-
Posts
1,433 -
Joined
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by ICTNUT
-
thanks geoff, next question would how to do a "factory reset" as I have one unit that cannont be accessed at all.
-
Hi guys, Does anyone use these HP ThinClients they are really good but are a pain to configure. I want to Configure them so that when the unit starts it comes up with the connect screen, user presses connect and then logs into the server <-- I can do this bit, what I am having trouble with is stopping anyone from making changes to the config as by default the user used to load the connect screen is an admin. Also is there a way to push setting out to these so that if a change is made it can just be pushed out on the next reboot or something. I currently have 10 of these and I am looking at getting another 20 but if the admin overhead is going to be high I may need to re-think this idea.
-
@Geoff: I am slowly moving things over to *nix as much as I can and a central print server would do the trick great, I will surely look into this. Evryone else many thanks for your pointers.
-
Hi Guys, I am looking for a way to provide students and staff the ability to "print" PDF documents. I thought possibly having something installed on the print server (Server 2003 R2) and sharing this out via our printer script. Does anyone do anything like this???
-
from version 0.9.7 if an email is sent via email the following will happen: The MyLittleHelpdesk Gateway server "LiveAlert" will poll an email account to see if any neww emails have come in. If an email is there 2 checks are made 1 - Is there an exisiting valid support request ref in the subject line, if there is simply update that request in the normal way and issue any required email updates. 2 - If a support ref does not exist then a check on the sender email address against the user list is done, if the email exisits a new support request is added for that user and emails are sent out or the email is placed in a holding area and the helpdesk admin(s) is/are notified. As it stands for full automation the users will need to exisit in the helpdesk if they wish tojust send an email in. With reagrds to AD intergration it is a good chance that this will be in the next release also but there are still a few kinks to iron out.
-
@ashok: I am not knocking ISA 2006 at all and have it working like a dream including link translation, the reason i am looking for another firewall is that ISA 2006 has a flaw in that you can no longer do SSL Tunneling i.e open as SSL tunnel on port 443 and then try to open a second connection via that tunnel to say port 3389 (RDP). This works without fail on ISA 2000 as I have this working on at least 7 pther sites, I don't know about ISA 2004 I have a Sonicwall SSL-VPN 2000 box sat behind ISA 2006, you can get the portal up no problem, you can login (verified against LDAP) no problem, try to open a link to the Terminal Server (Win Serv 2003) and bang you get kicked out with: "Because of a protocol error, this session will be disconnected. Please try connecting to the remote computer again." In the ISA 2006 firewall log you simply get: SSL Tunnel Failed Connection Attempt Port 3389 This is why I am looking at other firewalls, now I have a Sonicwall pro 3060 on eval at the moment and the SSL-VPN unit works fine but now I have lost link translation that ISA 2006 does so well. If I am honest I would like to stay with ISA but after months of searching forums, posting to MS newsgroups, and reading numerous ISa books cover to cover I am about ready to accept defeat and look at non MS firewalls instead.
-
Hey lonewolf, Scenario is like this: User opens IE at home and goes to http://www.john-kyrle.hereford.sch.uk this request hits our firewall and is then pushed over to our internal server and is the requested pages are served back to the user who requested the page at home. The above works fine the problem is: The server hosting the website is internal and has an internal DNS name as does the website (http://www.jkhs-pd.local) when the server pushes the pages back to the person at home all the links are broken as they are served up using the internal dns name http://www.jkhs-pd.local/. ISA has the ability to change all the links from http://www.jkhs-pd.local to http://www.john-kyrle.hereford.sch.uk and then back to http://www.jkhs-pd.local when the request comes back in again. Does this make more sense to you??
-
Hello all, I am in the process of replacing our ISA firewall for a new shiny Sonicwall Pro 3060. I have spoken to them about the issue below but womdered if it is smoething that Apache2 itself could do. On the ISA firewall you have a thing called link translation where if you access a website (http://www.external.co.uk) ISA would translate all the link in the page to (http://www.internal.local) is this something that Apache could do?? If so how would i set it up?? If I have not made it clear what I am after please let me know. Many thanks
-
Plexer at which step during the upgrade process are you getting this error??
-
have you entered all the required details in db_connect.asp that can be found in the incs folder. This file is used by the helpdesk to connect to the database and it would appear either the details are missing or have been incorrectly added.
-
Just a quick one, what do they following lines do: /var/backups/link2backupserver just trying to work out what link2backupserver is?
-
Thanks very much kmount much apreciated
-
@mant01: The error indicates that either the username or the password you have supplied are incorrect for the database your are trying to connect to. the db_connect file has nothing to do with the installer as this is used once the database has been setup and you are ready to run your helpdesk. Yes it would be the same details but the 2 are not linked. You need tomake sure on step 2 that you have supplied the correct details in order to connect to the database if they are wrong a failure will occur and the databse willnot be created. Let me know if you require any further help on this. @pmassingham: what was the problems you were having? which version were you trying to install?
-
Ahh cool that makes sense. What about running as a scheduled script each night, what would be the best way of doing this?? You will have to forgive me on this as I am no *nix guru but need to have some sort of backup plan in place and seeing as this is such a key server, well I guess you understand.
