Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

sidewinder

Members
  • Posts

    3,170
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by sidewinder

  1. Ooh that looks even better. Shame its not free but if it does the job it'll be worth it! thanks
  2. Same, the person with 3 years support experiance every time. Which is a shame for graduates but thats how it goes
  3. 4 years, 5 months
  4. Council doesnt do ours - dont think it does business or schools We use some local recycling company - bin in every room and then sacks are taken to a special bin area once a week. Im always a bit sceptical how well it gets done because a certain caretaker will always take the easy way out so I cant be sure he doesnt just throw them in the skip. And how does the recycling company deal with kids inevitably puttinf crisp packets etc in the bins? Anyone have alu can or plastic bottle recycling at their school? I dont understand why they dont do it here. Cans not so much as they dont sell them now but bottles they do so it seems wasteful
  5. Cheers, will give that a go
  6. Never really had an iPod before but have been given a 60GB iPod Photo so it would be a shame not to use it. Main problem is - I hate iTunes. My PC isnt that high spec so it runs like treacle. I do have a decent mac (which I know it runs well on) but it isnt my main machine, and I use a few computers and I want to be able to update and add to it on anything. My current music collection is stored on a small server which on my laptop I have mapped and then set as the basis for my WMP library. So using any other library based software (such as iTunes) is a pain because it takes a fair while to get it all in there in the first place What I really want is a drag and drop solution, I just want to be able to copy albums onto the iPod as a usb drive, run something and then be done with it. My iPod shuffle lets me do this, I found a python script that rebuilds the database, so I just copy music, run it, and go. Im after something similar for this. Ive tried Songbird - very good but it would be forever mounting the ipod (known bug by the looks of it) - so no good I tried Ephod - looked ok but kept giving weird errors and soooo slloooww Any other suggestions or am I stuck using bloody iTunes?
  7. Nothing appears under that section for me even though we have a valid agreement
  8. They're banned, but not by me, by the LEA Id argue that the music streaming ones are less of a timewaste than youtube etc Most annoyingly last.fm is blocked here under social networking I suppose it kind of is, but its a really useful resource for listening to new music and finding out about artists Id unblock that for everyone if I could
  9. OK it still wouldnt associate, even when I redid the unattended install and made sure MPC was supposed to be the default for everything. But I did manage to sort it - in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\DVD\shell\play\command there is a key to detirmine the default and this is what WinDVD et all sets when its installed. So a quick registry import script pointing it to MPC and it all works fine
  10. a common cold is not the same as seasonal flu! still not fatal to most but a lot worse than a cold
  11. Im still trying to work out whether your reply is sarcastic or not!
  12. Has to be kept as Windows 7 - the beta has been more popular and mainstream than any previous release and loads are referring to it by that name Plus its just a number, not the name of a bloody ski resort for once
  13. Yup, looks like I need to recreate the unattended script
  14. Yeah thats what Im doing, and although I did it a few months back Im sure I set it to associate! Which makes it a bit strange, unless WinDVD is overriding it all the time and inserting itself as the default Uninstalling WinDVD and then deploying KLite would probably work, but I cant risk that - would potentially leave machines for a day without any DVD software - helpdesk nigthmare again. Suppose I could try a script that does both at once though...will have a go Edit - oh just re-read - think I just told it to associate with WMP...if thats even an option. Perhaps I just set it to leave it as it is...which could be the cause of the problem
  15. Cant remember how I set it up because it was years ago, but used ASPEmail for it and it has always worked flawlessly, even with our LEA's terrible email server As far as I can remember it just needed the usual details - SMTP server address, username/email address and password
  16. Secondary 11-16 with a large sixth form also Around 1700 students
  17. I think we're quite lucky Roughly £30k for licensing (not exactly negociatable - comes to that with volume of machines) Consumables between 10 and 20k Network budget (servers, cabling, switches, emergencies etc) - varies wildly between £20k and £40k I think Around £80k on replacement machines, but this changes every year, depends how many up for renewel - not often this much Bits and bobs that get added on, new software, new printers etc probably another £10k
