Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

sidewinder

Members
  • Posts

    3,170
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by sidewinder

  1. cheers Its my own fault, I've had all summer to implement it yet I wait till today
  2. Up now cheers Although I needed the package kit...how long till the latest version of that is ready?
  3. Anyone got the latest version of this?? Only got the original one, and now typically as I need the latest one, the site is down
  4. Ive got about 300 in each year, and years 10, 11, 12 and 13 use the Macs so thats 1200...bit too many to do manually lol But yeah I do find that doing things manually sometimes is quicker than fiddling for hours trying to get the 'quick' way working. Good luck for Monday. I've got till Wednesday, will be glad when its survived a day in 'action'
  5. Well I just couldnt use that script at all, I corrected whatever spaces had been put in at line 4, but then it had trouble with the 'else' at the end, and hours of changing and retyping it later it still wouldnt run. So in the end, I turned on SMB, and created the folders and set the permissions with a windows script. Obviously I'm missing the template this way, but it creates the desktop, downloads and library folders, and ive created the Documents folders with a script. Seems to work well enough. Not perfect but I was rapidly running out of time and have a lot of other things to do. Thanks for all your help dmccoy, and sorry for all the stupid questions. Theres still little bits to sort, the printers via managed prefs is one of them, but all the user creation and authentication bits are done so I'm happy
  6. Oh right, didnt see the template bit Weird though, because the first 2 test users I tried, it created all the folders automatically
  7. OK now got a problem, for no obvious reason, where when users log in, the documents, downloads etc folders arnt created, when they were before. Nothing at all has changed, permissions are set right, it doesnt make sense. They are still given their network folder, but the documents shortcut in the dock shows a question mark and theres only library and a few other folders created
  8. Thanks Still a bit stuck though. Ive edited the script to reflect my folder structure and changed MEDINA - I assume I need to put the name of my domain in there? Anyway, I run it as "sudo sh script.sh year10 tempfile" And I get: 'cript.sh: line 4: syntax error near unexpected token 'do 'cript.sh: line 4: 'do Dont really understand what that means...I really have no idea with bash scripts, sorry. I copied the script into notepad (since I can only get on edugeek on an xp VM) and then opened the .txt file in OSX and saved as .sh. That wouldnt have broken some formatting would it? It all looks fine
  9. Oh thanks, now you tell me! I'm still a bit confused about that script. I take it 'tempfile' needs to be in the same directory as the script. What format does it have to be in? And whats the 06 for? sorry for the really dumb questions
  10. ermm..no? Anyway, yes a lot of Wii games are gimmicks but only Wii Fit makes you shell out another £70 for the priviledge
  11. Id do them a favour and get them something else! The thing is a gimmick..very cool I admit but quickly becomes boring The ridiculous hype over it is totally unjustified. Shouldnt complain tho, bought one on release day for £65, sold it a month or so later for £90
  12. All the acorns have been cleared out I think, no doubt there is something ancient being used somewhere though. Ive got a stack of Acer Travelmate 200's that I use for troubleshooting at switches...Celeron's with 128MB ram, but they've got serial ports so they're more useful than any new laptops! Also the Geography departments weather station equipment is pretty old, as is the random CRT screen mounted on a wall up there - its the only one in the school now
  13. This is on my home Mac, works fine at work. Whenever I try and RDP or VNC to my home server (Windows XP) both programs cannot resolve the hostname, and if I try and just use the IP address, it looks for a while and then times out. Thing is, I can connect to my Windows shares on that server fine from the Mac so I know it can see it, Im just assuming various ports are blocked somewhere...but where? Weird that it works fine at school. Also works perfectly at home from an XP machine. Running 10.5.4
  14. Good to see people have quite varied tastes. Mines much the same, Im a fan of most genres: rock (modern and classic), hip hop, r&b, reggae (dub especially), drum & bass, garage, grime, punk, electro, dubstep, and pop (decent pop - not kiddies pop)
  15. I envy the fact you have big enough cabs to install cable management bars in - dont have that luxury in many here. Seems to be they have always chosen the smallest cab possible, barely enough room for the switches and patch panels
  16. Cant say Ive noticed any slowdown or dramatic increase in traffic However we only have the box connected to the network, the cameras use their own cabling directly to the box
  17. Glad you're ok! Something similar happened to a colleague a few years ago, was patching in some cables and it just fell down! Most of our cabs were put up by a shambles of a company so Ive got no doubt others are dodgy as well...Im just very careful around them. In fact a fair few seem to be supported by filing cabinets - eg theyve mounted them flush with the top of the cabinet...could see them coming down if the cabinets are moved
  18. To be honest, I cant even remember My last few months has been taken up rebuilding our apps server after the old one died, which is something Id preferred to have not been doing Set up a new Mac network (although thats only been in the last week!) Installed a few new servers, switches etc. Tonnes of software. Apart from that I cant remember
  19. lol...theres no pub crawl here but theres always an end of year party the day before the last day of term. So of course everyone gets hammered and comes in the next day. So agree with you there, it is stupid going out the day before the last day! I will be getting very drunk but also getting the train in on the last day...my sister getting done for drink driving last week has made me a lot more cautious! I like going out with the staff here, I wouldnt say im great friends with many but its nice to go out with a different group now and again..plus some of the women are incredibly hot
  20. No, AFAIK There is a MS tool called LimitLogon that can accomplish it, but I havent used it personally
  21. lol if I had a day off due to a strike I would be in BED, no chance would I be working
  22. PS3 is VERY noisy when it gets hot and the fans kick in, but I shouldnt think they'd need to if its just a film Watched a Blu-ray movie on my flatmates the other day, quality was just as good as my dad's standalone player IMO
  23. Aha...its probably not started, will check in the morning Thanks for the script!
  24. A PDF, a VB Script file, Batch file and a few others So yeah maybe its the scripts
  25. Its fine mate, I just downloaded it again
×
×
  • Create New...