-
Posts
1,996 -
Joined
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by FragglePete
-
I'm fully on prem with 97 APs running on a Hyper-V VM. No issues reported from end users, the only thing I've noticed is that sometimes the management interface does seem to take a while to load but once up has no issues. I'm sort of in a holding pattern to see what happens - as to support the vouchers better I need to get a cert installed, but not sure best way of doing that just yet and how to automate them renewing on this box. If it ends up being supported, then I'll move it all back to Cloud. Pete
-
Off-Site Tape Vaulting / Cloud Backups
FragglePete replied to EBrooke's topic in How do you do....it?
Still backup to LTO-8 here, but looking at cloud in the near future as licenses for Veeam are up for renewal and the backup server is getting old. Replacing all the hardware would be similar costs to get a cloud backup solution in place in the first year at least. Essentially I've got NAS units in place as well so I'm doing D2D2D2T - but the Office365 backup is my biggest concern presently which I want to get something a little bit more robust in place. Pete -
Oh, well, that's just bloody marvellous then isn't it?
-
I never had to reboot any AP. Just a patient waiting game when you delete it from the cloud, add the AP on prem and approve. Wait, wait and then assign the Profile and Sync. I've done all ours, so running on prem but of course now have issues with voucher based guest access because of no certificate. It works, but not pretty. The recommedation from Redway is setup a guest WLAN using PSK for the time being. Apart from that, all working ok with no issues. I'm watching carefully, if they release a non-anchored version with prepertual X licensing then I'll migrate it onto that box in the future. If however a buyer is found, then I'll migrate it back depending on their roadmap. Either way, plans will have to be made in the future to replace if need be. Pete
-
Well, looks like it was updated again last night: https://community.cambiumnetworks.com/t/guidance-for-cnmaestro-enterprise-customers-updated-24-sep-2026/108849 And of note: Get busy people! As if we're not already! Pete
-
Adobe Creative Cloud causing lock ups
FragglePete replied to FragglePete's topic in Educational Software
Could well be yes? Is there a known issue? Pete -
Adobe Creative Cloud causing lock ups
FragglePete replied to FragglePete's topic in Educational Software
No, did various testing of my image and deploying the package in July. All worked no issues. I'm sure others would have had similar issues though. Pete -
Adobe Creative Cloud causing lock ups
FragglePete replied to FragglePete's topic in Educational Software
It's quite a new install for us, introduced this Summer ready for September. Pete -
Adobe Creative Cloud causing lock ups
FragglePete replied to FragglePete's topic in Educational Software
Again, thanks. Only thing redirected these days is My Docs, My Pictures, etc. User Profile is on the 😄 drive (C:\users\<username>\etc....) Don't believe it's expected behaviour as it locks the whole PC and makes it unuseable for about 60 seconds - if I do it remotely via RDP it kicks me off the session when the freeze occurs. The Shared Device licensing does require them to sign in, as you supposdly get all the Creative Cloud benefits of storing stuff with them, etc but not interested in that. I've got a post going on their community forums but not yielding much help at the moment. Don't want to go nuclear and do a re-image with a newer version of the creative cloud package but that's my next step. Pete -
Adobe Creative Cloud causing lock ups
FragglePete replied to FragglePete's topic in Educational Software
Thanks. that's helped that issue stopping that - which makes the machine useable at least. Problem still persists with the Sign In box appearing when starting any Creative Cloud app. Have removed Impero and also remove Sophos to see if it was any of these, but alas it still persists. Pete -
A problem has developed on all PCs that we have Creative Cloud installed on (device based licenses). Essentially, the PC freezes for about 30 secs and then the screen goes blank and then seems to sort itself out. Initially was happening when users first logged in, and I narrowed it down to the Creative Cloud App that was starting automatically at logon. I've disabled that initially (as an admin locally, still trying to sort out a reg hack for this) so now that doesn't start, but when a user tries to start Photoshop they are directed to the licensing login page and then the freeze will happen again. When the PC comes back it all seems useable. Any thoughts? This and other stuff going at the moment is the last thing I need right now. Pete
-
I'm still pushing ahead with my migration - I'm 44 devices in out of my 97 moved over. Will be interesting to see what happens - if they honour cnMaestro Essentials in the cloud then I may move things back. Pete
-
True, true. My Guest Portal is now not working, but I believe that's down to the Guest VLAN that these devices get associated too is being blocked by the ACL on my Core Switch. Won't be pretty either once I've tweaked that as the Guest Portal has no certificate presently. Oh the joys. Pete
-
Oof! £119 per month it would be for us! Somebody cashing in obviously. Pete
-
My next step was to do the DHCP thang, but thought if what I'd done so far didn't work try the next step. Will add those options anyway. Pete
-
Finally got around to getting my first AP across. In between the unusually busy start of term I've been going over and over the config of the On Prem box and comparing like for like with our cloud instance. Finally plucked up the courage and pushed one over. I used the guidance dated 18th Sept just did the following, and after adding the User Defined Overides in the Profiles that points it to the IP Address of the local server.... Deleted AP Device from the APs list on Cloud (making a note of the serial number) Waited patiently for it to appear in the Onboard list....... Paniced slightly when it didnt Clicked Claim Device, Selected the Device Type and entered the serial number Click Claimed and then it did appear in the Onboard List Clicked the Approve All button then after a minute or two it then became fully adopted. Had to go in an apply the Wi-Fi Profile and Location to it which then gave a sync error Forced the configuration down again and now it's fully sync'd Have to now test it to see if it all works (but does seem to be working ok), but no hardware reset required and using CLI/GUI to do so (although I did make a point of changing the admin password and ssh key in the profiles before hand to ensure I know what these where). I have been running our APs, made up of XV2-21X, XV2-2 and XE3-4 on 7.2-r1 for the last few days and everything seems happy. I've got the earlier versions uploaded to the software library and will downgrade if need be. Echos my thoughts on how good this kit and the software is/was - quite painless so far. Only 96 more to go.... ! Pete
