Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Do you live in the same room as your servers?  

75 members have voted

  1. 1. Do you live in the same room as your servers?



Recommended Posts

Posted

I have ticked 'no' as I am sat next to a wall separating me from my servers. I could, however, climb over the wall if I so desired!!! Not sure if this counts! (Much better than my last room though).

 

:)

 

Andy

Posted

Pokey 2 by 2 metre room with pitched roof, no window and crappy flourescent lamp, air-con, 6 servers, 2UPSs, one workstation, 6 monitors, 3 desks, a book cupboard filled with somebody elses books, comms cabinet with two noisy switches, 2 dead computers, 1 spare printer, boxes full of stuff that you just can't throw away... I have 10 dedicated mains outlets and I'm still running 2 4-way adaptors to power all the rubbish in here...

 

For the last term I had to physically climb over servers and CAT5 in order to actually sit down, I have so little space in this hole that I have to move papers off my keyboard in order to type! *grumble grumble*

 

The thing that really gets me is the constant whining noise coming from the UPSs and servers, I feel like give these SCSI drives a seriously good kicking...

 

One of these days I will have to prepare a risk assessment but I have no idea what a safe SPL is, although I'm sure that ringing noises in your ear isn't a good sign. Anybody got any info regarding noise at work? I would have thought if some of us made this a health and safety issue then management would have to take notice and do something about it.

Posted
rubbish air-con, window is always open

Try closing the window - if you have the a/c running with an open window, it is trying to cool down the air outside. a/c works much better in a sealed room.

Posted

http://www.google.com/search?client=opera&rls=en&q=uk+law+health+and+safety+noise+level&sourceid=opera&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

 

Uk H&S google

 

It says 80dB is the money winner - but please check all relevant items.. maybe Unison or similar can help here... only after arranging a proper meeting i would guess (hold the meeting in the server room ;);) )

 

I would say you need to find professional advice before actioning anything. I cannot be held responsible. good luck! :)

 

fooby

Posted
Yes but I am naughty as I use the main server as my workstation. Will change that in the summer holidays when I setup a real workstation for me.
Posted
rubbish air-con, window is always open

Try closing the window - if you have the a/c running with an open window, it is trying to cool down the air outside. a/c works much better in a sealed room.

 

Oh i dont bother with the air-con because its rubbish, an open window way up in the air does a better job. Our a/c isnt technically one, its dehumidifier with a cooling function and needs an outlet pipe for its exhaust which blows hot air. If the room did get hot the pipe would go out of the window. On a hot day (~25C) I can keep the server room at about 22C

Posted

7 Servers, UPS, full size floor cab, 2 desks, 2 people, 2 filing cab, 1 shelving unit, 1 portable air-con all in 1.5x10m room lol.. it's cosy.

 

Been pushing for a new one for ages but as per normal there is no room for us anywhere else... even though i have come up with 3 different options that take into account loosing a classroom for my office.

Posted

Just a backup server and a couple of test servers in our office.

 

Server room is in another building, hardly ever go in there.

 

I've attached a few pic and the layout to make you jealous of all our office space :-)

office.pdf

office_144.jpg

Posted
@steve - I'd be shot if I had that many 'spare' computers or monitors lying around. If I ever have more than 2 in my office I get teachers saying 'Why do you get so many computers' - completely missing the point.
Posted
@steve you have a meeting table! Wow, mines gather round the heap of junk in the middle of the office or nick a classroom. As for PCs I have 6 to go at in my room so plenty to go at and you should always have a spare screen or 10 and pc or two incase the heads blows up or the Bursars.
Posted
What he doesn't say is that the meeting table is a collection of desktop PC cases arranged in a table-like formation - the camera cleverley doesn't show this ;)
Posted

Its a proper table! Also known as the meating table - it hosts many an end of term chippy dinner with the odd cold beer too :-)

 

The CRT's are to got for recycling. All the techies have dual tft's now.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...