of running 64 PCs all day long?
-
Case in point: that article was 2 years ago. He probably was making a lot of money then. He won't be now.
-
That's an almost certain no. Would have been possible in the past but as the mining always increases in difficulty (as there will only ever be a finite number of bitcoins) it's just not worth it. All the exposure Bitcoins have got recently has probably made it even harder as everyone and their dog wants a go. Seen lots of people trying to calculate it and the general consensus is, unless your electricity is free, it isn't worth it. It might be profitable if you happened to already have loads of machines with extremely high end graphics cards but still not for long
-
This isn't really a help thread, as my setup of NPS for Radius and integrating it with our Ruckus went surprisingly smoothly! If I connect to the staff SSID, I get prompted for a username and password, enter it and it connects. Perfect. But my question is, how long will that device then connect without the staff having to re-enter details? I took my iPad home and brought it back today and it connected again without details required (though I did have to turn wireless off and on for it to work) The server certificate that gets installed is valid for 1 year, so is that how long? I just don't want to send out details to staff saying one thing and then a week later they all complain they have to re-enter their logins (not that it's a big deal!)
-
I've had this with a whole batch of PC's, none connected to VGA splitters, they were obviously just supplied with terrible quality VGA leads. Changing for any other cable solves the problem
-
Last one I went on the groom wanted to do an assault course, so that's what was arranged. A long slug through waist deep water and mud, slithering under barbed wire and climbing walls. Absolutely brutal and it was the start of Feb so was freezing. Only just about staved off the hypothermia to go out drinking in the evening
-
No, despite living a stones throw from Wembley, I can't justify £45/50 for a friendly! Will be watching on TV though
-
We have several Watchguard boxes here and are really happy with them. I've always got the hardware and security renewals through a supplier I know but have got no idea whether the prices are ok or not. Any resellers on here that can provide live security/web blocker etc renewals especially and also possibly hardware, or can edugeekers recommend anyone?
-
Presumably this one went down as soon as you switched it on and will never come back online? /obviousjoke
-
Quick update to this, we went for the Microsoft ones in the end, purely because the headphones themselves looked more sturdy than the Logitech. We've had superb results with Dragon, and the staff are really happy with them. So I would recommend
-
Mac Mini Server recently started hanging/crashing constantly
sidewinder replied to sidewinder's topic in Mac
Fixed this...as usual it was something simple - the clock was wrong and I'd typed an unresolvable IP address into the NTP server box (accidentally) -
Ok, we have a 2011 Mac Mini Server running 10.6.8. Old OS, but it works, or it used to. It's not mission critical, all it really does is hold a shared folder for the Macs, and provide managed settings via OD. It's an Open Directory master and also bound to AD But recently I noticed the shared folder wasn't appearing, started looking at the server, and it's just impossible to use. Everything I try and do seems to hang the machine. Opening workgroup manager is the worst - it completely hangs and force quit often wont even work. Now at this point I thought it might be some problem with authentication but I can't check it as I can never get into it! System prefs also competely crashes, in fact almost everything does. Yet activity monitor does not report high CPU or memory usage, nor excessive network traffic. However, if I unplug the network cable, it's all fine. Everything opens. So it has to be network related. I've run Wireshark on another PC to see if there are excessive broadcasts which could shed light on it, but not really. Quite a few MDNS queries, but not an excessive amount. I thought it could be the Impero client, as I realised it was still on the old 3.1.16 version, but updating to 3.5.02 hasn't stopped it. And the issues still occur when Impero is not running. The only thing I have recently changed is the default gateway, as I VLANed the mac clients and so had to point the server at my L3 switch. I haven't actually tried changing this back to what it was (the router) yet. I know it's very broad but any ideas? It was working fine until recently. Problem is I used to administer OS X Server a lot at my old job but barely touch it now, so I'm a bit stuck! I should note that all the client Macs are working fine. They're bound to AD, also running 10.6.8 (though not server) and log in fine with no real freezes.
-
I'd happily take a tech for 7 hours a week to cover whiteboard and printer issues!
-
Pretty huge news. Not even close to being a Utd fan but have always admired and respected him, even though he can be an arse on occasions. Incredible to think he's been there since I was 2 years old, the whole time I've followed football he's been ever present. Expected him to go a couple more years to be honest
-
An interesting read and it's incredible how much has changed. This bit made me chuckle: "Do you really want your server to be accessible through the Internet? Think about the security issues! A Netware server running IPX can be placed directly on the internet without security concerns. The perfect firewall: A server which absolutely ignores all Internet traffic, without the configuration and maintenance issues of a firewall! Though I suppose it made some sort of sense at the time. Not having ever really used Netware though, I can just imagine it being a giant PITA trying to run something other than TCP/IP these days
-
Judging whether a shot was 'over' was always fun. Usually someone would score from close range but still manage to put it over the fence, leading to a heated debate about how high it was when it crossed the line Also Wembley singles/doubles? Never heard that in my life. Was always World Cup singles/doubles at school (and for many years afterwards)
-
To clarify this, I meant only if I could get the HP for the price of the Netgear I like HP stuff but as a small school it doesn't make sense to spend many x the price on their switches. My core switch is a stack of a GSM7352S and GSM7328S which haven't missed a beat since being installed. They have all the featuires a decent L3 switch needs and I'm really happy with them. It's only the GS748T I'm not too keen on, though theres nothing wrong with it
-
Yeah tbf if I had the choice and the price was the same, I'd always go for HP too.
-
Can't speak for the HP but the Netgear is ok, very loud but haven't had any problems with the 48 port version. Suspect most people will say go for HP though
-
Still running SP1 here, really need to upgrade, am I likely to encounter any issues going straight from SP1 (other than it presumably taking longer)? Was scared off doing SP2 a bit after reading a few horror stories on here
-
As long as you make sure there is enough alcohol at the reception I can't see what else you have to worry about (Congrats btw)
-
Switching off networked computers from the server
sidewinder replied to Renfield-64's topic in Windows Server 2012
Impero Though obviously would be overkill if you got it just for shutting down PCs
