Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

sidewinder

Members
  • Posts

    3,170
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by sidewinder

  1. I use the folder based quotas in Server 2003 R2
  2. Thanks! Mine wasnt amazingly slow, but there was a second or so lag when opening emails. Gone now
  3. Will it be included with XP SP3?
  4. We've got about 150 of the Dell USFF with Optiplex 745's - been very, very few problems with them Not the best looking but small and tidy
  5. I use the HP tool to format the disk Using DOS boot files I either d/led from MS or copied off a boot floppy, cant remember Then put Net Boot Disk onto it - http://www.netbootdisk.com/ Which has virtually every NIC driver and works with all of ours. Also edited the logon script on the net book disk so it connects to a network share with ghost.exe Very simple I can post the guide I wrote for the other IT staff if anyone wants?
  6. Haha Ive done that before too, while trying out something or other Learnt my lesson and everything is well and truly isolated from the school network now
  7. No idea how its all set up, seems a fairly old system which we have but it works ok One line in our office, with 4 handsets. For a time though, I ran the phone cord from the server room through a hole in the wall so we had 2 lines Then I remembered I hate phones and there was no point
  8. Im the same, I run the Dude and get nothing like what MarkB got, I just get a flat map, with every single device: computers, switches and printers all connected to one cloud with the network id in it
  9. Football - watching (season ticket holder at Reading) & playing Drinking Music Reading Movies Not very exciting but thats about it!
  10. Never mind, Ive finally given up on Virtual Server, started using VMWare Server and have got Server 2008 installed in about half hour...Vmware seems a much better product
  11. quick question, didnt see much point in starting a new thread, but for those who have installed it on virtual server, where is the SCSI driver? It was always detected automatically with 2003 + Xp so it surprised me somewhat..
  12. Oh, ok..I kind of thought they would be unwilling...and I though they would have a record of what we had I'll tell my Dad to do that then...not too bothered myself anymore as Im moving out Friday
  13. At home we have the 20mb service but because we've got one of the old Home 120 modems, I dont think we can actually get the full 20Mb...and Virgin have never offered to send out a new one Normally get about 13meg fairly constantly though. Only niggles are when Im downloading from newsgroups it cuts out completely (like everythign, not just NG traffic) for a few minutes every half hour or so - so much for them saying they dont use traffic shaping And the 4GB 'limit' before the speed is halved is quite annoying...especially when I read it wouldnt apply off peak, but low and behold it does the exact same thing on the weekends...
  14. Exactly! Its good to keep hardware going as long as possible but there does come a time when they really cant be much use Keep a couple for some of the Linux based ideas people have suggested and perhaps one for a computer museum?!, but you're probably best off getting shot of the rest
  15. Haha didnt expect this to suddenly appear again! Network is running fine now. Bought 2 brand new servers soon after this thread, made them both DC's, demoted the other 2, split DNS & DHCP over the 2, and storage wise one holds staff data, the other students. Been running fine like that for over a year now Seems the old one was just overloaded. It has a much more sedate life as a WSUS server now If you were talking to me, I did thanks How are things? Unlucky on the 291, surprised you got ISA questions! You did OK on DNS and RRAS then?
  16. 1700 kids, 900 computers, but about 100 of those are staff machines cant be bothered to work it out...slightly less than 2:1 I guess
  17. Didnt go to BETT but yeah...every time I go to London I seem to end up spending ages at Earls Court tube station
  18. Just wanted to check this even happens in some areas before I ask and potentially look like a fool! A friend that works in a re-integration centre, which comes under the same LEA as my school, reckons he got a paid moving day when he moved house Im moving out next week and while I will take a days holiday if needed, i'd prefer a paid day obviously! Does this happen with some councils?
  19. Now im looking on the Mac server (running 10.3.9) and getting the printer list up, and it finds every other Appletalk printer but not the Canon one! Yet Ive got the Macbook next to me and it finds it every time! Whats going on?
  20. Had a call from the Art department yesterday saying that their Macs had stopped printing to their network photocopier (Photocopier is a Canon 1100 and the network unit is a Canon PS-NX500W) What was happening was that when people were printing, osx was trying to open the appletalk connection and was failing with an error of 'no such host' or something similar (stupidly didnt write it down - im worse than a teacher!) So I deleted it and attempted to re-add it. The printer would show up in printer browser (shows up as 3 - CANON1100_Direct, CANON1100_Hold, CANON1100_Print) but clicking on it would bring up the 'Opening connection' dialog as it attempted to connect, but it would time out every time. So we rebooted the network unit and all was OK for a while, but then it started happening again. I was told it was now happening on a different set of Macs, that all had Panther (the first time they were just trying to print with iMacs that have Tiger) But this time a few let me delete the printer and re-add it straight away, but others were timing out trying to add it Went over and tried after school yesterday and again the iMacs were doing it. Now Ive tried with a MacBook over here, which wasnt connecting to it yesterday, and now it is, every time, which is why I cant post the exact error messages. I cant get into much of the printer config, the web UI is a complete waste of time, and theres no obvious 'settings' section on the menu on the network unit - theres a 'Run Setup' but that sounds a bit dodgy to me, at least until I can find the manual and check its the right section But nothing has changed, so why is Appletalk behaving so strangely all of a sudden??
  21. Quality Speaking to Atomwide, it seems my LEA hasnt enabled it because I dont think they have the policies and paperwork together yet and because they know that few schools have proper AUP's etc Hopefully it will be rolled out sooner rather than later!
  22. I didnt think we would ever be at risk until that day last July when there was waist deep water gushing past the school It only ever got into underground parts of the school though, so unless it happens again but even worse, we will be alright. In fact I think the school was one of the few buildings in the surrounding estates that didnt get totally flooded Looking fine at the minute though, it has been raining but nothing like as much as other areas. However last time we didnt get flooded by a river, it was by a deluge from higher ground, so another day of rain like July 20th and the same would probably happen again
  23. How do you do that?? Pretty sure we dont have the ability, which seems weird as we have the same provider?
  24. I need to have a real play with it first, but put it this way - its an upgrade I will be wanting unlike Vista! Unless of course its awful, but I havent heard anything to that effect. Only worry is if SMT find out that it makes it easier to manage Vista and want it deployed...
  25. Off topic slightly...Ive never understood why there even are such things as comment banks? I appreciate staff have to write a lot of reports but surely they can write the words themself?? Maybe Im missing something
×
×
  • Create New...