Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

sidewinder

Members
  • Posts

    3,170
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by sidewinder

  1. 1. Nothing really. I wouldnt mind a PS3 but Im not asking anyone for one. 2. Has to be the Ghostbusters fire station, complete with the car and all the figures. And the slime which was destined to stain the carpet from the second it was opened. 3. Probably a childs post office kit from an auntie when I was about 13
  2. Agreed. I see some advantages in the 4/5 year replacement cycle but a lot of equipment could be upgraded or just do the job for longer. We donate truckloads of PC's and laptops to local schools. Only non working equipment gets recycled
  3. You'd just need a scart adapter to plug them into
  4. Some P4 3Ghz Stone machines in some integrated desks from about 2006...anything older was just too unreliable (bad equipment from previous supplier). 99% of pcs/laptops are less than 4 years old Oldest server is a circa 2004 Dual Xeon 2.4Ghz, soon due to be retired because its massive (5U)
  5. I havent, I was very close but I bought a WDTV in the end. But I have heard a lot of very good reviews about them. If you dont need HD (well .MKV support anyway) its probably the way to go
  6. Fair enough, cheers. Strange it came up as a volume the first time.
  7. They're both doing it now (I rebooted) Maybe it is ok, its just that URL doesnt convince me it'll work as much as volume does. Originally the same share from ks-macsrv came up as volume, now its doing this
  8. Actually, not quite done. Shares from one server add fine, they are listed as volumes. Shares from another, even though it is mounted the same way and via AFP, show as a URL. This is now running WGM from my own mac rather than a server. Why is this?
  9. Ah, I think thats my problem, I'm running WGM on the server with the shares on it, and obviously a server cant mount itself. I'll run off another machine. Edit: yeah that was a case. what an idiot. cheers jamesmay/dmccoy
  10. Even with an xserve, if you want them to log in with AD credentials, each machine still needs to be bound to AD as well as OD (though someone correct me if im wrong) I assumed the same as you when I first set it all up. So it probably wouldnt solve your problems. What version of OSX are the 14 running?
  11. sidewinder

