sidewinder
Members-
Posts
3,170 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by sidewinder
-
holidays here too in for most of it, but unusually there isnt much to do! normally theres a massive list of jobs but hardly anything this time....so theres been a bit of pro evo playing so far
-
Bit of both, god knows what he's done but I think hes getting confused with his router and how to connect things to it, he seems to have thought you have to run the windows networking wizard to get the internet on other machines Hopefully will just be a quick job of setting everything up as it should be
-
Fair enough Well if hes willing to give me that 50/60 quid Id be more than happy with that, as long as im not there too long
-
Doesnt often happen here, but someone wants me to look at their home network as theyve cocked it up a bit. He has offered to pay. It doesnt sound like an enourmously long job but I want to be paid appropriatly for my time He reckoned he would pay PC World '50 or 60 quid to sort it' - is that realistic for those places? Whats a sensible per hour rate to charge him?
-
This isnt really a moan, just wanted to know what others thought of this quote Our Dell account manager recently changed and theyve been trying to now flog us everything they can, and insisted on this quote despite no-one really asking for it The hardware side of this cost isnt anything bad, and it does include a 4.4Tb SAN, 2 very powerful servers and a less well specced server for management of it all. Its more the other costs I want to question. £3k for a virtualisation assesment, and £8k for a VMWare consultancy service. That seems the extravagent bit to me Plus, the proposal includes getting rid of pretty much all our servers, some which are only a year old! Ive got nothing against virtualisation, and it is the future in some scenarios. And the SAN is a great idea, I definately think its what we should get here instead of buying more servers with tons of drives Obviously I know Dell want to flog us all the equipment they can, but Id want to use the 2 newest servers we already have (Dual Core Xeon x2, 8GB RAM) for hosting virtual machines. And I dunno if this is me thinking a bit backward, but Id always prefer to keep my DC's on physical boxes? And anyone thats done a big virtualisation project, is it better to do it all in one go like this, or migrate slowly?
-
Exactly He might well have loads of experiance when he leaves school but my bet is he wont have many social skills... I always was interested in computers but apart from taking my home one apart, I didnt do anything advanced until I was 16 and went to college, and I had barely touched networking, AD etc until I was 20 (since college was all theory)
-
Yeah I had one of those, a 4x Creative one I think, on my 486 It was amazing at the time to play some truly awful 'multimedia' games Why was there such a big fuss over read speeds? Was there really that much difference between 2 and 4x? I used that 4x drive until I got my first CD writer in 2000 so I never saw the early, early drives
-
[closed] bug/error: Forums now blocked by LEA
sidewinder replied to sidewinder's topic in EduGeek.net Site Problems
redirect seems to be broken again on the front page, if i hover over a link to a forum it comes up as frms in the url, but clicking on it takes me to the 'forums' url and so its blocked i can get into each forum if i manually change the url, but cant get in any threads at all, even when i edit it also cant view images again -
Legend! thankyou Tested it on a few and they've registered in the console almost straight away Trying it on a whole suite now as a startup script This is one of those problems that Ive been putting off and putting off, and to solve it (hopefully) so quickly has made me very happy!
-
Thanks DB, I will give that a try I was thinking it might be something to do with SIDs, we do use Sysprep on every image though... Thanks all above as well. I will check the services, all clients are SP2, and when I last checked the logs on some machines there was nothing obvious at all, it all looked like it was working ok, which confused me even more And GPO's are double, triple checked, after originally I forgot to change one and wondered why hardly anything was registering on the new server
-
Like you say, I cant see why it would stop Windows from loading, but on a few laptops we found that when the internal mic was set to maximum, as soon as it became active in Windows, it would produce an intolerable high pictched noise because it was positioned too near the speaker
-
This is driving me mad now A year or so ago, I set up our first WSUS server, it worked fine and all clients synched and updated from it. When that server was replaced in the summer, I did a fresh install on another server. Since then, ive only been able to get about half (400) of the computers to register themselves in the console. Ive even tried installing it on another server and the exact same thing happens. The weird thing is, its not a random half of the computers, with the odd exception, its a whole set/room of laptops/pc's that either are or arent detected. For instance one of our IT suites, not a single PC from in there has registered itself. Yet a room down the corridor, every one has done it. GPO's are applying to all, they are set at an OU that contains every single client machine. I can only assume, as whole rooms arent beign detected, that its something thats different on various images. Ive checked the WSUS client versions, and some of the ones that wont register have higher versions than some that do, so its not that they are out of date. I will, over easter, be working my way through all the suggestions on http://www.wsuswiki.com but it looks like a lot of work, so before then I thought Id ask here to see if anyone has had a similar problem...
