Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

sidewinder

Members
  • Posts

    3,170
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by sidewinder

  1. Im no great fan of BT but as a company what is their incentive to upgrade infrastructure when its going to lose them money? Hence why they concentrate on big towns/cities. The government cant force them to do it, hence the idea for this tax I assume. I'm undecided on whether the tax is the best way but realistically the only way I can see our infrastructure getting up to scratch is with public money. Surely the best way would be for a new state owned company to control any new infrastructure, and then space on it be leased to BT or whoever else wants to provide BB, which would provide income to pay off the cost, and hopefully encourage more competition, rather than just donating the fibre to BT or something. But Im probably thinking far too simplistically. Either way, BB IS important in this day and age, like it or not, and if its available to someone it can make life a lot easier, so the idea of ensuring everyone has access to a certain minimum speed is something I agree with
  2. Ah well thats sort of good news then, at least we're not doing anything wrong! Running 10.5 here
  3. Yeah I know that, but is that likely to be what has happened? Since they are all detected, and just due to the extremely low chance of 2 failing together
  4. Strange problem...dont know if this is something general or something wrong in our setup. All our macs are bound to AD. Log on fine, but when a password expires, or we set it to change on next logon in AD, it wont let a user change it when they log onto a Mac. It brings up all the right boxes, says you need to change your password, but whatever you write and confirm, the box just shakes. Log onto a Windows box and its fine. I will look into it more, more than likely some error is being logged on the client, but just wondered if anyone else has come across this?
  5. Got a Dell Poweredge SC 1420, about 4 years old. 3x 1Tb SATA discs in RAID5 with CERC SATA 1.5/6ch card Started a high pitched beep yesterday, I powered the server down, rebooted and all was OK (at that point I should have checked things, didnt even click that it could be the RAID card making the noise) then was using today when server froze and the beeping started again. Now every time it boots up it sticks on the RAID initialization screen, saying array failed. But it detects all 3 drives. If I go into RAID management, 2 of the 3 drives appear slightly greyed out in the array. So they appear to not have failed, just they wont come online. Ive tried the obvious things like checking connections, which hasnt made any difference. There is a restore option but from reading around there is no guarantee the data will be intact after that so Id rather leave as a last resort. Just wondered if there is a way to force the disks online, even if its just long enough for me to copy data off? Or any other ideas? Unfortunately it isnt backed up (due to lack of space) though neither is it vital (ghost images, recreating will be a pain but not impossible)
  6. Typically, all links posted are blocked No surprise. Thanks though Good idea! The music department all run on macs so iTunes is no problem. The obvious question I suppose is what about the legality (not from ripping the cd's, but from sharing it) or are there exceptions if they are being used for education?
  7. I learnt 8/9 years ago (makes me feel old saying that) and I was taught to keep it in gear unless at a red light. However I dont do that now, unless Im literally going to be moving within a second, the car goes into neutral, no point wearing the clutch out if you dont have to!
  8. Something like last.fm or spotify (eg legal and streamable)? I can see why the above are blocked but the music department are understandably frustrated that there is nowhere for students to go to listen to music for inspiration. Classical music is covered with subscriptions to sites, but for popular music there doesnt seem to be much outside Amazons measly samples. Anyone know of somewhere thats possibly less well known?
  9. You will lose money with paypal in the charges, though it probably wont be a huge amount. Alternatively you could ask people mark payments as 'gifts' as there is no charge then, however Paypal might get suspicuous about you receiving hundreds of 'gifts'
  10. Until you mentioned it to them then I doubt they even realised it was a problem. I'd never even consider it, if I park in a residential area all I think about is not blocking anyones driveway. Cant see what you could do apart from keep politely asking them, as its not as if you're blocked - reversing into the road isnt ideal but its not the end of the world
  11. I've had the amazingly fun job of removing a huge, extremely heavy, tower UPS lying on its side at the bottom of our server cabinet. Couldnt get the battery out because the flap couldnt open enough because of the 'lip' at the bottom of the cab, for the same reason i couldnt just slide the thing out. So after taking most of the panels off, I just about managed to get enough leverage (and didnt pull a muscle) to lift it onto the lip, thus could get the battery out and thus could lift the rest out. This took like an hour. Was meant to be a 5 minute job
  12. Did they not have it in HD last year? How can they go backwards with technology??
  13. Never had one but recognise it. The companies who bring these things back must be laughing all the way to the bank. Virtually no development cost and time needed, just get something old manufactured and everyone will buy it because its 'retro'
  14. works ok here. cheers
  15. My boss is the network manager, my job title is network administrator. Work that one out
  16. Quite surprised how much there is already on my crappy little town. Could turn out to be quite useful. However theres already a potential for misuse - someone has 'spammed' my area with a request for a parking space near the Emirates - 60 odd miles away
  17. The only time I disliked living away was on the odd Saturday night when no-one wanted to go out, it did get a bit lonely (i lived with a friend but his girlfriend was always round then), so much so that on occasion i'd actually go round my parents for the evening! How sad is that It is hard, especially knowing you have to do all the cleaning, cooking, ironing, it can feel a bit daunting but after a few weeks when you get into a routine it'll be much easier and there'll be more time to have fun Favourite freedom of mine is being able to cook whatever I want. At home I get moaned at for hogging the kitchen if I take too long, but away I could spend all night making a curry if I wanted to
  18. If you havent had a massive party yet, DO IT. You'll feel much better then Id give anything to move out of my parents now, once you've left and come back its doubly annoying living there
  19. Surely the correct answer is to jump out of the moving car like an action film and let the car explode into a fireball going over a cliff/hitting a mountain?
  20. Usually just sort out annoying jobs that are hard to do during term time, and server moves/replacement if any are required. In easter and summer more major projects get done. This half term apart from lots of little jobs, just need to replace a UPS and start setting up a server if it arrives in time, which it probably wont
  21. I thought everyone would think I was cool in all honesty i only have like 100 odd
  22. lol to be fair I was thinking the same after making the effort to type my post (though I think the rest of the family need them done too) But as said the machines arnt perfect, and even if the photo is acceptable, it doesnt guarantee it will be in any way flattering in those 3/4 attempts (after 10 years of a dreadful photo of a 16 year old me with braces, bad skin and the worst haircut in history, its important to me ) Might go with the suggestion of taking it myself and getting it printed at Boots. I assume those machines are set up for 6x4 prints? So making an image that size with say 3 pictures on and white space to make up the image size is an ok way to do it?
  23. Got over 900 friends now and I've joined 57 groups already this week
  24. Passport is up for renewel, and while Im not tight, paying £4+ for some photos doesnt make much sense when Ive got a decent camera and printer. But the documentation and several websites say that the passport photo must be 'professionally printed' Does this mean nothing printed on an inkjet, however high quality, will be rejected? Hoping for kind of 'yes ive done it and it was fine' or 'no definately not' answers rather than 'probably be ok' - need it to be right to avoid it getting rejected, happy to pay the money for photos if I have to
  25. did you order one?
×
×
  • Create New...