Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

sidewinder

Members
  • Posts

    3,170
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by sidewinder

  1. Not seen that but generally from what I've read about Five Guys I don't think I'm going to bother going anytime soon
  2. Went to Patty & Bun on Friday. The burger was possibly the best I've had so far. The chips were sensational. The coleslaw less so. And the staff were extremely friendly which makes a change from MeatLiquor
  3. All fair points I was thinking it would make sense for college and uni students in this country as they do have to buy textbooks, and being able to get them digitally on a device which can also do a lot of other things is a no brainer
  4. I just think the whole situation of parents having to pay for devices is wrong. You don't have to pay for textbooks so why an iPad? If they want to provide one for each child the school should fund it themselves. Personally, although I see a value of iPads in education, I believe in them being school owned devices, similar to a set of laptops. I can see some advantages of personal ownership but I don't think they are worth the vast cost and misuse potential involved. For older pupils and sixth formers it makes more sense, but on the basis of 'if you have one you can bring it in' with school owned devices for loan for those who don't, not 'you must buy an ipad'
  5. Into the second week of holidays here too Quite lucky as I would have struggled wearing shirt and trousers the last few weeks. Its been shorts every day
  6. I know its not a big job but this is a pain. A few times we've had new staff join, so I create a login, then in September they start and it turns out they got married over the summer and didn't bother to inform anyone their name would be different when they started the job! Also had one who got married, asked for it to be changed, then decided she would prefer to use her maiden name so wanted it changed back again
  7. I'd also like to know this. Our installs really need to be updated but I'm loathe to do it for the reason you mention. Also the unsupported message with 5 series boards is annoying....they seem to work but presumably not as we'll as newer ones?
  8. Why? If the only choice of school dinner is a huge portion of pizza and chips fair enough but if its a sensible sized decent cooked meal why cant you have another cooked meal at dinner? I always eat 2 cooked meals a day in term time granted i am a 29 year old man...
  9. Havent used Ghost in a couple of years but I think the answer is yes. I had it setup like this and once booted it would be the same as doing it from a CD, you can type in which session to connect to
  10. Ok that story alone is enough for me to just go to the supermarket and get them, thanks!
  11. I would be surprised if the answer to this question isn't yes, but I'll double check anyway. Having a new cab put in with fibre between it and the server room, which will be OM4. Will also use OM4 patch cables. We have 2 spare SFP modules, couple of years old, they work fine with our OM3 fibre run, will it be fine with OM4? Is the grade of fibre irrelevant in this case?
  12. We've got a few iPads for teachers to take over the summer, trial apps and report back in September. Obviously we don't want to link the school credit card to the Apple ID so gift cards seem the most sensible way. But how should I buy them? If I buy them from the Apple Store using another Apple ID (We do have one with the credit card on file) will it give me the code straight away which I can add to the other account? Or am I better off just going to the supermarket and buying physical cards??
  13. This is brilliant Sad that I only bought Badland last week but the rest more than make up for it!
  14. A few weeks ago I managed to create a basket on the apple education store for 22 of Mountain Lion, Garageband and iMovie, at £6 ex VAT for each copy of Mountain Lion and £4.88 for each of the apps. Ticked a box to ask Apple to contact me but they never did. So I called their education department today and they've kind of just fobbed me off to a company called Jigsaw24 - who look fine, but seem to add a quid or two on top of the prices I got from Apple. Why can't I buy direct?
  15. OK so the Big B was really good, far better than Byron's standard burgers. However when it costs a tenner it's hard to recommend it as that is more than any burger at Meat Liquor and probably any of the other places, and it wasn't as good.
  16. Patty and Bun does look very, very good. May well make that my next one
  17. Just as bad are the USB cables on there: Kimber Select KS-2436Ag USB Cable : information Handcrafted in the USA Int... Only £686? Better get one for the head's printer! Thing is, when everything was analogue the quality of cable did matter somewhat so there was at least some basis for charging a *bit* more for quality cables. It is virtually fraud that they are continuing to do it with digital cables
  18. Harsh, I'd say that title belongs to Gourmet Burger Kitchen. Byron arn't mindblowing but they at least know how to make a decent burger
  19. Heading to Byron tonight to try one of their Big B's which are apparently amazing. Wasn't bowled over by their standard burgers but this should be good. Also go to Dirty Burger in Kentish Town quite often which is a great little shack at the back of a pizza place. And have tried Meat Liquor & Market. No others so far, but will definitely check out Five Guys soon
  20. Whatever you end up getting, get it from someone decent, be it VeryPC, Stone, Novatech, Zoostorm, anything that can at least give you a decent warranty and let you spec it out, and probably get it to you really quickly. Would really advise not going to PC World for this
  21. Always have a shower in the morning, occasionally in the evening too but only if it's been really hot. Couldn't not have one in the morning, especially in the summer when it's quite warm at night Although was at Glasto until Monday and still surprisingly smelt ok despite no shower in 5 days! (used wetwipes though)
  22. Hi, we're in Richmond, SW London and it would be a donation
  23. I've got a 640 which has been cluttering up the server room for the last year or so if you want that? It comes with a pen tray and should still work fine but probably doesn't have any pens with it. We upgraded it to a 660 and as that is the minimum size around the school I can't see it being used. Only thing is I'm going away for nearly a week after tomorrow so couldn't dig it out till I get back
  24. @SpuffMonkey that is awesome. I've been meaning to sort one out here but wasn't sure on the format - yours is a great starting point, thanks
  25. Also searching for 'started threads' from a profile (was trying to check on a thread I'd made) only brings results up until January 2009! Something very strange going on
×
×
  • Create New...