Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

sidewinder

Members
  • Posts

    3,170
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by sidewinder

  1. Yeah its still available, all yours if you want it! Good to see more and more people local to me around here
  2. Ah, fair point, yes, hadnt thought about that In that case, in the future would it be possible to add an option that doesn't write to the file if they click decline, so it would keep showing on logon? Im thinking something that can be turned on and off in the config file, since Im sure many find it useful the way it is currently Im being fussy though, it works perfectly for now, and like you say I can weed out people who have declined via the emails. I suspect the vast majority of 'rebels' will change their mind as soon as they get the warning about being logged off when clicking decline anyway
  3. Looks excellent, thank you...my NM is very pleased with it Ill soon find out when I try later, but is it possible to just put the files on a server and have the exe run on logon? Rather than worrying about an MSI Also, does it defeat the point a bit if they are able to log back on after declining it? Surely then they could get up to all sorts and because they havent accepted the AUP we cant do anything?
  4. For sale or just spare? Part number is N6747. Theres plenty on ebay but a) i cant really buy off there for school, b) they seem expensive for what they are (almost £20 each) and c) we've got no money till April I only need 3, Ive got hard disks ready to go in but no bloody caddies...why cant they just supply all 5 with the server?! Anyway so if anyone has any spare Id be willing to give a few quid for them
  5. I dont use stacked switches a lot anymore, most of ours are now Procurves which dont have the capability anyway (aside from the virtual option mentioned above) The few areas I do it is purely because there isnt enough capacity at the core to provide fibre to each switch individually, but this should be resolved later in the year. There is a management benefit having a stack, in that you only need 1 IP and only need to configure things once, but not any performance benefit IMO
  6. Doesnt work for me, tried from behind and in front of our ISA server so can only guess its blocked by my LEA. Hell why am I surprised? EVERYTHING gets blocked by them Nice idea though, guess Ill have to wait for the web client
  7. Why not? surely its fairly useful for staff to be emailed when theres an update on their problem? If we didnt have it here, they would never go back and look when we need more info
  8. Im pretty sure that jamming frequencies like that is illegal. But yes there are devices
  9. Wow, I didnt realise lasers used so much power, I knew it was more but not that much! And I also assumed that in energy saving mode they dropped down to a few W
  10. But then our schools agreement documentation makes no mention of servers, only desktops...like we're never asked how many servers we have Im thoroughly confused, we actually have NO info about how our servers are licensed..Im fairly sure they are but no idea how, and the NM doesnt know either. There was I think something in place before I came for Server 2003, which must have been SA. Then our 2 main servers replaced a few years ago came with 2003 R2 Enterprise Select licences from Ramesys so instantly they are different, and as they were additions we are surely not licensed to use the SA licences on them I think an email to MS is needed lol...to sort it all out...because I want to start upgrading as soon as Im happy with it
  11. Fair enough. I knew the server licences dont fall under the schools agreement (or so im told) and I didnt know how we had them licensed...guess it must be with software assurance
  12. Just logged into the school's volume licensing page, and I noticed there is now a key listed for Server 2008, when we havent even looked at purchasing it yet. Is it just the case that is the key we use but we arnt actually legal until we buy licences for it?
  13. I never do No remote access set up yet and the caretakers dont like opening on Saturdays anyway, not that I would want to go! I like to forget about work at weekends If I needed to fit a new server and there were no holidays coming up, I would go in on a Saturday (i have once before) but I would expect pay or time off during the week in return.
  14. Unfortunatly the newer one is now taken subject to collection The older one is still available if you are interested?
  15. Ive really got to get rid of this stuff as my NM wants the space in the cupboard and I dont want to see it WEEE'd if someone can make use of it One newish server (with problems) and one oldish one The newer one is a 5U rackmount one with a Intel SC5300LX chassis (has 6 HD bays with hot swap caddies, a couple of 5 1/4 inch bays, and a LCD info panel). No hard disks as Ive taken them out to use in another server, sorry! Has a DVD drive though. Motherboard is an Intel SE7520AF2 with 2x 3Ghz (i think) Xeons. Onboard SCSI etc, dual GB LAN. There is a RAID card but I may need to nick it Reason we're getting rid of it is mainly because it wont fit in our rack, but also it used to occasionally hang randomly, not sure if it was the memory or board or what but I couldnt work it out. Possibly could have been a software problem, not totally sure. The older server is a Dell Poweredge 1400SC. Pentium 3 933Mhz with a second CPu socket I think. 512MB SDRAM. SCSI (Adaptec AIC7899 card/chipset) but no hard drive as it was only an 18GB one and it had all our FMS data on so cant really give it away. Its a black tower case, with CD driver and floppy, and 2 100MB NICs. Need to get rid of them within the next few weeks. COLLECTION ONLY from Thatcham, Berkshire. So consider whether you can make it here before requesting
  16. You legend, that is it! That office has a HP 2600 in it! Thanks I should have known the 2600 meant something...
  17. Ok, thanks for the clarification. Still sounds like the staff member could just have done what she wanted within SIMS though! And as for the error, its a 'floating point exception in A2600IP.dll' I originally thought it was just something wrong on an individual PC but shes tried it on several and run into the same problem
  18. Just has someone call up as they are getting an application error in Nova-T. Having NEVER used the software before, I havent really got a clue about it But my question is, Nova-T is just timetabling right? Is it still needed when you can do all that within Sims.net? So does the staff member even need to be using it? All it looked like she was doing when the error occurred was printing a students timetable
  19. Is Sharepoint server generally included with the Schools Agreement?
  20. Thanks, I have pm'd you
  21. Which is the easier method? Ive heard of limitlogon for a long time, but never thought we needed it till recently where there has been a lot of kids letting others use their account while they're already logged on
  22. We have exactly the same AP's as you and there is actually a setting for that, but its fairly useless because while it stops any more connections, the PC will just keep trying to connect to it rather than looking for another AP And if we have 16 (one trolley) on one its very slow...any more than that and its just ridiculous. As we have no managed system we've just had to say maximum of 15/16 per room and even then they have to stagger logons Thankfully this has got teaching staff finally realising that wireless really isnt that great when you want a whole class on computers
  23. OK Ive finally got round to doing this but I cant actually find Orca anywhere, must have deleted it. What makes it worse is that the MS link must be broken This should be it http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=C2B1E300-F358-4523-B479-F53D234CDCCF&displaylang=en but it doesnt work Does anyone have the SDK they could upload?
  24. Hmm Ive always found Intel boards to be a nightmare. Good enough when they work but various random problems over the years with USB ports, random hangs, faulty NIC's flooding the network, stuff that I just never see with Dell. We've got some recent ones from Stone and again they work ok most of the time, but for instance the other day we couldnt Ghost one, it would continually hang as Ghost was loading
  25. disabled here too, it is frustrating if you're used to using it but its not as if the functions arnt available elsewhere
×
×
  • Create New...