Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

sidewinder

Members
  • Posts

    3,170
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by sidewinder

  1. Meh, I just use scissors if I can't find one. No room for mistakes with those so I've got quite good at it
  2. Always hands. Can't stand pub or restaurant burgers that are really tall, that's an instant fail. Not to mention those burgers usually tend to be overcooked and dry with a cold bun. Yuck. A burger should be handheld, a bit messy with a soft toasted bun that holds together
  3. Yup exactly the same for me years ago too Totally cannot be bothered these days. Just have a small PC running Kodi under the TV with a few USB drives plugged into it, haven't even got a NAS
  4. I just use Impero to schedule it - easy to quickly disable or change
  5. On the subject of finance websites, anyone's school use BacsActive? Another IE only one with an ActiveX control, plus you have to make various changes to the IE security settings such as accepting any old SSL cert, it's a bit worrying. Plus just for a laugh the ActiveX control disables itself when it feels like it, leaving people able to log in but not actually be able to connect to BACS
  6. Good god no. I dont mind drilling holes to put up a network point or AP but I'm just not skilled enough to be mounting projectors (safely) Would do one with the help of the caretaker but generally get the pros in. And now generally anything new we buy will be a massive interactive display on a balance box, that really is a job for a professional installer
  7. Via the UI on the server, had never even heard of Enterprise Manager Looks like I do have the enterprise version so will have to check it out, thanks!
  8. Veeam for VM and Backup Exec 2010 for data but soon will ditch BE totally, utterly pointless backing data up twice. Until recently I didn't realise Veeam did file level backup either. It's a bit of a faff to restore but it does work, and it's rare I have to do it. Oh and D2D2D, dumped tapes years ago
  9. The key part of what I said - unless they are required. If they are required then the work and knowledge needed to get them going is worth doing, and they integrate fairly well. Things have definitely improved over when I first started using them. However introducing them just because you happen to have some lying around and want to use them as general use machines just adds a needless extra layer of complexity to your network. I'll agree they do last a long time....as long as you replace the dog slow 5400RPM drives.
  10. I guess my first question would be how good are they? Whats the spec? Doesn't seem a particularly useful donation if you have no need for them! I can understand you'll want to use free equipment but if there is nothing which requires Mac specific software, it's a lot* of work setting them up for AD etc and you lose a lot of management, plus almost all of your software, just for the sake of having 10 extra machines. I love Macs, absolutely love them, but using them on a Windows network never has been, and still isn't, ideal, unless they are required. Personally I'd bootcamp them if you desperately need extra machines. Or sell them and buy PCs as someone else suggested. If you want to keep them to learn OS X then cool, but 10 iMacs sitting around for playing with would take up a lot of space * No, isn't a lot of work to get them bound to AD and let people log in. But there always ends up being more to it than that
  11. It's interesting to play about with but fundamentally it doesn't do anything different to various different apps such as Citymapper or even the TfL site. And it doesn't consider that tube isn't always the quicket way which is why apps like Citymapper are so good. That said, in a well designed app form it could be quicker than typing in stations on your phone if you could just click on 2 stations As an aside, I always find the TfL site slightly lacking in common sense - it will suggest multiple changes for the sake of saving a minute which really, no-one is going to do. There is rarely a time when I can get a sensible result for a journey without fiddling with the options
  12. Why would you love it? I certainly wouldn't want to be forced to clock in and out, same as teachers wouldnt.
  13. Seriously, shop bought pancakes? It's 4 ingredients, mixed and poured into a pan for 30 seconds. There is no-one on earth who cannot make that. I thought the pre mixed batter was bad enough!
  14. Thanks, am reconfiguring now, hopefully will help. Appreciate all the time you've spent on this! Not sure what you mean about the reverse lookup zones, all of the servers have all of the reverse lookup zones, is that not right?
  15. I thought DNS servers were supposed to point to themselves first? That's how I've always had it setup. 192.168.1.2 is the FSMO holder yes. It's also the only DHCP server for all sites. Each sites scope has just the DNS server for that site (or both for the main site) 192.168.5.x and 192.168.10.x are different subnets. All are /24. I should probably mention as well that although I built this network from scratch, I went away for 18 months and then came back, so it's sometimes tough to remember what was setup before I left and what was changed while I was away
  16. DC1 - IP - 192.168.1.2, DNS 192.168.1.2 & 127.0.0.1 DC2 - IP - 192.168.1.3, DNS 192.168.1.3 - the network is detected as public on this one, need to look into that DC3 (2nd site) - IP - 192.168.5.5, DNS 192.168.5.5 & 192.168.1.2 DC4 (3rd Site) - IP - 192.168.10.2, DNS 127.0.0.1 IPv6 is switched off on all of them except DC4 All the Name Server and (same as parent foldr) A records are present on each DNS server
  17. I have had replication problems with sysvol between geographical sites which I haven't yet got to the bottom of, whether related I don't know
  18. Yeah did that and it passed 3 different geographical sites connected with leased lines But the problem happens even just on the main site Also this setup has been in place for well over a year, only the last few months have there been problems
  19. Yes 2 DCs at this main site and one each at other sites connected with 100Mb links. dcdiag replication tests and repadmin show no errors though
  20. Done both and all passed except for failing the systemlog portion of the standard dcdiag due to it by the looks of it trying to communicate with a Google DNS server we have as a forwarder. The DNS test itself all passed though
  21. Atari 2600 - the only console my parents let me have until I was 8 - Space Invaders, Empire Strikes Back (what a terrible game) Sega Megadrive - Sonic 2, Streetfighter 2, Micro Machines, FIFA Game Boy - Mario, Tetris, Pinball Dreams Playstation - Gran Turismo, FFVII, Time Crisis, MGS, ISS N64 - Mario 64, Goldeneye Dreamcast - Crazy Taxi, MSR, Virtua Tennis Gamecube - Mario Kart, Burnout Playstation 2 - GTA, FIFA Xbox - literally never played it. Used it for XBMC Wii - Mario Kart, Excite Truck, Wii Sports PS3 - GTA, FIFA, Wipeout, Uncharted PS4 - GTA, FIFA, Rocket League, Fallout 4 So essentially all I seem to play is football and driving games... Also I had to look so many up because I literally could not remember a single game for that system
  22. Got a suite of 23 of them and they've been great so far, though it is only for Junior ICT so not exactly taxing. Only real problem I've had with them are the PSUs are absolute crap - supplied with adapters for worldwide use but breathing is enough to disconnect the brick and plug - I've started gluing them together now
  23. Sadly the issue is still present. Every single day this week I've had calls saying youtube isn't working on the theatre computer. And every time there is no DNS record. But I've done a manual ipconfig/registerdns 2 days in a row, where is the record going? It's not long enough for the lease to expire (if it's renewed on bootup why does it dissapear?) and certainly not long enough to be scavenged. Just to make it more confusing, on this particular PC, there is absolutely no error logged from the DNS client like I posted in the original post. It's driving me insane
  24. Hi Anthony, would be interested in a price please, yes
  25. Sorry replied before I saw your edit OK will give that a go, thanks Oh, and no conflicts or duplication - the records get totally deleted, and not from scavenging. Often I'll ping a machine and no A record can be found at all.
×
×
  • Create New...