Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

sidewinder

Members
  • Posts

    3,170
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by sidewinder

  1. But if Classlink is no longer installed, and all roles are transferred to new servers, would I not be left with effectively a vanilla setup? I was just wondering whether it installed any non standard schema updates or anything like that. I can see the advantage in starting again though...its better than planning to migrate and then finding out halfway you need to start from scratch.
  2. lol oh dear Their method appears to be go round each computer, log on and install software manually. Nice way to while away a paid engineer day. Or occasionally update a ghost image.
  3. Wimbledon is on the protected sporting events list thankfully, so even if the BBC did abandon it, it would have to be shown FTA *somewhere* Would be a shame if they did though As for F1, I'm not a huge fan, but I don't hate it. Would prefer it to be on the BBC to ITV
  4. This is a problem we have here, only with one board, but I keep on getting called to this room and I'm getting fed up of it. It's a brand new 660 board and generally works fine, but when the teacher is writing, at random intervals windows will open - usually it seems to be the help window, then IE, then IE help - almost like F1 is being repeatedly pressed. The teacher has also said new ink layers open sometimes as well but I havent seen this. In fact I havent seen the problem happen myself, when I try and use the board it is fine, but I have been called to see it so many times now I'm now more inclined to think it is an actual problem rather than her doing something wrong. Anyone got any clue what it could be? Is it likely to be a software setting? Or user error? I cant see anything in Smart tools about keyboard shortcuts, I have turned off gestures now but I cant see that would have anything to do with it? Any help appreciated
  5. There is another thread about this but it refers to Classlink 2000 and is from 2009. I would like to remove Classlink 8 from my school over the summer. The software itself is a lot less restrictive than I thought it would be - as far as I can see it doesnt seem to change AD at all, it just gives a web based management system, a server application to accomplish various things, and client software on all machines. So if I was to get new servers, make them DC's, transfer all the roles over etc, then wipe the old ones (and reimage all clients of course) am I likely to run into any problems? Has anyone got experience of removing it and can share any tips, or is it as "simple" as I think it will be? I did initially think about starting from scratch with a new domain but with Exchange etc it just seems like it could be a lot of extra work for potentially no gain.
  6. I think it's DNS internally - because I've just found it works from our other site across the road (DNS servers at each site, one internet connection, link between each site) Digging around the setup is extremely strange...I'll try and write it down later if I can do it in a non confusing way. But basically it seems like the proxy appliances are also acting as DNS servers...or are forwarding requests to elsewhere, and querying both, they each come back with a different IP address (correct for the site I can access it from, incorrect from the one I cant...unsurprisingly)# And also, on the DNS server at the non-working site, the servers DNS settings are pointing to Google DNS for the primary and itself for the secondary...I thought it was only supposed to point to itself! (although I have tried swapping the order around and it still doesnt work) Unfortunately since they're currently being managed by the support company, I dont have admin passwords to get into the web interfaces of these things yet, to see exactly what they're doing
  7. My school have got a new website which has been live for a couple of weeks. Same domain name, and all works fine - except from inside school. As far as I know it is with the same hosting company, and the URL resolves to the same IP address both internally and externally, and I have also tried using an alternative DNS server, but to no avail. A traceroute shows that both from outside and inside, the same server is reached I then thought it might be the proxy appliance caching the old version, but if I try to enter a direct link that didnt previously exist (and thus wouldnt be in the cache) eg http://www.schoolname.org/about.htm it cannot find it. Also, from externally I can do a directory listing, eg schoolname.org/images/ whereas internally access is denied, so it is as if it is going to a totally different server We already have our support company looking at it, which they have been for a few weeks, but I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas as to what could be causing it, as it has me stumped!
  8. Hasn't the question been answered by TechMonkey?
