sidewinder
Members-
Posts
3,170 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by sidewinder
-
Right well card seems to be working now so not so urgent, but it is something Id still like to get sorted for obvious reasons!
-
This is quite an annoying problem. On my backup server, no MMC windows will open. I cant run anything, device manager, event viewer, nothing that uses MMC. It was a problem a while back but I kind of forgot about it as everything was working ok. Now however there seems to be something up with the SCSI card, may well just be the driver but I cant check because no MMC windows will open! Any ideas? It's really, really odd Also is there any way to look at the event logs without event viewer? Because I cant even see if anything is being logged when I attempt to open anything OS is Server 2003 Standard SP2
-
I like him, hes funny, and I like the fact hes into technology What I cant forgive him for though is getting everyone into bloody Twitter - because of him and other celebrity twits, sorry twitters, its all I ever hear about now
-
Yeah I read about Minitel a while back in one of my random wikipedia afternoons Quite fascinating and much more advanced than anything we had
-
Where did you bring it from? Not a bad spec for the price, although it might have been worth paying a bit extra to get a Core 2 Duo, the Pentium dual Cores are not exactly low power or cool
-
All our staff laptops work fine offline with cached roaming profiles but I have intermittant problems with student ones using mandatory profiles Some work fine, totally as intended, others just refuse to cache the profile and so load a default on when logging on offline, not applying half the policy settings and giving kids access to virtually everything, plus no customised start menu. Both student and staff laptops use the same computer GPO - basically just turning on offline files which is disabled on school computers. Nothing set higher up to delete cached profiles on logoff or anything, it just seems the mandatory one refuses to cache sometimes Settings on the profile share are to 'All files/folders users open will eb available offline' Students have read and execute access to the folder Tried removing and re-adding the laptop to the domain, no difference. Im sure if I re-imaged it, it would probably be sorted but its a PITA machine in that it was supplied by someone else and is totally different from any other laptop in the school...oh and the kid needs to use it every other lesson so I only get the occasional hour to look at it Any ideas? Just to add, nothing is being stored in C:\Documents & Settings for that user, no folder at all. Anyone else logs on, it seems ok Edit: just tried with another student account and it does the same. So it is the laptop. I think
-
I do get those errors sometimes but after a few attempts it usually starts In my case I think its possibly something to do with it already being started on another RDP session
-
Had monday and tuesday off but didnt enjoy it much because I felt like crap. Well enough to come to work today but now praying it'll be closed tomorrow too, because while Im not so ill I cant work, its very uncomfortable and I cant get anything done with such a heavy head cold
-
Yeah, but how does that help me? lol
-
Yeah roaming Cleared profile on server and computer! Actually...I cleared them off a computer in our office, then he logged on and recreated the profile. The old files would have still been on his computer. But the newer profile should always be used shouldnt it? They arnt supposed to merge
-
This is happening to a member of our team (not me honest!) and its driving him (and me) mad! He was running a course on Monday night, and Word (2003) crashed. Since then Word insists on starting in safe mode every time he opens it. Now these problems are usually down to the normal.dot file - and sure enough when I delete that from his profile, it creates a new one and it opens. Once. After that, from somewhere, it gets back the corrupted version (its got the same date/time stamp as the time Word crashed) If I copy a normal.dot from someone elses profile, it does then keep opening ok. Until he goes back to his PC. Then, from somewhere, it is overwritten AGAIN! Still the same version, with the same timestamp! Ive wiped his profile completely. Still does it. I've searched the entire computer for a local copy with that timestamp it might be storing somewhere. Cant find one. So short of wiping that PC (which I really, really dont want to do since its got mountains of programs he uses which arnt on our image) how do I solve this? What the hell is going on with it?
-
Update and reboot at half term. No need to do it any other time, except very occasionally the SIMS server as requested by the LEA. If it was very urgent to reboot, I'd do the Apps and Print server during the day, would take a lot for me to reboot a DC during the day tho
-
Ive been using XP for years and never knew about that! Thanks The extra info flashes by a bit quick to read but it could be useful if it gets stuck on something. Shame it doesnt say exactly which GPO it is processing, think it does with Vista doesnt it?
-
haha oh ok our office is next to the server room so I patch through a couple of GB ports for my own use
-
You dont have gigabit fibre? At all?
-
I always standardise around one version of Windows/Office. I would find it a nightmare having 3 different versions like you do When I first got here there was a gradual change in place from 2000 to XP, but the move to Vista (or more likely Windows 7) will all be done at one time I think. Same with Office. Currently on 2003, no great demand for 2007 yet
-
Just extremely bored and tired myself
-
Optiplex 745, Core 2 Duo 1.86Ghz, 2GB RAM Now one of the "slowest" in the school but its good enough for me. Lasted well over 2 years so far
-
NETGEAR's ProSafe AP on Aruba controller?
sidewinder replied to MicrodigitUK's topic in Wireless Networks
Indeed. We used to use MS Radius and 802.11x. Now with Aruba we still use it, except we dont have to configure every seperate AP in it anymore, it just points to the Aruba box. It hugely simplifies deployment and management, thats the main reason for it, if anyone thinks its just a replacement for the built in MS tools they have totally got the wrong end of the stick. -
thanks for that, will have a look, at least now I know the bits to look for! no its not a public address, the public address is translated into a private (for the WAN) one by Atomwide. Its an annoying setup but theres nothing I can do about it
-
You'll all be delighted to know that this is now sorted The Canon guy was in again yesterday so asked him, and you have to use the department ID's to gain access. So that was as simple as using our IT number for the general use photocopier and he had set one up for the Resources ones Now got 5 networked photocopiers!
-
Thanks Didnt realise my year wasnt viewable. I'm 25 today
-
You've parked there more than once a day this year then?
-
Do your SMT (Senior Management team) listen to you?
sidewinder replied to hillskill's topic in General Chat
They kind of throw money at us here, though sometimes they get a bit carried away with wanting more clients so we do have to remind them we need more backend stuff to support them We get about £20k for network infrastruture though -
cheers, couldnt get that to work though Ive got a stack of manuals from them, both printed and on cd. Does the network setup guide mention it? Of course not Dont understand why companies regard this as top secret information. Its always a mission Will have to contact the guy I think, which is ridiculous for such a simple query
