Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

sidewinder

Members
  • Posts

    3,170
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by sidewinder

  1. Both from a personal (putting off buying a new laptop drive and my nas server) and work viewpoint (thinking of implementing NAS server for offsite backup) - balls. Probably isn't going to be great for the next few months. Then again, compared to what half of Thailand is putting up with at the minute, a shortage of hard disks seems trivial
  2. Would also quite like an invite if anyone has one spare please
  3. We have 3 Hyper-V hosts. I want to manage them all with SCVMM. Do I need to install it on all 3 hosts? Or can I put it on a seperate server and add the hosts to it? I'm slightly confused. Currently got it on one of the hosts, which isn't much use. Also, it seems like really unintuitive software. Is it just me? I'm sure it's great, but it doesn't seem very easy to learn. Bearing in mind I've not used any System Centre products before
  4. This has intrigued me since I started my job - in the IT suite, as well as a Smartboard at the front, there is a 'Softboard' at the back - which is a plasma screen with a metal housing round it, and some circuitry and 2 boxes with laser warning signs at the top when you open it up. It's just used as a display for a laptop, but it looks as if it was originally an interactive board, especially as I found some pens for it (which are actual pens with ink, not pens in the smartboard sense) There is no usb/serial connection as far as I can see (though it could be at the back of the board) so does anyone know how this thing works? To satisfy my curiosity more than anything! No-one seems to know anything, and the IT teacher only started a few months before me, and it has been there a looong time by the looks of it. Pics attached
  5. For me, it comes down to space, just can't justify wasting space on a large PC, would rather use a laptop. That said, I do use a small desktop (Optiplex) as it's a half decent spec, but even that tends to get in the way. Mostly use my MacBook for everything now. Certainly can't be bothered to build PC's anymore, but then I've never been a PC gamer so I can see the attraction if you are (not as attractive as just firing up the PS3 though )
  6. Just paid 0.83 + VAT for some 2m cables, 0.52 for 1m. Would never pay £4 for a 2m cable
  7. Agreed, that looks really good. Think I'll be installing that on all my devices
  8. Thanks, I'll give it a try with our Mac mini SL image from DeployStudio over half term then. As long as I can either create a recovery disk or keep the recovery partition in case it all goes wrong! I always thought that trying to put an image created on an imac onto a macbook would cause problems, and vice versa, but I guess not then?
  9. Ah, looks like there are workarounds for Logic anyway. Probably should have checked before I posted. Still annoyed we're stuck with Lion on this though, it's the same as when Leopard and Snow Leopard first came out, guaranteed issues with binding to the domain. SL is lovely and stable now though
  10. Just realised my method won't work either, this Macbook doesn't have any firewire ports. FFS
  11. Fairly sure that doesn't work - it won't install from discs that arn't from the same family as far as I can remember
  12. This is really annoying, a full class of Mac Mini's come with Snow Leopard, the teacher MacBook came with Lion. I've tried to stick with it, despite it not staying connected to the domain and being unable to bootcamp into XP, but we've now received Logic Express 9 which isn't compatible with Lion, so I've had enough. I know the usual reply is 'no' when downgrading a Mac, but the fact that this model MacBook originally shipped with Snow Leopard should mean the hardware is still compatible, yes? So if I installed Snow Leopard onto a firewire disk on my older Macbook, updated to 10.6.8, then took an image and put that on the newer MacBook, that should work shouldn't it (despite not being officially supported I'm sure) And yes, I realise if this does work I'll need to buy a copy of Snow Leopard for it, but I want to make sure it works before I do that
  13. If you right click the folder and go to properties there something there to change the icon. From the sounds of it, those icons are some of the default windows ones. If they dont appear, browse to C:\Windows\System32\Shell32.dll
  14. Withnail & I Plus loads that have already been listed
  15. We had Classlink (since removed) and the technicians group gave local admin access as far as I can remember. Can't remember there being a way to bulk add to groups in Classlink, but easy enough to do in AD. Not sure it's a great idea mind, I understand having to log out can slow things down but all the profiles on Classlink are mandatory, so it shouldn't take long to log off/on. Weighing up the chance of students with local admin access breaking something/making changes on machines I can't say its worth it. Also, I know you say you're not doing it now, but even in the future, I would really NOT recommend turning them into standalones, especially when a domain is already setup.
  16. Yeah, surely that's better? Wasn't BBC HD more relavent when less programmes were in HD? Now many are, better to just have both channels in HD Edit: Just read that some BBC3 and BBC4 shows are broadcast on there, so it could be a loss
  17. That I'm not sure about yet - most probably floor, because the only space is a desk, and I'd rather put it under than over!
  18. We have a building a few streets away from our main school which currently has a few standalone computers, which staff use to RDP to computers in a cupboard at the main school - not very elegant. We're getting a 10mb link to the main school, so computers can be directly connected to the main network, but I would like a server over there too, to act as file storage for those users (to stop it all being pulled across the 10Mb line), a RODC and DNS/DHCP. I want to avoid a full size rack server, as the comms cab has to go in an office and I don't think they'd be happy with an 800mm deep cab . I'll probably go for a 600mm cab at the most, so was thinking about what could fit. Initial thought was a HP Microserver sitting outside the cab, but would this be up to the job? Also I've found that Broadberry do some short depth 1U servers, although the cheaper ones have Atom CPU's, which I imagine could struggle as much as the Athlon II Neo in the Microserver. Any other companies do shallow depth servers?
  19. I like iPhones but I doubt I'll ever own one because I'm not prepared to get tied into a long contract or pay a lot for one SIM free. My £99 ZTE Blade will do me for a while yet What I did find amusing yesterday was that almost every rumours site had said there probably wasn't going to be an iPhone 5, but the BBC for some reason was sure there was going to be. Quite glad the event was a bit of a damp squib, hopefully it will stop the ridiculous hype around future ones. Good phones yes, but could live without the constant media coverage and hype
  20. Hi Sukh, just pm'd you one of them Will try OWA later. Contarary to what I said in the PM, I have got the same NDR's back after emailing both addresses. So it would appear it doesn't just affect one user
  21. When it came to school and college I left almost everything to the last minute, I just work better under pressure. I still do it now to an extent, although when its something someone is waiting for I obviously try to do it as soon as I can!
  22. For 2010 I bought Mastering Exchange Server 2010, and its excellent, as most of the 'mastering' books are, so its safe to say 2007 should be pretty good too
  23. Up until the summer here we had Exchange 2003. I rebuilt the network over summer and now have Exchange 2010. It is setup to forward mail to a smarthost (Inty MailDefender). Had no real problems until now. One teacher has reported that he has had quite a few undeliverables when he has emailed external addresses. I haven't come across this problem myself, and he is the only one to complain. These are the 2 he has forwarded to me so far: They are: 550 No [email protected]\, try [email protected]"> #SMTP# (I thought this would be because the address doesn't exist - but it works ok from his home email) 550 5.1.1 : Recipient address rejected: User unknown in relay recipient table> #SMTP# One thing I have noticed is that in both the following is in the text: "Received: from ourmailserver.ourdomain.local (unknown [Our external IP address is here])" Could that be part of the problem? Our mail server is presenting itself with its internal DNS name but our external IP address, which obviously don't resolve. We don't really have an external DNS name (such as mail.ourschool.org) that resolves to the external address, I assume because its always been sent through Maildefender. I did try to duplicate every setting from our old server, but as that was 2003 and this is 2010, a lot has changed so I could have missed something?
  24. I was going to get these: http://www.asamarx.com/images/productimages/duracell_AA.jpg Will they not work then?
×
×
  • Create New...