sidewinder
Members-
Posts
3,170 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by sidewinder
-
Well of course its survived but its only recently that fans (and managers) have had access to multi angle and slow motion replays. Years ago, a bad decision could be suspected but not proven so everyone just got on with it. But if you're going to use technology for the viewers, and you know mistakes are going to be analysed, then introduce at least some technology for the officials - like there is in almost EVERY other sport And like it or not, the game at the highest level is worth big money, a bad mistake can cost a team millions through no fault of their own. I wouldnt want technology replacing much, and mistakes are part of the game, but decisions like Saturdays are just ridiculous (and also ones like Roy Carroll dropping Pedro Mendes's shot 2 yards over the line) and could be easily rectified
-
Dont do it round my area, as for Reading itself I dont think they do it there either, and thats extremely multi cultural
-
Will it be televised?
-
I'm trying to install Sophos to our Macs. I've got the package, and it installs fine via remote desktop using the install packages function, but I then have to go and set the update location etc manually which defeats the point of deploying it. On Windows, we use switches after the setup.exe to set the update username/pw and location. There doesnt seem to be anything of the sort for Macs. But there MUST be a way to do it?? I've found something about a network package for OS X but we dont have that, we just have the standalone installer (we get it from the LEA, they dont supply us with much) also, even if Im doing it manually, what should I put in the URL field for autoupdate? The windows clients use \\servername\interchk\esxp so does the Mac one have to be smb://servername/interchk/esosx?? Because that doesnt seem to work
-
That wasnt even what was given as the goal! It was before that where Noel Hunt hooked it back into the box. It barely even crossed the touchline, and it was about 2 yards from the post! About video replays - they really should be in place for goalline decisions. Nothing else really. Or even just the sensor that detects if the ball has gone between the posts. That would do! And wouldnt slow the game down.
-
Didnt know about that one! Thanks! The amount of times I just want an explorer window and end up having to get a run box up and then type a drive letter! Windows + L for me - second nature now when I leave the PC
-
Havent got any but still cant believe it Im a Reading fan so not that bothered but it was a ridiculous decision...what that linesman had been smoking I dont know We probably should have let them have a goal to make up for his stupidity but then again its not up to the players to make sure decisions are correct
-
Most of that stuff is far more sensible than some of the ridiculous stuff they show at fashion week, first dress I think is alright actually
-
I'm using an integrated CD now, but originally I think SP3 was installed on top of SP2 Could mean all new images then
-
Ive been informed today that on a lot of machines, when students/staff are usign explorer to browse mapped drives (such as the shared area), explorer will suddenly close, leaving them with just the wallpaper, and then it will restart, so they have to navigate to the folder again. The error message logged is: "The shell stopped unexpectantly and explorer.exe was restarted" Its not even logged as an error though, its logged as an information item from WINLOGON. Only seems to be happening with SP3 machines. Found a few bits on the net but nothing concrete. Just wondering if anyone else has encountered this? Why does this school always come up with strange, unsolvable problems
-
Looks good, and thanks for the MSI Wish Id waited a few weeks now and not bothered with a script
-
I'm not going to get too excited till I try it, but as we use PCE as well I'd say theres a good chance that could be it Thanks Rob
-
Weird Shockwave Problem - Installed, but won't work!
sidewinder replied to Zoom7000's topic in Windows
Ive had a similar problem, with Multimedia Science School (made by Plato!) Its only on a few machines though, and only with certain teacher accounts, with some it works ok Last time I got round it by using the shockwave uninstaller from adobe and then going to the website and getting the latest one to install. Redeploying our MSI still brought up the error. Yet that same MSI will work fine with MMS on various other computers -
Nah its ISA 2004, although its then directed to the LEA proxy as well, and the combination of the 2 dont exactly have a trouble free history... And yes, works with IE6. Havent tried with FF on those machines, because it happens with no real pattern my testing has been limited
-
Not the latest, but fairly recent I suppose on an affected machine I could reinstall them all with the latest versions and see if it makes any difference
-
You've got 'view users, groups and computers as containers' turned on Untick it in the view menu
-
Yeah we do use a proxy lol if I could get it to happen on a laptop I would try that, just desktops so far though!
-
PLEASE say someone else has come across this. On some machines, IE7 wont display certain web sites, the most common one reported is Edexcel's. You just get Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage. Most likely causes: You are not connected to the internet The website is encountering problems There might be a typing error in the address Well, it certainly isnt any of those things, the site works perfectly on most machines. It isnt just a certain type of machine either (which could of pointed to a bad installation of IE on an image) it seems fairly random If there is a lot happening on the PC and its running slowly, you'll sometimes even see the Edexcel page rendered for half a second before the error appears. Until I saw this I thought this was a network problem, like the machines couldnt resolve the right IP address, but the fact it is briefly being displayed rules that out It makes no sense, I cant recreate it because it just seems to happen randomly. Uninstalling IE7 fixes it, but as soon as you put IE7 back, the problem reoccurs Getting very annoying now
-
I think you've got all the advice you need so I wont add any more But that caretakers attitude is disgusting! I mean I know theres a fair few grumpy ones out there (including here) but even so I would expect them to at least help out a pregnant women!! Sorry for the language but what a tosser!
-
Doubt anyone will want these, but worth a go. We've just installed a load of Dell Optiplex 755's, but they have gone into integrated desks - eg the desk has a fixed arm for the monitor, so we are left with 30 screen stands we have no use for. Im going to keep a few for spares, but aside from those the rest will end up in a skip, which is a disgusting waste considering how solid and sturdy they are. So has anyone got some Dell monitors with broken stands? lol Not sure which monitors they fit, but most 17" Dell ones seem to fit it (possibly even 19" do) They're similar to this: Dell Stand monitor 17 inch TFT Flat screen on eBay, also, Monitors, Computing (end time 01-Oct-08 22:52:42 BST) Except instead of the rounded base, they have a 2 pronged base, the newer type. So if anyone wants them, they're free!
-
^ Bloody hell, you photograph the staff for SIMS? There would be moans aplenty if that happened here lol...strictly students only
-
today is probably the best first day of term I've ever had here! Aside from the 4 million students who cant remember their passwords, there havent been too many problems at all. Even my new Mac network, that took up most of my summer, seems to be holding up well so far This all shouldnt be a surprise, everything is just working as its supposed to, but we all know what normally happens on the first day: unbelievable bad luck, panicking staff making things worse and basically hell on earth. But I've actually done some decent work today!
-
1.86ghz Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD. Dell Optiplex 745 Funny thing is, the IT support machines (all the same) were the best in the school when we got them. Now they're probably the worst! (desktops anyway) Ive also got a Mac Mini on my desk which has 2Ghz Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM but only really use it for admin on the Mac network
-
Oh, its no easier or harder, I can do it all with scripts and stuff, its just it was always another thing to remember to do - unshare hundreds of student folders before deleting them I do remember someone else pointing out a disadvantage with seperate shares but no idea what it was now For your security on home folders, do you use CACLS? Ive got an excel sheet with the command listed, then use concatenate to get the username in from another cell, then just paste the whole lot in a cmd window
-
^ not a great way of doing it though, having a share for each user Much easier to just have one! Also, never had a problem giving full control - as long as you lock it down so that they cant get to change permissions its fine