  18. I am trying to change from WinDVD to K-Lite Codec Pack for the viewing of DVD's by teachers, as we cannot afford WinDVD (and when there is a free alternative why pay) K-Lite installs fine, no problems there. WinDVD doesnt really remove properly - no easy silent uninstall. Followed some instructions on creating a .iss file to uninstall but it wouldnt work properly. So I have taken the very basic step to just delete all the icons and the program folder via a script. Again, works fine. But what happens is, explorer now doesnt know what to use to play a DVD, so when you double click the drive or right click and play, you get the file association window. Setting it to WMP works fine, but leaving it like this is just going to cause lots of helpdesk calls from people who panic and get confused as soon as they see that window. So I need a script to associate a DVD with WMP. Ive looked at the file association list (by typing assoc at the command line) but they are all just literally file extensions - does explorer simply open the .ifo file and pass it to the associated program? If so, it is currently set to .ifo=WinDVD.playback But I dont know what to change that to so WMP will open it. Most other audio/video extensions have something like - .m4v=KLCP.WMP.m4v I assume KLCP refers to the codec pack, and obviously WMP refers to WMP. If I try and change the .ifo one to .ifo=KLCP.WMP.ifo, the file extension literally becomes the whole part after the equals sign..which is odd Anyone got any ideas where to go from here? I might be totally barking up the wrong tree and there is a much easier way, so if anyone knows it, please share
  19. Wouldnt like to work at your place, sounds like a dictatorship! Here, we're not scared to defend ourselves and speak up when some bullsh1t plan has been proposed. As long as you go about it politely, even the head doesnt have a problem with listening to your POV. Some things still get pushed through of course, but some ridiculous proposals have changed after our input
  20. I didnt realise this Assumed admin could see all accounts folders. And yes, there is an account for each year group. Logged on as each, and the amount of data tallys up. So it was just me being an idiot Thanks for everyones help.
  21. Yeah Awful film!
  22. One of ours I wouldnt, but one I know really well and I know hes capable of doing it Will have to check the wall in question...I think its quite solid
  23. Usually we get our cabling company to fit new cabs, however we are ordering some replacements for one location ourselves, as there is no actual cabling to be done, just a swapping of patch panels and switches from old to new. I'm not going to go about mounting the thing myself, no chance, caretaker should be perfectly capable of doing it safely - but is there anything we need to get in addition for him to do it? Noticed a lot of our current wall mounted cabs are screwed into some wood screwed into the wall, is this the standard way of doing it?
  24. ^ yes you really have to put it into perspective. Especially now with so much more information, better science, better communication, better drugs, we are in the best position we can be in, and we're lucky enough to live in one of the best prepared areas. Its the undeveloped countries that could really, really suffer. I was quite scared when news first came out about this, but I have calmed down a fair bit since. There is a lot of scaremongering but it was valid, especially at the beginning, because unlike bird flu it is actually being transmitted human to human - thats what made it scary to me - bird flu was all about what 'could' happen, this was *actually* happening. Since the death rate seems to have slowed, and in mexico the confirmed deaths from this has actually been revised downwards, it seems to be a lot less serious than first thought. Add to that everyone that has brought it back with them from Mexico has only had mild symptons and have recivered, plus so far (touch wood) it doesnt seem to have spread exponentially, I'm fairly calm about it. Have also read that even if a full scale pandemic occurs, there is a good chance it would not occur till the autumn, giving time for vaccines to be worked on. As others have said, the most worrying thing is our bungling government saying there is nothing to worry about But when I see well informed healthcare professionals and doctors saying positive things it makes me feel a bit more confident. Helps to read as many sources as you can I think, so you can get a balanced picture - otherwise you could end up with either an overly blasé attitude or a PANIC PANIC PANIC one - neither of which are very sensible
  25. You can only defer it once cant you? What happens if you are out of the country when they call you up though?
×
×
  • Create New...