-
To be fair, those are the times it really is drivel Chris Moyles is an arrogant wanker who is about as funny as cancer and the less said about Scott Mills the better Jo Whiley, Nihal and most of the evening shows are alright though
-
Maybe Im missing something but when I started my job the CRB check didnt slow things down at all? I started work within a couple of weeks and got the paperwork for the CRB a few weeks after that
-
Shes an idiot...especially after all the other stories that have been in the news about houses being wrecked when kids have parties. I used to have parties at my parents house but I was SO careful to only invite people I knew well, and who wouldnt bring any dickheads with them Seems like some people like that girl are too desperate to be popular so try to invite as many people as they can, despite the fact that those people couldnt give a crap about her, they're just coming for the party Not the BBC's fault at all
-
Thanks for the info Seriously, forget that. Im not running parts of the school on a different version of Java, or Flash, or anything, since Ive only just got them all MSI'd and the whole school standerdised Also, in addition to all the science laptops, we also have 2 general purpose IT suites so it would need to work in there too, but there is other software that it would conflict with due to different plug in versions All in all, no chance. My NM is going to suggest that they send it back if possible. If they refuse, well I cant guarantee I will ever be able to 'get it working' What makes it even more pointless is that the box says the content is from Channel 4 Clipbank - we're getting that resource free from the LEA in a few months!
-
MSI doesnt work
-
Yeah there is an MSI although I have no idea if its the client software or a full local install I will give it a try DMcCoy - Ive just searched with different terms and I understand why you say that now Ive just told my NM about it, and basically if just deploying the MSI doesnt work then the software will not be getting installed. Im not lowering security settings just for it
-
Thanks for taking a look. Looks like a bit of a nightmare, might be easier to just package it...I was hoping not to, but I suppose it doesnt make much difference overall And no we're not CC3, vanilla here
-
Anyone dealt with this before? Any tips? Just about to try and create an MSI Its the usual sort of software that smugly tells you that its networkable, but you still need to go and manually install a client on each machine. Some of these software companies really do take the piss...we've got 60 science laptops and 13 teacher machines, no WAY am I installing this manually on all of those
-
We dont have anything in ours, no fire door, no extinguisher, no system fitted. If there was a fire it would burn as quickly as anything else Backups are right over the other side of the site in a fire safe though, so it would have have to be the mother of all fires to destroy both locations
-
Hi Bizzel, having some problems running from a network share Ive not even tried it on a logon script yet, because I cant actually execute it at all when its on the network. Ive tried several different clients, several servers, and both mapped and UNC shares Every time I click on it I get ' Acceptable Usage Policy Informant has encountered a problem and needs to close' this is the error signature AppName: aup.exe AppVer: 1.0.1.0 AppStamp:47d28f1b ModName: kernel32.dll ModVer: 5.1.2600.3119 ModStamp:46239bd5 fDebug: 0 Offset: 00012a5b It runs fine from whatever local drive I put it on, but no network drives at all
-
I do D>D>T with Backup Exec 12 Got a server with around 900GB storage (RAID5) which is enough to hold one full backup, and 5 days differential backup. I then transfer the full backup to tape using the duplicate feature in BE. So then Ive got full backups on tape going back a month (plus one for the end of term, end of year etc) and the last full backup still on disk for quick restores
-
Yeah I will vouch for the 4600 too, we've got one in Art that has been there at least 3 or 4 years, and apart from having to add more memory to handle the huge photoshop files they print, its always worked like a dream. Likewise we've got about 3 4650's in Tech and they're still going strong Touch wood, ive never had to dump a HP colour laser yet, whereas a few of the mono's have broken beyond repair, although tbf they were things like 2200's and 1300's
-
We use 2600's for colour and P2015's for mono Im not a massive fan of the 2600 but for some reason we never seem to buy another brand...id like to give Kyocera a try
