Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

sidewinder

Members
  • Posts

    3,170
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by sidewinder

  1. Am I the only one who read the thread title and thought 'Surely the plastic would melt'?
  2. It was quite a few years ago now, but bought a core switch from them and over a couple of years I think about 4 or 5 out of 32 fibre ports failed, so wasn't overly impressed. The fact it was purple and looked cool in the rack is about the best thing I'd say about it, which says a lot. May be a lot different now, but personally I'd stick with a vendor there is a lot more information about such as HP Edit: having said all that, apart from the ports failing it was pretty rock solid, I just didn't like it
  3. I'm sure that question will be met with a hearty laugh by most We bought 18 mac minis last summer, together with Applecare agreements. I didn't realise that you had to register each one, until today, by some miracle 364 days after we ordered them. So I thought I would be ok to register them, but they require proof of purchase. And school breaks up tomorrow. And I can't see the bursar finding time to dig out some old invoices before then. And I'm going away on Thursday for a week. What are the chances of Apple accepting a late registration of them next week if I can show they were all purchased together JUST over a year ago?
  4. Reading the words Viglen and Classlink I feel your pain
  5. I went for the 879 in the end...it should arrive today so will post back when I've used it a bit!
  6. Ah Wimbledon, nice. Near to us - my school is in Richmond
  7. As far as I can gather, there is no requirement for using LSZH in schools, the cable in ours certainly isnt anyway. But I'm buying some cable to do a few points over the summer, and LSZH is only £5 more per box...so my question is, is it a no brainer or is there anything to watch out for with it? I read somewhere that it was less flexible? Also as none of the existing cable is LSZH then I suppose there is no benefit if there was a fire unless I changed the lot anyway?
  8. I was going to say you're optimistic wanting to pay £800 a month but from a quick look Croydon would be do-able for that. But then its Croydon The price we pay for our 2 bed flat is well over double that, but then it is zone 2 and thankfully shared between 4 people Where is your job? As with everything in London it's all about proximity to public transport (if you're going to use it) If you're not or are happy with a walk to the nearest station, you'll pay less 6 month contract will be difficult but probably not impossible. The cats are probably more difficult To be honest you'd be best off researching exactly where you want to live, checking out properties online, then contacting some letting agents in that area with your details and maybe going down one weekend for viewings
  9. Purely from an aesthetics POV - I like it!
  10. Mine came last week (yes from RS) and I got an email from Parcelforce beforehand with the title 'Your item is being dispatched'
  11. Thanks for the info. The quote I have for the 879 is 'only' £500 more than the 859 so I'm thinking that could be a better option (and possible allow me a bit more flexibility as to what I do with it)
  12. Also, which model? 3 have been talked about in this thread
  13. Also, @Duke how do you find performance? It worries me it only has an Atom CPU. I'm only going to be using it for backups and other long term storage mind. But I'm just wondering whether I should get a quote for an 809 instead which has a Core 2 Duo, it just seems like its quite old now though
  14. Aha, thanks. My quotes arn't too bad then!
  15. Where are you getting prices like that? Or do you mean £1,200 + the cost of the disks? The quotes I have had are over £2k
  16. I tend to copy the whole tape to DVD, not worrying about different programmes, then rip that DVD and edit individual programmes out in iMovie - much easier then as you can see thumbnails. Also then we can store them on the network rather than have DVDs. Still a long, long job though
  17. This is fairly standard now...quite annoying. If my girlfriend doesnt have her purse on her when I'm buying alcohol, we have an agreed system where she slopes off and waits at the exit for me while I pay. Which proves how stupid it is...if you were buying for someone underage, you wouldn't actually go to the checkout with them!
  18. I agree...there should be another option of ID But if I didnt drive I'd probably just relent and get a provisional licence purely for ID, it's just too much hassle not having any, for me anyway
  19. I do get asked for ID now and again, probably once a month. Always a feeling of satisfaction when the barman/till assistant is surprised that I'm 28
  20. Apart from a brief period in my early 20's when I bought a Hyundai Coupe, I've only ever had 'rubbish' cars. Also currently got a 98 fiesta (diesel) and even that is better than the majority I've had as it only had one owner before and is in great condition. Still will be sold asap though as I live in London and no longer want or need a car. Never, ever as long as I live will I buy a brand new car. Can't see the point
  21. Background: we are a small school with 3 VM hosts running Hyper-V and 9/10 virtual servers. Only physical servers apart from those are a DC and a backup server I've got some money to buy a storage appliance of some sort. I could go down the route of having a SAN for VM Storage but to be honest local storage has been doing a fine job until now, with Veeam backing up so able to do a quick(ish) restore in case of disaster. So instead I was thinking it may be a better idea to replace a huge clunky old tower I have acting as the backup server, that currently has a RAID5 array and a few USB drives attached. Would it be feasible to buy a QNAP NAS/SAN and run it as NAS, with Backup Exec on a VM backing up to it? I already duplicate it to a server at another site so not being able to use the USB drives wouldn't be a huge issue. More wondering whether speeds are going to suffer too much backing up to a NAS?
  22. First plug I checked on my desk has the same on the earth pin, and our stuff was all PAT tested not long ago (and didnt fail)
  23. Yeah it will almost certainly flop if it is priced above an iPad, as that is currently considered the premium, best of it's kind device. However good it is, it needs to compete on price.
  24. Sorry if this has been mentioned before and already being dealt with, but I'll mention it anyway. When you start a thread, why does it always say, no matter what you type, 'No similar threads found'? Am I going mad or did this feature use to work a while ago? It's just that it is quite useful to know if you're asking something that has been asked before!
  25. Exactly, it isn't the price that is an issue, more the manageability of it. Considering the lack of serial numbers/activation, I would have no problem buying 50 individual copies, but I'm guessing it wouldnt be as easy as that
×
×
  • Create New...