sidewinder
Members-
Posts
3,170 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by sidewinder
-
Ive probably had a few posts edited for bad language but apart from that I cant remember ever really being moderated on here. I do see it as primarily a forum for work related stuff though, and while I will get involved in other threads I try to avoid most political ones (partly because they often just descend into childish insults - from both sides) and anything else potentially controversial mainly because while I dont publicise where I work, it isn't impossible to find out considering I have met a few people from Edugeek, and I dont want to get into any carp that could compromise my job, however unlikely The moderation could perhaps be a bit better in regards to telling people why things have been changed/deleted, that would probably stop some of the silliness that occurs at times. But its far from the only forum that does this, on most I go on mods dont always tend to tell people why actions have been taken
-
I went to Southeast Asia for 2 months last summer, and despite not being the most confident person (and being terrified about not meeting people) I made loads of friends and had the absolute time of my life This year I'm going to Morocco on my own (only 10 days as I think another sabbatical would be pushing it) and again I'm terrified but I know I will meet people and more than likely it will be a bloody amazing holiday Obviously if you have a like minded friend/partner then yeah it is usually (but not always) better/easier to go with them, but there are hundreds of thousands of people travelling solo all the time. The idea still provokes raised eyebrows from some people but its far from unusual
-
PXE booting not working on one model of PC - any ideas?
sidewinder replied to sidewinder's topic in Wireless Networks
Hi foana My error was before I had loaded the image, it appeared immediately after the client had got an IP address. It seemed that instead of loading the boot image from the WDS server, it was looking on our DHCP server and of course it couldnt find a boot image there. I only noticed after about 10 boots and I saw the IP address at the top of the screen displaying the error was not of the WDS server that I worked it out. So I think it might be slightly different to your issue? Mine was more with my server configuration rather then the specific model of PC - in face I've now imaged 50+ Vostro 320's successfully -
Anyone? Also, although it was working across some switches, trying to image some machines in another area (goes through the core and then one Procurve 2610, both with multicasting switched on) and multicasting wont even work in the way I described above - transfer rate never gets above 128Kbps Just dont understand it
-
After 2 weeks of thinking multicasting wasnt working with MDT, today I've thought that perhaps it actually is. What made me think it isnt working is that on the clients you get 'Attempting multicast transfer' with the bar stuck at a tiny percentage, until they seemingly give up and start the 'expanding windows files' bit But looking at the multicast bit in WDS, both clients are listed and transfer appears to be taking place. I've attached a screenshot. So in fact, does MDT/WDS transfer the whole image first, then files are expanded at the client end? Eg is my setup in fact working? The thing that made me think it wasnt working is that it didnt seem to be going very quickly but I suppose I wouldnt see much benefit with 2 computers anyway
-
I've had a request from one of the 6th form ICT students, via his ICT teacher, to have SQL Server Express installed on all the ICT machines, as they apparantly need it. My question is, do they? We currently have Visual Studio 2008 (to be upgraded to 2010 over summer) and I'm sure that it included some sort of basic SQL server for use in development? (to be fair we may not have installed it) Would that be enough? Just not really sure I want 60+ SQL servers on our network. If the above is incorrect, would a single server that students could put their databases on be better?
-
DVD Decrypter does it as far as I can remember. It's neater to rip with something like handbrake, but if theres a lack of time and space isnt too much of an issue, I can see why you want to go the ISO method
-
Looking at the website it does appear to be geared towards businesses/professionals (despite the designs of the 'pokens') rather than kids. If it was aimed at kids I could understand the concern but as it is it is just one of a million things that arnt really suitable in a school. They probably wont catch on anyway
-
In a school there are obvious pitfalls But in other environments, I quite like the idea. Of course they are completely pointless until they reach a point where more then 0.1% of people have them. You - "Lets touch pokens" Everyone else - "WTF are you about? Sounds disgusting"
-
Its working fine here, returning staggeringly unhelpful search results as usual
-
Given the trouble I used to have with Active Desktop on XP, I wasnt about to put any faith in the Windows 7/2008R2 version working. So glad of BgInfo as its one of the few things we havent had to worry about with 7 (apart from creating a pretty new Windows 7 school background )
-
Not been, but from hearing other peoples experiances you might be better off going somewhere else in the Czech Republic. Apparantly since Prague has become popular with stag do's, prices have skyrocketed compared with elsewhere. Plus maybe it would be cooler to go somewhere a bit more unusual?
