sidewinder
Members-
Posts
3,170 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by sidewinder
-
I think the VAT thing might cause you problems - I suggested the same thing a while ago and it sounded like a lot of hassle to keep it above board so didnt bother in the end. Although someone at my place saif you wernt allowed to sell it at all - I'm not sure that's right - the school has paid for the equipment so has every right to sell it on surely as long as the VAT is sorted out? Suppose you could always 'donate' old equipment to yourself, sell it personally on fleabay, and then make a completely unconnected 'donation' back to the school
-
I dont know about anyone else, but we donate our old computers to primary schools. if we gave them the machines without a hard drive because we smashed them, it would be expense for them that they couldnt afford and probably time for us as we would have to fit them all. So wiping is the only solution for us. Quick wipe for student client machines (personal data on there is likely to be close to none, no local profiles), intense wipe for staff and server drives. Yes it takes longer, but if theres nothing wrong with the hard drive, why smash it just to save a bit of time? Only one ive ever smashed was one out of my old laptop - had a copy of all my docs on it, and it kept erroring when trying to wipe, so i took it apart. Tried to get the platter out and it shattered into a million tiny pieces everywhere. Not nice
-
lol...I was talking about the Message Labs phone call I agree that the domain one sounds dodgy as, and its good that people have been warned Schools are probably an easy target for them, as the ones without in house IT may be scared into actually paying
-
It was probably genuine. It would be a fairly rubbish attack - ask on the phone first whether you'd like to accept a virus. They were probably just being courteous and didnt want to send out unsolicited emails They actually called here yesterday but reception filtered the call for us
-
It really does depend where you are in the country - I'm another one who had heard nothing, zero, zilch about it till I looked on Edugeek a year or so ago. When I did look, we're miles off round here. No mention of it by our LEA. And the school I'm in, unless we all suddenly quit, I cant see them ever going over to a managed service. If it was a choice between having that or having no funding, I think ours would go for no funding
-
Agree with Gilera Runners - quality Or you could just get one of the new Vespas
-
Server 2003 box, as a file server Xbox running XBMC (wired) few wireless laptops Wireless printer All connected to a Linksys wireless router About as simple a setup as you can get, went off having anything complicated at home a long time ago
-
For some reason, some events in our hall can no longer accomodate as many people, so they have to be put in another room. SMT want a way to be able to video and stream events so that any networked PC could watch and listen in - so potentially, the people that cant fit in the hall could watch on a projector. The problem I forsee are webcams not being good enough audio and video quality, so what camera could be used? Also the deputy head would like something that could be permanently mounted on the ceiling or underneath the existing projector Anything suitable for this purpose?? Cost not too much of a problem, though obviously spending thousands on it would be a bit silly Also then how to stream it. Software or a dedicated networked camera? If software then what software? My experiments in the past trying to stream with VLC have been less than successful. Need something reliable and something that would stream watchable video
-
cheers...but they're more expensive than buying a bridge...lol
-
Not school related, its for personal use Moving back to my parents place soon for a few months and will obviously be using their internet. When I used to live there I had a cable running through the wall which I connected to another switch, since I had a few devices I needed wired for (xbox and media server). Since I moved out though my dad has filled in the hole (it was quite crude) so I need a wireless bridge this time the off the shelf ones are a bit pricey though, roughly 40/50 quid for something Im not going to be using for long, so is there a cheaper option? Any way to use an old laptop to do it easily? Or flash an old router with alternate firmware? Could buy an old bridge off fleabay but I need something that supports at least WPA and old ones may well not
-
Interesting idea, fair play to whoever gets any results with that. But realistically, the amount of normal women using the thing is going to be far outweighed by the amount of guys wanting to chat them up on it
-
Some blogs to be fair are fascinating - especially if someone of a certain profession is sharing information about their field. And I like music ones, where people just post about different obscure artists - its the best way of sharing knowledge like that But personal blogs are very rarely worth reading. I thought about starting one but who would want to read it?
