sidewinder
Members-
Posts
3,170 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by sidewinder
-
Been asked loads of times before, just use any half decent PC and put some more RAM in it If you do buy a server, be careful with your coffee this time
-
Novatech Laptop - Wireless needs activating manually
sidewinder replied to firefox_2006's topic in Hardware
We have the same problem with a load of Acer 4150 laptops - wireless has to be turned on every single time, which causes a LOT of problems No way we could ever find to keep it enabled, so all we could do was make all the teachers aware, and finally (after 2 years) we're starting to get less calls about them -
We dont have someone called a 'data manager' as such but there is someone who manages SIMS day to day. She isnt above or below the network manager, she reports to the deputy head as well We still have to do the technical bits of SIMS, and help with upgrades, and the ICT Co-ordinator still does some admin bits of it, but she does the majority - running and printing reports, setting up users and permissions, liasing with LEA SIMS team - would be a nightmare if we had to do it all. Its a nice arrangement for all concerned
-
Tips to (not) get the most out of your IT department
sidewinder replied to sidewinder's topic in General Chat
They must be aware that you're good with cars though? Cus otherwise why on earth would they ask IT to do stuff like that? I severely doubt anyone else on here gets asked to do things like that! -
Winstall is good, but I would only recommend it for simple programs, definately not SIMS or anything
-
[closed] bug/error: Forums now blocked by LEA
sidewinder replied to sidewinder's topic in EduGeek.net Site Problems
The new url does work here, thankyou Lets hope they dont block this one..seems unlikely though -
[closed] bug/error: Forums now blocked by LEA
sidewinder replied to sidewinder's topic in EduGeek.net Site Problems
I know, its ridiculous, and I can see why some people here cant believe it. It USED to be better than this, there was a clear system to either block or unblock a site, and although it still had to go through someone, the request was normally granted as long as it was sensible. But since they upgraded their filter and support site, its been a complete nightmare. Theres a student policy and a staff policy which can be applied to specific IP's. Some things such as forums can be unblocked on the staff policy, but thats it...NO individual sites can be unblocked anymore, just a few select categories. That is, until they provide the tools to allow individual schools to customise their filtering, these were supposed to be put in place to co-incide with the filter upgrade, but nearly a year later, we have a more restrictive filter and NO tools...and all we get when we ask is 'its being discussed' Its a disgrace that we pay for this pathetic service, but Ive not heard of any other schools complaining. Perhaps thats because there have been no proper WAN meetings for a year either, so no-one can even air their grievences If I had the authority to make the decision, I would withdraw at the first possible oppourtunity, get ADSL in and do it ourselves. We're paying god knows how much for a service that the IT staff, teachers, and students all get annoyed with -
[closed] bug/error: Forums now blocked by LEA
sidewinder replied to sidewinder's topic in EduGeek.net Site Problems
Yeah that doesnt surprise me, West Sussex use LGFL/Atomwide as well don't they? -
[closed] bug/error: Forums now blocked by LEA
sidewinder replied to sidewinder's topic in EduGeek.net Site Problems
Well my manager has requested it also and I will have a look tomorrow morning and see what they have said Grumbledook I will PM you the name if it isnt resolved, if you want to go ahead with contacting them anyway -
[closed] bug/error: Forums now blocked by LEA
sidewinder replied to sidewinder's topic in EduGeek.net Site Problems
Believe me, Ive tried (not with edugeek but other IT forums I used), but they refuse to categorise by sensible criteria like that, its a blanket ban on all forums whatever their content Asked them just now about giving us a staff policy that would be unrestricted apart from adult material etc, but they say they cant do it. I know for a fact they at least used to be able to, because they used to have a copy of their policies available for download, and there was an optional one that allowed everything ZeroHour - nice one, thanks. I know a lot of forums would just say 'tough' so I appreciate you trying to help greatly -
[closed] bug/error: Forums now blocked by LEA
sidewinder replied to sidewinder's topic in EduGeek.net Site Problems