    10.6.2 Update

    A colleague tried it yesterday and says its better, but they still dont stay bound like 10.5 does
  12. As our network expands, teachers want more stuff 'there' for them - currently we have a shared folder mounted as the group folder through OD but cant figure out how to add anymore? Is there any way to add more shares to the login items managed preference? Or if it can be accompished via a script, thats fine as well. Groups are managed by OD, but users are authenticated against AD
  13. I know what you're saying but honestly, what would they do with the info? They'd be happy enough with an extra sale. They arnt the police and I doubt the offender would be the top of FAST's priorities either.
  14. LOL...bit of humour always helps Best way to deal with it I reckon, offering the discount as well is good.
  15. Well I've imaged almost the entire room with 10.5.8 and its all working fine - even got a class working in there already. We'll keep an eye on 10.6, maybe keep testing it (if we ever get time) but for now this seems to work for us. Thanks for your help though everyone.
  16. She does need to lighten up a bit, it was a joke, he wasnt really being nasty about it. Most people in the public eye get the p1ss taken out of their appearance or actions at some point
  17. We do, but they're ridiculously cheesy motivational messages or quotes by people the students will never have heard of, chosen by a member of SMT. I like the their/they're/there one, would like to put that out for pupils AND staff! Maybe a bought and brought one too
  18. Apologies, I assumed that it was a modern DNS client feature rather than MS's per se. Yeah it is frustrating that didnt work. The command line way does the exact same thing as the GUI so its odd that it could work, but I was hoping it would. Not ruling out a flaw with our AD, nor saying we're perfect because I doubt we are, but every test I do comes back fine, all DNS tests come back fine, and we never have any major AD problems, its essentially set up to MS's best practices. And we're vanilla, no CC3/4. For now we're going to try going back to 10.5 because as much as I wanted to fix this, we're not getting anywhere fast and people are understandably getting a bit peeved that their new IT suite cant be used... Hi, yeah I think that may work, but again only till it is rebooted Bound to AD and OD. No problems at all with OD, that stays bound through thick and thin. Have been adding using the server name yeah. And I've tried it with just AD binding to cover the small possibility that the OD bind was causing problems, but it was the same. Thats interesting, maybe we're just not waiting long enough! lol. On occasion waiting 30 seconds before logging in produces a better result but not often. Suppose if we encounter the same problems with 10.5 on these macs (hope not!) it could be somewhat down to hardware..
  19. Well, I've tried editing the hosts fille - still doesnt work And I've tried binding with terminal - does the same thing Oh and the macs still dont update the PTR records. Every windows client on site does, not a single mac does. On DHCP I've set to update for clients who dont suipport synamic updates but even this doesnt make a difference
  20. Antonio - Yeah I dont think it has anything to do with it either, but I have disabled Netbios now, as you're right - it isnt needed, and have also changed the ageing time to 1 day. All one subnet so no problem there. And no havent tried the TTL, since it was so low to start with. Is it the default TTL in the SOA tab I need to set? Stodge - Thanks for that. How do you bind via terminal?
  21. Quick back story - we've been running an AD & OD integrated mac network for well over a year now, only about 30 clients for Art, running 10.5. Not perfect, but overall it all works without any major problems and it was painless to set up. Autumn term this year, we get 50 new iMacs running 10.6. Considering we already had experiance of integrating the macs with AD we assumed it would be painless. Very wrong. Essentially, when we bind a machine to AD, all is well. No problems adding, it appears in AD, you can log out and straight away log in as a domain user. However, shut down or restart that machine (or as I found out today, even let it go to sleep) and at least 50% of the time (probably far higher) it cannot connect to AD again - no users can log in, and directory utility reports 'Domain not responding'. From here: remove AD domain and re-add - it works fine change any DNS settings - it works fine Until next reboot. Now we certainly arnt the only people experiancing this. A quick search reveals plenty of people suffering the same fate, with no obvious solution yet. But I assume it isnt happening to EVERYONE. It's certainly network related - whatever it is, 10.6 obviously deals with it differently to 10.5. And its quite possibly DNS related, in that if you add the same servers manually on the client (or even remove them again afterwards) it can connect to AD (until a reboot) One site suggested it could be something to do with the TTL value on the DC's DNS records - well its set at 3600 seconds I think, which isnt abnormally high. Doing any test on network utility brings back nothing abnormal at all, everything resolves and looks ok. The only thing that isnt quite right, and never has been with our macs (yet has never caused a problem on 10.5) is that the PTR records dont seem to update properly - so whatever name you give a client, in ARD it appears as another computer name, and if you start terminal it appears as the wrong name. Is there something I need to set for this to work the same as a windows client would? Of course this may well have nothing to do with it at all. Long post sorry, but has anyone experianced the same problems, and less likely, found a solution? I'm kind of resigned to the fact we're a bit screwed unless we wait for 10.6.2 or downgrade to 10.5, but Im also hopeful someone has found a solution...
  22. Yes, and that was discussed extensively. However it doesnt stop the party itself and its leader being incredibly racist and open to considerable criticism. Yeah, hilarious Off the top of my head, he mentioned stoning as a punishment for adultary and that women are considered second class citizens. They apply to a few oppressive regimes I agree, but dont represent the views of every Muslim by a long stretch. In that vain, you could argue that Christianity is evil because of the way that extremists interpret the Bible. Which is equally rubbish.
  23. I've got no idea how they chose the audience but it wasnt too bad. Hardly surprising that a lot of black and asian people wanted to come and pose questions considering who was on there. Griffin also had a few supporters there plus there were a good few people directing their anger at Labour and Jack Straw rather than Griffin. I agree that questions on things other than race would have made him look just as incompetent and come across less as an hour of Griffin bashing. The show was better than I thought, I was expecting heckling and him not being allowed to speak, but it did stay on predictable ground, however I would wager that was simply because the subjects the audience wanted to discuss involved race and immigration To be fair, he did manage to get a bit of homophobia in at the end as well, so at least he diversified...
  24. No its not, in fact it borders on offensive. I know you dont mean it with any malice but it is a pretty outdated term.
  25. We're getting this too - we have Aruba wireless, no-one can connect without being a member of a specified domain security group and having a certificate installed on the PC....except that is, for ipods and macs, the cert seems to auto install for them when they try and connect, and they can then get internet access. Really annoying
×
×
  • Create New...