-
Ha, I like that. I think recreational grief is the number one hobby of a large portion of the population!
-
As much as Ive always found her a vile human being, its still tragic what has happened to her. Its good that her case is raising awareness. And theres nothing wrong with doing the wedding etc on TV to earn money for her kids, its not something I would ever want to watch but evidently some did so fair enough. But after that, and the million or whatever she got from that, that should be it. The papers should not be reporting on every little thing, and she should not be encouraging it (if she is) She should be spending her time with her family and the media should f*ck off and leave her alone And this isnt anything to do with it, but why do people join 'support jade goody' facebook groups and the like? What on earth is that going to achieve?
-
For the sake of a few quid to buy one, dont see the point. Virtually every student has one anyway And look at all the stuff its preloaded with - while it would probably all be blockable, I still wouldnt want people bringing in sticks with their own anti virus on it for example. Its bad enough dealing with bloody U3
-
If the whole, entire site was destroyed (which is so, so unlikely due to its size and sprawl) then no. Well I could rebuild a new domain, but all the backups are onsite in a firesafe which probably wouldnt survive something so big it destroyed the whole school. But then could people? Think the network would be the least of the worries if something that big happened. If the server room was burnt down, I could rebuild the domain with new servers and transfer across data again within a week probably, for basic services anyway. But it would take time to run new fibre to the rest of the school etc as that would all be ruined, as well as our WAN link so there wouldnt be any external access. I havent got any backups of server beyond system states, because I just dont know how to do it everyone says they've got VM images of their critical servers but I just dont have a clue how to do that, with free tools at least
-
facebook (actually use) and myspace (no real reason to have it anymore) bebo is for kids Twitter i just cant be arsed with, no matter how much everyone says its powerful, i dont want people 'following' me, no-one cares what im doing throughout the day, and i dont care what anyone else is doing either. Load of crap
-
So if you've shot your own video and arnt signed to a major label you shouldnt be allowed to upload it? I really dont see what the PRS are playing at. Artists are not losing any money from having their videos on Youtube, its promotion if anything, so why should youtube pay more? Its not like they're providing MP3 downloads, they are average quality flash videos with not great audio. What are the artists losing??? I hope no-one pays them any money. Are they the same idiots you have to pay the radio licence to?
-
A teacher has created a notebook file, its rather large by the looks of it but something has happened to it so it cannot be opened now. It begins to open, and scan through the pages, then crashes and I get: 'SMART Notebook has encountered a problem' (and the usual error report guff) Then if I click to see what the error was theres an EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (cant paste the full text since I have to access Edugeek from a VM) Theres no support on SMART's site about repairing files or anything, is there any way it can be attempted? I can actually see all the pages load on the left hand side, and it gets to about page 30 and crashes
-
Cant say I've really used the software so Im not on either side here, but why on earth, when people find the software so useful, just completely withdraw it and not allow the old versions to be hosted elsewhere?? What a waste
-
Search Engines getting ready to answer questions directly - Good or Bad?
sidewinder replied to SYNACK's topic in General Chat
If its something obscure or disputed, how could you trust what it came back with? Id rather look at the sources myself I think- 19 replies
-
- computer learning
- natural language
-
(and 1 more)
Tagged with:
-
Good on you for caring But it is their responsibility to check the car if they wish before the auction finishes, if they dont then they really cant have much comeback, and for the money I doubt they were expecting much! Personally, I know from experiance never to buy a vehicle from ebay without looking at it first! My current car only cost £400 from there, I went and looked at it first though
-
3 HUGE (6x7) windows in our office so no real complaints Though the downside is they make it a greenhouse
-
pah, didnt even have a disk drive with my BBC, this is the price you pay for using such new fangled technology Bring back the tapes I say
-
I'll have to check, should be 3.0 as its SP2 but perhaps it didnt get upgraded or got corrupted somehow mac_shinobi - cheers that works fine, should have thought of that. Nothing in event viewer really, expected it to be chock full of errors but no. At least I can do some administration this way anyway