-
Exactly. Its one of the sites I read the most, so any difference is a shock, but overall I dont mind it. Its good to keep things fresh (with the exception of facebook, who seem to take delight in always moving features around seemingly to confuse us)
-
I think what Antonio is saying is correct - you dont need a CAL to authenticate/bind to AD. You do need a CAL if you connect to any file shares on Windows Server, but you can easily have the home shares on an OS X server, which is what we do. I mean what about a open source NAS distro that can authenticate against AD for ACL's. Would you buy a CAL for that? I wouldnt...whether thats wrong I dont know, but I dont see why you would have to
-
My tip: a lot of coffee
-
Looks good, thanks I certainly dont know how to repair mine! I know the theory of it but whenever I do it in practice nothing ever goes back together right!
-
PXE booting not working on one model of PC - any ideas?
sidewinder replied to sidewinder's topic in Wireless Networks
OK now they're both working...must have taken a bit of time to kick in The boot manager error on closer inspection, was due to it going to the wrong server - the DHCP server, probably because of option 60 So no option 60 now and a couple of WDS restarts and it seems ok -
PXE booting not working on one model of PC - any ideas?
sidewinder replied to sidewinder's topic in Wireless Networks
Ok, removed that and sure enough, it does get an IP address straight away. But then receive a Windows Boot Manager screen saying Windows failed to start. And even weirder, without option 60 it now doesnt work on the Optiplex's - they get a PXE-E51 error - No DHCP or ProxyDHCP offers were received. These have Intel NIC's -
I'm not a huge fan of American food either, I know you can get good stuff (never had problems eating well in New York!) but in general the food culture seems to rely far more on fast food than here, and the food is usually bigger and greasier. And everyone seems obsessed with cheese!
-
Maybe I will just go with Morocco...it does fulfull all the other criteria - vastly different from Europe, not too long or too expensive a flight, and fairly reasonable cost of living. I can handle the heat
-
^ That actually sounds amazing...I'd love to visit India. Flights might be a bit more reasonable too!
-
Will look into Bulgaria. Cheap beer is always a consideration Went to Holland a few weeks ago, Prague or the Czech Republic in general might be a go-er Dan - Would actually love to go to the Perhentians, or anywhere in SE Asia but cheapest flights at this short notice are well over £500 If I could find some for less then I'd be booking it right now!
-
PXE booting not working on one model of PC - any ideas?
sidewinder replied to sidewinder's topic in Wireless Networks
No option in BIOS for that. I've tried it both connected to a 10/100 and a gigabit switch and no difference. I've got a bit further - I missed it all the times before, but it flashes up a message before it moves to the next boot device: "proxydhcp did not respond on port 4011" So I looked in DHCP and the machine is actually getting assigned an IP address, just something stops it after that. The only DHCP option we have configured for PXE is option 60, and this works fine for everything else. The WDS and DHCP servers are on seperate machines if that makes any difference -
I've got quite a bit of holiday left this year so I almost feel like a teacher with all this time off! Anyway I'm desperate to go somewhere and not waste it in the UK. Any suggestions where I could go? 90% certain I'll be going on my own, so somewhere busy where you can meet people is a must. And it cant be colder than England I was thinking about Morocco, I'd love to go there but apparantly in the summer the heat is almost unbearable? Ditto Seville and southern Spain. I'd love to go to Asia again but doesnt seem worth it for a few weeks, considering the cost of the flights. Also was thinking Germany since I've never been there? Berlin perhaps, I assume there is plenty to see? Just wondered if I'm overlooking anything cheap and amazing really
-
We' ve just purchased 50 Dell Vostro 320's (all in one design) and I am trying to test Windows 7 on them. We usually have Optiplex's which boot without fail into Deployment services/Lite Touch etc. But these new ones have a different BIOS and different NIC (Realtek opposed to Intel) and just sits there on boot trying to get an IP address and never does. I've enabled everything I can see in BIOS (the BIOS on these are terrible compared to Dell's usual offerings) but no joy. No new BIOS updates so what can I try? Why would it not get an IP address when everything else I boot (including laptops with Realtek NIC's) work fine? I'll contact Dell if need be but I just cant see what they could do :-/
