Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

sidewinder

Members
  • Posts

    3,170
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by sidewinder

  1. Have to say we're having far less problems now. I did have to re-bind a few iMacs the other day running 10.6.2 but I've been updating all our macbooks to 10.6.4 and so far (touch wood) I havent had a single case of it not responding. Its good that there are now a few things to try though if the problem does reoccur - there was hardly anything when I first made this thread!
  2. The MST doesnt seem to work, but I think thats more because for some reason the MSI refuses to even attempt to install. I've applied and enforced the GPO, a RSOP shows the GPO is applied but the MSI isnt listed in software installation in the RSOP window, and doesnt log anything (eg it doesnt attempt to even install) Dont understand it...I'm used to troubleshooting failed MSI deployments, but usually when they leave an error! Am I missing something obvious?
  3. Thanks, I'll give it a go runcmd - yeah in 99% of cases you now dont need it, but when theres an old bit of software that checks for quicktime before it will run...
  4. Wish I'd done that...bit late now
  5. I hate it, I really dont want to deploy it, but there is an archaic piece of languages software that requires it to run. Quicktime always used to be one of the simplest things to deploy on XP - start the setup, get the MSI from the temp folder, make a few modifications to stop updates etc and it was done. Again I have done all that but deploying it to Windows 7 machines, it briefly flashes up 'installing managed software Quicktime' for a second and thats it. Nothing is installed, and nothing is logged in the event log (helpful!) Even the old, known working version (7.62) we used with XP does the same thing. Just wondered if anyone had got it working and had any tips?
  6. Thanks Steve, that script seems to work perfectly!
  7. How much data do you have? We're close to 2Tb if we wanted to remote backup the lot, hence the price. Though I guess realistically you wouldnt need everything offsite, just essentials, so it might not be that much.
  8. ^ That might be something we'll look at, hosting at another school Have had one trial of offsite backup from a company, and while I'm sure its great, at an estimated £8,000 a year, a server/NAS box at another site would be far more cost effective, and quicker, since the data wouldnt leave the WAN
  9. Overreactions like this are why I'm glad we dont have the death penalty! Not defending the woman but death? seriously?
  10. OK, I'll have a look (and test them if I find them) over the weekend
  11. I might have 5 and 6.22, at least I used to. You say its for an arts project - do you need the disks to actually work? That I can't guarantee
  12. Its in the same folder - I've got both the reg file and the script in the same GPO folder. Even when both are on my C drive it doesnt work. Not sure reg add will work - it looks like you have to specify the whole key contents with the command, but what I'm trying to add has a few subkeys so I would assume needs to stay as a reg file. The reason I'm trying to do it is we're getting a problem where students are often given the message "The user profile failed the logon: user profile cannot be loaded" If I manually delete all the previous network logons in HKLM/Software/Microsoft/Windows NT/CurrentVersion/Profilelist students can log on again, but as a manual process it takes forever as we're experiencing the problem all over the school. So I was hoping to find a way to replace that key with the default values automatically.
  13. Always used to use the following as a startup script on XP: Dim wsh Set wsh = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell") wsh.Run "%SystemRoot%\regedit.exe /S regkeytoimport.reg", , True But now it does nothing. I cant even run it when logged on as myself, I get an error saying that the system cannot find the file specified on line 3. But it does start regedit first, so its something do with the actual import I guess? I've tried with different scripts, and the .reg file is in the same folder. What am I doing wrong or does 7 just not support this method? Ive tried using the 'new' bit of group policy to do this, but although it lets you import/replace keys, you have to type the value in, and what we are trying to import has quite a few subkeys
  14. Still happens here in areas with older electrics - someone puts a kettle on and the entire block goes down
  15. Btw this thread has actually reminded to charge my phone! Now you're responsible for 2 phones electricity use tech_guy
  16. But surely manually synching on someone elses iTunes wouldnt ruin the auto sync from your own machine would it? Not something I've ever tried though really, if I want music from elsewhere I'll just copy the folders and import into my own library. I wish I'd set mine to autosync when I first set it up, at the minute I am copying things manually and its annoying. And I know if I change to autosync it will have to copy it all again and take aggggggges
  17. ^ You can only sync a library with one, but as long as you're careful about not clicking pair with this computer or whatever when you plug it into a different machine, you still should be able to manually add music onto it. Also why do you have to duplicate your MP3 collection? I have iTunes pointed at my music folders, have iTunes set NOT to manage it, and as far as I know (I'm assuming I'd notice as I have 40GB of music) no duplication takes place? I used to detest iTunes as well, but it became harder and harder not to use it so I eventually gave in...I've grown to like it a bit now, though its not perfect, and I hate it on PC's
  18. My old secondary school has long been bulldozed but a friend teaches at my old primary/infant schools and I occasionally pop in to help with their IT...its weird going back there because although some things have changed, the layout hasnt at all and all my old classrooms are just how I remember them from when I was 6!
  19. lol..that is one thing I dont feel the slightest bit guilty about Aside from the fact I do use it for work, I'd charge it anyway, I doubt any teachers feel guilty about it! Will also charge my ipod, laptop, camera, whatever I need
  20. Never heard of them? I dont watch much TV and even I've seen their adverts dozens of times! Not use them though but I would imagine they're fine
  21. It was very good. It did worry me at the start it wasnt going to be as good as before but it was. Not as funny as some in the first 2 series but good all the same They've already started (or maybe finished?) filming it!
  22. 2 miles - 5 minute drive, 20 minute cycle. Perfect really I think anything more than about 20-30 miles and I'd think about moving a bit nearer - a long drive every day would do my head in. Could handle a longer train journey because at least you can chill out and read a book or something to pass the time
  23. Thanks teky, it didnt sort it completely but I have now got it functioning. Still weird that I couldnt go back to 'first run' sort of settings but it doesnt hugely matter Dos_box - Only PST files stored in there. For me at least leco - I deleted both of those, thats whats weird, because nothing seemed to change
  24. My PST is a bit screwed for various reasons so I just want to start from scratch and setup my email again on Outlook. If I move the PST, Outlook as predicted, complains that it cant find it and asks me to point to it. But how do I clear everything completely? So it will run the wizard as if I've never used it before? It used to be simple with XP and 2003/7 I've deleted the outlook folder from both roaming and local appdata folders on my profile, and still it keeps the settings! I cant find any more references to Outlook in my profile at all, where are they? This list doesnt seem to show the file I'm after (whatever its called) Outlook 2010 Backup and File Locations Edit: we dont use exchange, its just a simple POP3 connection and local PST's
  25. As is often the case with me, the solution was a lot simpler than I thought it would be. And pretty much my own fault As said, we used to use USBDLM. Which forced all memory sticks to take a letter starting from H. Now we arnt using it (think I might reconsider that!) then the GPO restricting students from using drives A-D was taking effect - on all desktops (which dont have CD drives) the memory sticks were trying to take drive D! So changing that restriction to drives A-C has solved it totally. Nothing to do with drivers. Whoops Thanks for all the help though everyone
×
×
  • Create New...