Theblacksheep Posted October 14, 2009 Posted October 14, 2009 ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/win/9.x/9.2/enu/ 4
CyberNerd Posted October 14, 2009 Posted October 14, 2009 such a big patch, its a new version.... Adobe patches 28 holes in Reader, Acrobat - ZDNet.co.uk
localzuk Posted October 14, 2009 Posted October 14, 2009 Why do PDF files involve Javascript at all!?
CyberNerd Posted October 14, 2009 Posted October 14, 2009 Why do PDF files involve Javascript at all!? Why does anything done by adobe involve an additional layer of bloatware that slows down the computer and leaves it vulnerable to a bunch of exploits. They make Microsoft look good.
cookie_monster Posted October 14, 2009 Posted October 14, 2009 We changed Adobe Reader for Foxit I'm just sick of the updates being so large and frequent.
Theblacksheep Posted October 14, 2009 Author Posted October 14, 2009 We changed Adobe Reader for Foxit I'm just sick of the updates being so large and frequent. I think we have some software that REQUIRES adobe reader to be installed. Did you modify the foxit msi much??
cookie_monster Posted October 14, 2009 Posted October 14, 2009 I think we have some software that REQUIRES adobe reader to be installed. Did you modify the foxit msi much?? I haven't come across many things that 'require' Adobe Reader, I know the Parcel Farce website requires it so I've just put it on the two PC's in reception that need that. The msi didn't need much tweaking a file called FoxitReader_Preferences.ini is created on first run in C:\Program Files\Foxit Software\Foxit Reader, I just created an msi to deploy that but it could be scripted. The only thing this does is turn off the autoupdate, I set it to the default reader in the user profile and it seems to work fine. We've been running it for over 6 months now.
Jon Posted October 14, 2009 Posted October 14, 2009 Accelerated reader from renaissance learning needs Adobe reader to be installed. We were quite happily using foxit until the school singed up for this. Now we have to use the adobe bloatware.
mattx Posted October 14, 2009 Posted October 14, 2009 We changed Adobe Reader for Foxit I'm just sick of the updates being so large and frequent. Same here. http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/reader/
localzuk Posted October 14, 2009 Posted October 14, 2009 Accelerated reader from renaissance learning needs Adobe reader to be installed. We were quite happily using foxit until the school singed up for this. Now we have to use the adobe bloatware. Do you mean the installed program Accelerated Reader, or their website 'Renaissance place'? If the latter, we use it on our Mac's without Adobe Reader just fine.
tmcd35 Posted October 14, 2009 Posted October 14, 2009 I swapped Adobe Reader out for Foxit during the great rebuild of last summer. The only problem I have with Foxit is that it is Sloooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow to print, expecially in colour! Could end up going back to Adobe bloatware just to regain sensible print time for PDF docs. Google search suggests its been a known issue for 2 or 3 years now.
Jon Posted October 14, 2009 Posted October 14, 2009 Do you mean the installed program Accelerated Reader, or their website 'Renaissance place'? If the latter, we use it on our Mac's without Adobe Reader just fine. I do mean the web based version from renlearn. It will not work on a PC without adobe reader installed. Apparently, if Renaissance Learning get enough complaints about it, they MAY look into getting it to work with Foxit.
cookie_monster Posted October 14, 2009 Posted October 14, 2009 I swapped Adobe Reader out for Foxit during the great rebuild of last summer. The only problem I have with Foxit is that it is Sloooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow to print, expecially in colour! Could end up going back to Adobe bloatware just to regain sensible print time for PDF docs. Google search suggests its been a known issue for 2 or 3 years now. I've not noticed that I'll have a play.
kearton Posted October 14, 2009 Posted October 14, 2009 (edited) Does anyone know if this suffers from the same (known) bug where it doesn't like roaming profiles? EDIT: In the 9.1 Release notes it says "Roaming Profiles on Windows and Networked Home Directory on Macintosh are not supported configurations for 9.0 or 9.1, however we have made several fixes in 9.1. We are looking at the possibility of supporting this for the next major release." I can't find any mention in the 9.2 Release Notes... Edited October 14, 2009 by kearton
Arthur Posted October 14, 2009 Posted October 14, 2009 The next major release of Adobe Reader/Acrobat is v10.0 which should be out at the same time or slightly before CS5 is released (April 2010?). Apart from the security vulnerabilities (28 is way too many!), the latest version of Adobe Reader isn't that bad. v9.1 loads really quickly and renders all PDFs properly (unlike FoxIt).
cookie_monster Posted October 14, 2009 Posted October 14, 2009 v9.1 loads really quickly and renders all PDFs properly (unlike FoxIt). As far as i'm aware Foxit loads quickly and seems to display pdfs fine. I can deal minor niggles if I don't have to put up with the buggy beast that is Adobe Reader.
Arthur Posted October 14, 2009 Posted October 14, 2009 True, but there's the odd PDF I've come across which doesn't display properly in FoxIt (but is fine in Adobe Reader). v9.0 is a definitely a huge improvement over versions 6.0-8.0 which were terrible.
Edu-IT Posted October 14, 2009 Posted October 14, 2009 I've only just pushed out 9.1! (Yes.. I know, slow coach!)
PiqueABoo Posted October 14, 2009 Posted October 14, 2009 v9.0 is a definitely a huge improvement Unless you're running a perfectly reasonably Windows config with roaming profiles and perhaps a touch of Folder Redirection, when it's a complete crock. How can any vendor/developer with a shred of self-respect participate in making an alleged Windows version of a product that doesn't support roaming profiles?!?
mjs_mjs Posted October 14, 2009 Posted October 14, 2009 Unless you're running a perfectly reasonably Windows config with roaming profiles and perhaps a touch of Folder Redirection, when it's a complete crock. How can any vendor/developer with a shred of self-respect participate in making an alleged Windows version of a product that doesn't support roaming profiles?!? we use ver 9.1 with roaming profiles and no issues knwon to date.... what issues do people have???
Michael Posted October 14, 2009 Posted October 14, 2009 The issue isn't with roaming profiles, it's to do with redirecting Application Data. If you don't do this, then you won't have a problem running Adobe Reader 9.x. 1
cookie_monster Posted October 15, 2009 Posted October 15, 2009 The issue isn't with roaming profiles, it's to do with redirecting Application Data. If you don't do this, then you won't have a problem running Adobe Reader 9.x. We use folder redirection for appdata here so it's probebly a good thing that we don't use AR any more, what was the issue did it just insist on creating an appdata folder on C: anyway?
Michael Posted October 15, 2009 Posted October 15, 2009 what was the issue did it just insist on creating an appdata folder on C: anyway? I'm not actually 100% sure as I don't redirect Application Data, but I guess because AR likes Application Data in its default location that it probably throws up various error messages annoying both the users and the poor people managing the network.
kearton Posted October 15, 2009 Posted October 15, 2009 I'm not actually 100% sure as I don't redirect Application Data, but I guess because AR likes Application Data in its default location that it probably throws up various error messages annoying both the users and the poor people managing the network. We use App Data inside our roaming profiles. I think the problem was something to do with UNC paths? But 9.0 and 9.1 wouldn't work for us. And I'm hoping someone has tried 9.2 and can let us know if it suffers from the same problem or if they've fixed it...
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now