+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
South West Grid for Learning (SWGfL) Thread, VoIP Systems... in Regional Broadband Consortiums (RBC); I was wondering if anyone has used/got a VoIP system in their school..? I'm new to my current school and ...
    Thank Post

Cool VoIP Systems...

I was wondering if anyone has used/got a VoIP system in their school..?
    I'm new to my current school and I've had all the ideas people have had stored up dumped on me in the last few days!!

I helped set up the handsets on a "private sector" job a good number of years back, but I have no idea what will be involved in getting my school set up...

Thank Post
    I obviously haven't done it myself but a school of mine have a Cisco VOIP system I helped them quote and install. I'd recommend a conf call with Cisco or whoever you want, to talk through the solution which I can arrange for you.

It depends on what kind of budget you're working to but don't rule out Cisco because you might think it's expensive, public sector can get some really attractive discounts!

Hope this helps

Luke

Thank Post
    Look at PBX in a Flash (free software for the server) i have a lot of systems running using it! Pm me if you want a chat about it - im not going to sell you anything either - free no obligation chat.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 1,036 Posts
    I'm currently comparing an Avaya Solution, Splicecom, Panasonic and a few others.

For us an IP system makes much more sense then a analogue system simply becuase we can tie it in with all the other services we can provide.

Thank Post
    We use a mixture of Avaya systems, got another one been installed in a few weeks in a new build of ours, cannot fault it.

Thank Post
    We use Samsung Officeserv, This is an hybrid system that allows us to use our analogue, digital and VOIP handsets. All the older handsets remained in place and the VOIP handsets get installed in departments whenever new ones are required.

Thank Post
    Worth checking out 3CX - very simple and cost effective solution without the high costs that some of the other providers have!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Currently doing the same, looking to replace our phone system with a new IP based system with at least 120 phones. Had a number of companies into talk through stuff and had a couple of demos. Like the ShoreTel stuff but it's out of our price range and was very impressed with the SpliceCom kit. Should be making a decision next week, but my head hurts talking to different suppliers. Prices have all come in at around the same region.

Pete

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by jamesreedersmith View Post
    Look at PBX in a Flash (free software for the server) i have a lot of systems running using it! Pm me if you want a chat about it - im not going to sell you anything either - free no obligation chat.
    Second this, very good - if i remember correctly they even have a ready to go VM also lots of mods and cheap support (compared to the big names).

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,550 Times in 1,979 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I set up an Asterisk + FreePBX system at my last place, and its still going strong. Worth taking a look at it, but is isn't the easiest system to set up.

Thank Post
    As you are a school Microsoft Lync 2010 with Enterprise voice is dirt cheap - the only sting is the cost of the handsets but if your staff can be convinced to use USB ones with no dial pad (just use the software client) then things can turn out quite nicely.

Were currently in the process of putting together our own proposal for Lync Enterprise Voice after deploying presense/IM and are planning on making a saving within year 2.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesfed View Post
    As you are a school Microsoft Lync 2010 with Enterprise voice is dirt cheap - the only sting is the cost of the handsets but if your staff can be convinced to use USB ones with no dial pad (just use the software client) then things can turn out quite nicely.

Were currently in the process of putting together our own proposal for Lync Enterprise Voice after deploying presense/IM and are planning on making a saving within year 2.
    Have seem some demos of Lync and was impressed, but at the end of the day; people want a phone, they like to see physical phones and use a phone like they have done all their life. You should see the looks I get when I try to introduce to concept of a Soft Phone!

Pete

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    @Ric_ introduced Lync at his last place and it looked very swish and had physical phones, he had some Snom handsets (think they were Snom) and them some very posh Polycom ones and it worked well

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,550 Times in 1,979 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    @Ric_ introduced Lync at his last place and it looked very swish and had physical phones, he had some Snom handsets (think they were Snom) and them some very posh Polycom ones and it worked well
    The handsets that work with Lync are expensive from what I can see. I can get a SIP handset for £33 or £50 for a better quality one. The cheapest Lync ones I can find are £140.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    The handsets that work with Lync are expensive from what I can see. I can get a SIP handset for £33 or £50 for a better quality one. The cheapest Lync ones I can find are £140.
    Yep thats where the sting is - all the same the intergration between the phone and the PC is amazing. USB (no dial pad) can be picked up for about £90 a go and are still very high qulity. At the moment we are looking at a bit of a hybryd with all desk tied staff getting a USB phone and then IP phones in 'common areas'.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast