Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

sidewinder

Members
  • Posts

    3,170
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by sidewinder

  1. Hmm you could get lucky but I certainly wouldnt say that you can use any OEM disc for it..the codes often do seem to be tied to that companies discs
  2. tbf, I wouldnt use BT for anything these days, legal or illegal. Far quicker via newsgroups
  3. sued them? did they count them wrong? Anyway, whichever method you use, you'll have the reward of a scanner or an inkjet printer for counting 36,000 vouchers. You lucky thing
  4. 3/4 cards, a box of roses and a bottle of Bud
  5. Yeah I've got ARD. Just thought it may cause problems doing OS updates with it. But if not, excellent!
  6. Suppose the new image route is the best way to go about this, rather than trying to update the existing clients? Suppose thats the way I would do a Windows one anyway!
  7. Although you might struggle (read: die) on the M62 on a bike! So he would have to find a different route. And to be fair, while 10 miles is doable, its not going to be the nicest journey at this time of year. I'm 5 miles from work and do cycle sometimes but its a depressing experiance in the rain
  8. Yeah the passport is the one Ive got (though the 120gb version) Love it, couldnt do without it now tbh
  9. Fair point about Reading, it would be difficult to achieve there. I hate driving anywhere near the town centre as it is! Yeah, I would much rather see a massive improvment in buses or other public transport than simply a congestion charge zone, but anything that makes people think twice about taking the car is a start. People need petrol to drive anywhere. But they dont always NEED to drive into town/city centres. I do feel sorry for people living inside zones, or have to deliver inside them. But I dont have much sympathy for people moaning, say about the London one, because they want to be lazy and drive to work, when there is excellent public transport links
  10. ^ good point. It was very slippy earlier - wouldnt fancy taking mine today! Try and impress the examiner with a few handbrake turns in the icy test centre car park
  11. yeah, and it was at the time too although the BT software seemed to be wanting to replace zero config so that may well have been the original cause of the problem
  12. Most cheap flash drives have awful transfer speeds - I dont see the point in having an 8GB one if it takes hours to copy that much data on it I like the WD pocket 2.5" drives, not too expensive. Mine has taken all kinds of knocks and bumps and still works ok (touch wood)
  13. What if you drive into a wall? Not saying you would Gatt! Good luck! Took me 6 attempts to pass
  14. Why are you against it? Nothing wrong with c-charging in city centres IMO. If the zone is spread too far into residential areas though then it isnt good.
  15. well its certainly running better Considering its a 1.5Ghz Pentium-M with 256MB RAM you can imagine how slow it was uninstalling norton and clearing all the crap from startup has helped it a lot
  16. Worked a treat, thanks Michael - yeah they were definately working fine, literally just wernt showing up in network connections ps I admit I have got a case of Friday laziness today - I probably could have sorted most of this without making a thread but thanks for everyones help
  17. Cheers, the removal tool worked a treat...at uninstalling Norton. I would normally recommend AVG myself but we put Sophos on all staff laptops, even ones that never touch the network - just makes things more consistant. Still though, neither the wireless nor the wired connection appear in Network Connections. They are installed, drivers are there, plug a cable in and get an IP address but they just dont appear. Which makes it impossible to connect to a wireless network because the taskbar icon doesnt appear either!
  18. This a nightmare. Removed anything in add/remove, rebooted and STILL the network connections are not accessible. Norton has no entry to remove arghhhhh
  19. cheers plexer, ill remove it then. Dont think theres much point suggesting changing encryption since he wouldnt know what I mean
  20. I dont want one or anything, lord no. Just got a question. Staff laptop brought in, they cant get on the internet at home. BT software is installed, and either that or Norton seems to be taking control of both the wired and wireless NIC's If I removed all this crap (why do they provide all this stuff??) and give it back to him in a state where he could just connect to the wireless like anywhere else - would that work? Does the home hub provide a standard wireless connection? Hes also got a BT broadband connection set up in Network Connections - I assume this is probably from having just an adsl modem connected to it before they got the home hub? If you could see what the teacher in question is like with computers you'd understand why I'm not asking him any of this...
  21. I saw most of them when they were first on - fascinating. Always amazing to see footage from periods that most of us have only seen in B+W before
  22. Some useful replies, cheers Sounds like its definately worth asking then, they might surprise me with their answer! I was only planning on a few months around Europe at first, since its the first time I've done anything like this, and I'll be on my own, but I'm not against staying longer/moving on to another continent (money permitting!) Suppose if I cant keep my job open and it gets even harder to get a job then I may be staying a lot longer! Also, I would love to go to Australia & the fasr east too but I think the costs of the flights may prohibit me for a while Thats the reason I want to do Europe - can all be done by train! (I hate flying)
  23. Our office has gone from half of the server room, to a small office with no windows, to one of the old staff workrooms which is actually a half decent size (though still cramped with 5 people in) Dont think they're going to give us anything bigger!
  24. Theres a ridiculous one just across the road from me, if I can be bothered I'll take a pic. I do like outside lights, like some in trees and stuff, but people go way over the top
  25. My work PC always turns itself on fairly early in the morning. Hibernate it every night yet without fail its switched on when I come in the next day. Thought it was a colleague helpfully turning it on but it happens even when I'm the only one in! Never got round to investigating it since I always forget to look! And its fairly useful so not too bothered I reckon its a BIOS setting though
×
×
  • Create New...