Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

sidewinder

Members
  • Posts

    3,170
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by sidewinder

  1. God yeah those were awful. Felt like they were filled with concrete. I think aside from those, I haven't handled a CRT in nearly 10 years. I take flatscreens for granted these days, some configurations of rooms and suites just wouldn't be possible with CRTs. Still miss being able to select any resolution and not have it look blurry though!
  2. We've just had 7 4065 Smart Interactive TVs installed, and I'm having problems with the software I've been installing Smart 2015 on each, and some are fine, but others have an issue where although the touch works perfectly, I cannot write anything in Smart Notebook 15 - well I can, and it appears on the preview page on the left hand side but the sheet itself stays completely blank, whether I write with a pen, mouse, with the smartboard connected or disconnected. Screenshot attached to show what I mean - the preview on the left I'd written on the main page. Any ideas?
  3. The BT ones never seem to work at all. Every time I'm out and about and I can't get online, I look and it's because I've connected to a BT-Fon hotspot. I'm signed in and using the app, it works slowly occasionally but rarely. I wonder what percentage of peoples internet connections it shares, it can't be very much. The idea is nice though, happy to share a bit of my WiFi in return for access elsewhere - if it works
  4. The server keys usually activate servers and client versions of the same level and below, so the 2012 KMS should do W7
  5. It's frustrating, the whole point of EES is to get the latest versions as they come out. I'm pretty sure back when W7 came out volume licensing received it earlier than retail?
  6. Just wanted to point out this is codswallop - I've been using a US MBP for years and have never had any problems with the App store. Why would a laptop be limited to a certain region? The hardware (keyboard aside) is identical.
  7. Slight thread hijack - I currently use CS New Media for my personal site and the renewal is coming up, they charge £10 + vat which seems pointless paying if I can get it for £3.49 at 123 - is it worth changing purely for price or too much hassle? Never actually changed registrar before
  8. It would surprise me hugely. No doubt people have been working on it since the day they were released but I'd imagine there is a lot of security in the way of them reverse engineering them. Also while the architecture may be the same, it isn't like either console uses off the shelf parts, its all custom designed. Probably in the long term it is more likely than the last gen but I'd eat a lot of hats if it's done within the next year. Also at this point a PC powerful enough to run the games would cost at least as much as one of the consoles so there isn't a huge price incentive.
  9. Thanks for that. Wonderful news about the ST2000DM001: Note25 This hard drive series initially passed our lab compatibility test and was included in the recommended HDD list. However, during the last few months, we have received an overwhelming number of support requests regarding this hard drive series. The high failure rate of this hard drives series has raised concerns over risks of data loss. Therefore, we have no choice but to remove this series from the recommended HDD list. For users who have already installed this series of HDD on their Turbo NAS, QNAP will continue to provide technical supports as requested. So not sure what to do now! I've sent them a support request to see what they suggest, but worried about the whole lot now!
  10. After little more than a year it looks as if we have a failed disk on one of our QNAP NAS boxes. Have done checks and scans and it comes back with bad blocks. Question is, when replacing it, do I need the exact same model number of drive? They are all 2Tb Seagate disks, exact model number ST2000DM001-9YN164 which I don't seem to be able to find from anywhere in the UK. I can find a ST2000DM001 but I presume it will be a slightly different model with different firmware - will this be ok?
  11. School breaks up Friday, working pretty hard next week, working 2nd/3rd Jan then off to travel the world for a year and a bit So quite looking forward to that!
  12. I've managed 2 Apple networks on .local domains and while there are occasional issues, and it would be better if the domain wasn't .local, I've never even considered changing the domain. FWIW I don't get the issues you describe very often at all - once in a blue moon but usually they end up connecting after 30 seconds or so
  13. Pretty sure Ontrack do that. Only had quotes from them but I'd expect any data recovery company worth their salt to have facilities like that. The time when you really find out how important that data is, is when you tell the teacher how much it will cost. Someone here had a drive fail and desperately needed work back, when I got a quote back for £400 they were suddenly 'oh well dont worry about it'
  14. I very rarely use them, but it wouldn't be the smartest idea to close them. Reduce them at big stations maybe but there needs to be some prescence. 24 hour opening though? Fantastic, though in fairness the night buses aren't too bad You should know that the tube is rarely the best route anywhere from Richmond!
  15. Have had these calls too. Its one thing to say this to get past reception, but to actually say it to the network manager is crazy
  16. I'm trying to see as much live music as I can before I leave London, went to see CHVRCHES last month in Shepherd's Bush and they were amazing, saw Jackson Scott at The Lexington last week which was ok, seeing Austra at Koko a week on Monday which I am so looking forward to, Pawws on 5th December and XFM Winter Wonderland in Brixton in December too
  17. Not sure I'd go as far as seeing her live but I do agree with you. I'm not a pop fan by any stretch but she is pretty good
  18. That is awesome...I would love to see him one day...would be all over that if it was closer. In fairness I suspect I've missed him in London quite a few times...he's here next year but I won't be in the country
  19. Yeah I make sure I get in early too, not for seating as we have a staff room but to avoid the stream of kids ambling around the canteen not looking where they're going with full plates of food in their hands!
  20. Sad for the employees but they need to put it out of its misery. No buyer will be able to change the fact no-one wants physical rentals anymore. They should have closed all the stores and concentrated on improving their streaming/mail order business.
  21. Love the tiny cubes of reformed chicken breast there also correct me if I'm wrong but that looks like it has zero flavour. I'm another lucky one who has a decent cooked meal for free every day. Steak & kidney pie with parsley mash and braised veg today
  22. Enabled here and never even considered turning it off - mainly because I've never found any reason to do so. Amazed there is still software that can't deal with it. I like it because if someone needs something installed like a one off plugin or update I can just go their desk and pop an admin password in without having to log them off.
  23. All good advice, and for this reason I personally wouldn't bother hosting Wordpress internally, unless you were using it only internally. Hosting is so cheap and easy, and they can take care of the security (though you still need to be careful with passwords)
  24. Yeah I sort of discounted it before half term as it was just Publisher then, but just this afternoon seen it happen on Word. There is a PS universal HP driver so could give that a go
×
×
  • Create New...