-
Looks like some official guidance has come out, but if your using Cambium if you got to get this done before 1st Oct. https://community.cambiumnetworks.com/t/guidance-for-cnmaestro-enterprise-customers-17-sep-2026/108849 Pete
-
I have my on prem cnMaestro up and running in it's initial state.... Things that I noted on mysetup so far. Had to convert to Hyper-V .VMDX files using Starwind V2V. - On start up of the VM on the Hyper-V console after a few seconds of a blinking cursor I just get a blank screen... No setup, nothing. It was however claiming an IP address from DHCP and using a web browser I could connect to the WebUI. Need to see if I can SSH to the box or something if need be? I initially got 'Cookies Missing' when entering my Cambium ID and Onboard Key, but I used the link to login in the Anchor account again, changed the onboard key to something else, saved and tried again. After a short while it seemed to sort itself out and let me do the initial password setup, name, etc. It looks slightly different from the version we have in the Cloud. I know On Prem is 6.0.0., and cloud is 6.2.0 - icons are slightly different. But then noticed in the Administration > Settings > General - the account view defaults to 'Access and Backhau'l whereas it should just be on 'Enterprise'. Set that, and all looks the same. You need to import the WLANs first and then followed by the AP Groups in the 'Shared Settings > Wi-Fi Profiles' - but these seemed to have come across ok I've not 'adopted' any APs just yet, that's the next step but I need to RTFM before I jump in too much as this stage. Just comparing side by side now before I move on to the next step, but that won't be until early next week for me now. Pete
-
From what I can see, the stuff you can and I've download so far is > Wi-Fi Profiles > AP Groups > Download any of the Profiles here ( I have Default Indoor Profile and Default Outdoor Profile) and Wi-Fi Profiles > WLANs > Download each of the WLANs config from this tab. These are JSON files that seem to contain all the config for each SSID your transmitting, including for our RADIUS Auth server info, including Secret Key. I'm going to work through your bits you've documented myself (thank you @synaesthesia) over the next few days (workload this September though seems through the roof compared to most years). However, the bit about creating a new account for the Anchor is all fine and dandy at the moment, but will this still be available after 1st October ? And, is the Anchor account only needed on the initial setup of the On Prem server or will this try and call home on a regular basis? Pete
-
That's something I'm trying to understand right now. The configuration obviously goes down from the controller to the APs themselves, so for PSK it'll work. I'm wondering what will happen in the case of WPA3 Radius? Is it the controller doing the authenticating with our on-side NPS Server or are the APs with the configuration doing to direct talking to the NPS server and authenticating users? So, if the controller does go pop over night, will RADIUS authentication still work? Pete
-
So, do we start panicking yet ? Downloading what I can, but the only thing I can export from cnMaestro is the Wi-Fi Profiles Config. Seems to be no way for an end user to 'backup' their cnMaestro Cloud set up. Pete
-
Interesting article, and it makes some good points on the Cambium Stuff. It's good hardware. It works, and it works really well. Since having it installed over three years ago, we have had zero problems with it. No issues. No one has complained about Wi-Fi performace or any dead spots around our site, the only issues we've had has been down to the NPS server onsite with RADIUS authentication after a dubious Windows Security Update. Upgrading the firmware on the APs has always worked with no fuss. Just updated all 94 APs we have to their latest firmware over night, and I've come in this morning with all APs up and running. Interestingly, I'm getting a new notice in cnMaestro about an update to 6.3.0 happening on Wednesday. Automated? Or is someone still plugging away at it. Hope it gets rescued in some form or other. Pete
-
Hmmmm..... Not happy. I've shouted about how great Cambium is/was for years - let's hope something gets sorted. From what I can gather, to convert from Cloud to On Prem, you need to get your database exported by Cambium Support to then import into your On Prem device. What are the chances of support actually still there at the moment? I'm still looking. Also, the download for OnPrem is for 6.0.0, whereas the cloud version is 6.2.0. Ours was installed during the Summer of 2023 - disappointing if we have to find something else - Governors are going to hate me. Pete
-
Guilty as charged! Fell off ladder cutting one rouge branch off a hedge at home - only a few rungs up. Snapped Achilles Tendon on landing resulting in operation to repair and twelve weeks on crutches..... then four years later an infection from the internal stiches results in what was described as 'limb reconstruction' by the plastic surgeon, 15 nights in hospital! Still plays up from time to time some tens years on. Get a tower; do it properly. Pete
-
Should be a alluminium tower and you'll also need to get your PASMA certification that certifies you to build and climb it. Without that, your breaking all sorts of Health & Safety Regulations. PASMA should only be day out in a classroom with the afternoon actually building the tower, most builders merchants run the courses and has be renewed every five years I believe. Pete