  9. Think it should cover anything from a single server or switch failing, right up to a procedure for completely restoring from backup in the event of total destruction of the servers
  10. Well after just over 6 years at my school doing 2 different jobs, it's my last day today. Feels a bit weird and I will miss some people but after such a length of time it definately feels right to move on...especially as my new job is going to be so exciting! The 2 and a half week holiday in Vietnam in between will be nice too It's still in education so don't worry, I'll still be on Edugeek
  11. A lot of people buy Macs because of the status (eg my Dad) I groaned when he went out and bought one. However, the cries for help from him have dropped 90% from when he had his PC (a decent quad core Dell system) I'm not saying they are more reliable, but for a lot of users they are the complete package - they come with everything they need, and are usually harder to break from fiddling. Doesn't justify the prices mind, which are rather on the high side. Not so much the workstation end, but the budget end. £600 for the cheapest desktop and £800ish for the cheapest laptop is far too much. However I use a 2006 iMac and a 2008 MacBook, both run all the latest software still (albeit the iMac needed a RAM upgrade) and should be fine for a few years to come yet. I'd struggle to get 7 years out of a PC if I wanted to stay up to date. I personally prefer to use them at home because they are relatively hassle free. Certainly not hassle free in a school environment though, they need the same amount of support as the PC's do. It's still just a personal choice, some people prefer PC's, some people prefer Mac's, some people don't know what they prefer and just buy into Apple because of the hype...but I would imagine most are happy with their purchase even if they could be using a far cheaper PC to send their emails and download photos of their kids. That's why Apple can continue to charge what they do, as long as the advertising and hype continues to do its job.
  12. I hate driving, it's boring and I don't enjoy having to maintain a car, costs a lot and more importantly is a lot of hassle. A car free life is now a possibility for me as I'll be moving to London later in the year, but in reality I will probably end up keeping mine for the odd occasion I cant travel by train. I'd like to be rid of it though
  13. Interesting thing about that article - "27% of all cameras sold are now digital" already sounds like an archaic statement, and that was less than 9 years ago! Must be 99% now, that is assuming there are still new film cameras being sold at all?! But as for the fears expressed there, not an issue really. JPEG is now ubiquitus, and you can still read every memory card type very easily. Also of course that article pre-dates the biggest online photo album in history - Facebook. Now its difficult to actually lose any pictures, even if you wanted to! (albeit quite low resolution versions of them)
  14. We get teachers moaning about restrictions on their staff laptops and how they want to be able to do this and that with it, I always just think, how much are you on? Why not just go and buy a laptop and then you could do anything you wanted with it! Or ones that will beg for a really old, crappy one we would have otherwise given to be recycled when they could buy one 5 times better for a few hundred quid
  15. Most monitors display "Out of Range" or something similar though, makes it quite easy!
  16. Also he'll probably sell the 920 rather than yours, and you wont be able to prove he's selling that because he's going to use the better one. Feel for you, annoying that people arnt more honest
  17. Thanks guys
  18. 2Tb?!? wow I've got a large collection but still only pushing 50GB! Edit: Oh you meant that you had removed from machines/network. I thought you were talking about your personal collection!
  19. That is so typical. I had plans for Saturday morning as well. Couldnt just wait till the afternoon could it?
  20. This week: Very quiet Next week: Manic
  21. I got it Been waiting till it was all confirmed in writing etc before I posted anything. I was pleasantly surprised - I didn't think I had done badly in interview but wasn't too confident with my presentation, but I guess it must have been ok!
  22. Text in replies seems to be nearer the top, thats the difference I can see
  23. Depends what drive is inside it, but yeah very good price
  24. Fitting into the 'not very well known' category - 15 Storeys High 15 Storeys High - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Stars Shaun Lock and was broadcast on BBC 3 before it was BBC 3, very very dry humour but so funny. It's on DVD and lovefilm etc have it for rent
  25. Yeah you need to copy the music from the old to new as mentioned above. Ipods can only sync one way (without extra software) so you always need to move the music to the computer then set it up to sync with the new one
×
×
  • Create New...