Apparantly not, we just get a reply back saying its blocked as part of our policy. It used to be possible but since they upgraded the filter and support system (and perhaps staff?) its almost a waste of time even asking them, whatever reason you give, they won't unblock a single site jcollings - sort of, we can have categories such as forums and software downloads allowed on certain addresses, but nowhere near unfiltered access -
[closed] bug/error: Forums now blocked by LEA
sidewinder replied to sidewinder's topic in EduGeek.net Site Problems
Right I might have been a bit over dramatic before I was just severely pissed off It seems anything with vBulletin is automatically blocked with websense The stupid thing is that the new forum worked for half hour or so this morning, then was suddenly blocked Support call to the LEA was of no help at all...they just say its correctly categorised as a forum - despite me telling them its worked fine for the last 18 months when it was on the old software (phpbb?) Maybe our LEA is more strict than others...hopefully no-one else has this problem with the forum change I now have to use a virtual machine with an admin IP address (since we have an ISA server with a single external address which is a curriculum one) but at least I can get on -
[closed] bug/error: Forums now blocked by LEA
sidewinder posted a topic in EduGeek.net Site Problems
Just to let everyone know, since the move to vbulletin, the forums are now blocked by the West berks Lea with websense, which may be the case with other lea's too. So unless they agree to unblock it on the admin network I probably wont be around here anymore. Posting this from my phone so excuse the huge paragraphs! -
Excellent, no problem
-
Have you edited the system policy and added your machine/ip address to the remote management computers group? Until you do that remote desktop to the ISA server wont work. At least thats how it is in 2004 anyway
-
Half hour to go then Im out of here till the 3rd. No chance will I be coming in before then
-
The main use for the wi-fi shirt I can see would be in work. Next time someone complained saying there was no signal in their room, I could walk in proudly, watch the shirt light up and just say "OH REALLY?" and watch them squirm in shame as they realise they are actually just an idiot who couldnt press the wireless button Outside of work - no chance. Already too many people assume everyone in IT is a geek - this would just prove it
-
finished early today but working tomorrow and friday not much work to do though so virtually finished already
-
Well they're only the same company in name, Virgin Media is essentially still NTL, who have always been a bit useless. To be fair though, outages are fairly rare Mine was off for about 3 hours last night
-
This perhaps should be in Educational IT Jobs but it isnt strictly about jobs in education Basically, I want to move away from where I am, its all too familiar, lived here all my life, need a real change. Want to do this within the next year. So obviously I will need a new job So Ive been looking at some jobs, first time in 3 years, and its a little depressing. I didn't expect to be able to walk into anything but it seems anything above helpdesk roles (which I could have got when I left college) are still beyond me. I have 3 years experiance, I have an MCSA (almost) but the jobs that are available call for much more than that like extensive Exchange knowledge, VPN's, Server 2003 clustering, (these are just examples, there were loads) things I still have no experiance in. And of course thats only 10% of jobs. 90% are programming or developing jobs, and since I cant write anything except a few scripts, nor will I ever really want to since it doesnt interest me, a large majority of jobs I cant even do. So are theres specific things I need to learn? Eg should I learn Exchange even though we dont use it? Should I learn SQL? It seems my "jack of all trades, master of none" experiance from my current job is a bit useless Should I just look for another job in education for now? I mean its the moving away I want most, not a different job, I quite enjoy mine. But the money is still going to be poor. Im not driven by money at all, but I do need enough to live on. And considering I want to move to London, I dont think my current salary would be enough
-
Goto Configuration>Networks>Web Chaining And yes that 'should' work assuming everything is set up properly
-
Very clever but as it cuts to another angle when it moves to a different part of the house, he did each section seperately Very good though...and quite sad
-
Thankyou! Appreciate it
-
Would like to try using it for network documentation I can get to http://wiki.splitbrain.org/wiki:dokuwiki But for some unknown reason, as per usual, the http://www.splitbrain.org/go/dokuwiki is blocked by the LEA I assume its a fairly small download, so could someone upload it for me? Please
