Jamie_a Posted October 8, 2009 Posted October 8, 2009 Can anyone recommend a preferbaly free windows web filter for use at home for when my daughters using the computer?
K.C.Leblanc Posted October 8, 2009 Posted October 8, 2009 I've not used it, but I've heard good things about open DNS. Most people reacon it's best to configure your router redirect to it for DNS instead of using the ISPs DNS. You can then set an unfiltered DNS for your own PC. The only issue I can see with it is I expect you can get round it by using IPs instead of DNS names. OpenDNS > Solutions > Home Network The most powerful option would be some sort of Squid/Linux/Dans Guardian mabob. But this will need a dedicated machine and a bit of work to setup.
kmount Posted October 8, 2009 Posted October 8, 2009 I've heard very good things about K9. About K9 Web Protection - K9 Web Protection - Free Internet Filter and Parental Control Software
Michael Posted October 8, 2009 Posted October 8, 2009 I'd say OpenDNS is the best and free. As above, it's best to specify DNS servers on your router, so then all machines which use your network at home use OpenDNS.
CESIL Posted October 8, 2009 Posted October 8, 2009 I have OpenDNS in use at home and set in the router and I don't think my boys have found a way around it...yet
kmount Posted October 8, 2009 Posted October 8, 2009 Agreed that OpenDNS is great but the only thing you'll have to watch for with that is if you're sharing the PC with her it may become a chore switching between DNS servers.
binky Posted October 8, 2009 Posted October 8, 2009 Windows Live Family Safety?? or K9 Web Protection?
triggmiester Posted October 8, 2009 Posted October 8, 2009 +1 for K9 Web protection, it's the dogs :-)
kmount Posted October 8, 2009 Posted October 8, 2009 OpenDNS and actual parenting That's a bit harsh.
benaus Posted October 8, 2009 Posted October 8, 2009 That's a bit harsh. It may have been a bit of an overreaction. But its still a valid point. Being there > software/hardware solutions. Just my opinion.
featured_spectre Posted October 8, 2009 Posted October 8, 2009 set up a server 2003 box with ISA. check the web history that the kids go on, anything you dont like, add it to the filtering, and then watch your kids like a hawk. I do that with my brothers PC. The kids dont like it but they know there is no way around it!
Sylv3r Posted October 8, 2009 Posted October 8, 2009 When parents ask me what they can use during e-safety sessions we run I generally recommend k9.
smadison Posted October 8, 2009 Posted October 8, 2009 K9 filters by category and logs history as well. If a site is unrated you can add it to an allow list if you block unrated sites. I have it set-up with time restrictions for my son so he can not spend all day on youtube. A big + for K9 if you do not want to set-up another system just for filtering.
computer_expert Posted October 8, 2009 Posted October 8, 2009 +1 for K9. i know you said windows only, but smoothwall express 3 and the dansguardian mod is another option but it requires another computer to install it on.
ayoward Posted October 9, 2009 Posted October 9, 2009 I use K9 on all my machines at home as well. It's really good stuff, built by Blue Coat who are one of the leaders in this kind of thing and is free.
BlueDragon Posted October 9, 2009 Posted October 9, 2009 Take a look at Crisp® SchoolSafe? - Home and go to the 'Safe at Home' section. Crisp are the global experts for online child protection and they are offering their home use version of the product Free.
round2it Posted October 9, 2009 Posted October 9, 2009 About K9 Web Protection - K9 Web Protection - Free Internet Filter and Parental Control Software works for me
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now