-
@kmount: If i am reading your script right: 1 - Make the backup directory 2 - Change into the directory 3 - Copy /usr/var/www/*.* while maintaining structure 4 - Copy /usr/var/moodledata/*.* while maintaining structure 5 - Make the MySQL_Backup folder 6 - Dump the sql databases into the above folder (question to follow) 7 - Mount to a file share with relevant permissions on a windows box 8 - Copy the full backup folder over. Am i far off?? Question regarding step 6, is this a single file dump or are they seperate for each database (i have 7 in total) How would you schedule this to run each night??
-
Hi all, not sure if this should be here or in the scripts section but here goes. I have to backup a linux server each night and would like to acheive the following: A full copy backup of the /usr/var/www/*.* folder A full copy backup of each mysql database on the server A full copy backup of the /usr/var/moodledata folder The contents of the above should be copied into /var/backups/[date]/ with the file structure of each remaining intact and an additional folder being created for the MySQL_DataBackup. Once the above has completed I need it to be FTP'd of to another server which will then be burned to DVD hopefully. Any pointers on where to start or if anyone has anything like this would be great.
-
@pmassingham: Have you managed to get this running yet? If not do you have any error messages I could look at as there have been no reported problem with SQL 2005
-
My Little Helpdesk help needed
ICTNUT replied to Grommit's topic in Network and Classroom Management
Lithium is correct is what he has stated. Do you already have an SQL server running at your school?? if you do can you not create a new database on there?? If you do decide to go the MS SQL Express route I would also use mixed mode authentication as Windows only authentication can be difficult to setup. This link cover step by step installing of MS SQL Express: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143722.aspx This link covers step by step installing of MySQL: http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/windows-installation.html To install MyLittleHelpdesk follow these steps: 1 - Create an empty MySQL or MSSQL database with the relevant user access. 2 - Unzip and upload the MLH folder to the root of your website. 3 - Edit the details found in the incs\db_connect.asp file with the details of you databse server and user. 4 - Point your browser at http://{your_url}/MLH/Install/ and follow the install wizard. 5 - Your helpdesk is now ready to use. Let me know if you need anything else -
@SYNACK: Yes I agree with your comment that when it goes wrong the money is there....! When I add the new Server do I need to ensure it has the same name or will it treat it like a new server anyway?? @Butuz: 3 x 146Gb RAID 5 split into 4 partitions ( 1@ 80Gb and 3 @ 65Gb), 1 x hot spare but will be adding more spares in April some time (new budget )
-
Just to point out that this was a server put in place before I got here, yes i did know about the RAID 0 (and the problems it can cause) but with no spare servers (nor the money to buy them) left me with no option but to leave it as it is. Anyhow new HP Quad Core Zeon with 4GB Mem and 4 x 146Gb 15K drives has turned up and is now in the process of having Server 2003 R2 installed on it. Just need to work out how to remove all the old exchange stuff from AD first.
-
@Uraken: The chached email is held in thier profile so form experience I would say no, however none of the Sneior Management have roaming profiles so this is not a problem for me. @srochford: Thanks for the link I am looking at it now.
-
Hello all, I came into work yesterday to find that the Exchange 2003 server had moved onto a better place. This does however mean that I now need to put in a new exchange server, here is the scenario: Exchange data is non reoverable from the drives ( only 2 were in this server and they were RAID 0 Stripped) as they were to badly damaged. Turns out that Exchange backups were being done to the exchange server and then moved off one a week (yeah I know) but also the exchange backups are faulty so not able to recover from those either. I am able to recover the the senior management mailboxes as they have local cached copies on thier PC's for which I have a tool to export so not all bad. QUESTIONS: What do I need to do with AD in order to prepare it for this new server? AD will still think mailboxes are linked to users, how are these removed so new ones can be created on the new exchange server? Any other gotchas that I need to look out for? I am by no means an exchange expert so any pointers would be great. I have a new server coming in today and will be building it up with server 2003 R2 in preperation for exchange tomorrow.
-
The solution to this is to set cahced logons to zero in your student GPO and there is also a setting to logoff users if the profile is unavailble or cannot load. I have posted a full solution to this somewhere on the forum, i'll find it and post a link up here for you.
-
@ Kyle: Taks a look at http://www.edugeek.net/forums/showthread.php?t=14088 as I have covered this in depth for another member.
-
OK guys and gals it's here 0.9.6b is officially out and released. However in order for you guys to get it for free you will need to fill out this form -> here <- so as to ensure that only those in education do actually get it for free. Once you have applied an email will be sent to you with a unique download link to get the software. On another note some of you mayhave noticed that the OP Software site is now redirecting to the mylittlehelpdesk site, this has been done to try and consolidate web hosting costs especially bandwidth, the forums are still in place -> here <- and those of you that have registered already will not need to do so again. PLEASE NOTE: To upgrade you must be on version 0.9.4b and you must take a complete baqckup of the site and database prior to upgrading. This is a major upgrade and as such most of the files have been changed in one way or another so you are advise to replace all files you have in your support site / folder. Any problems you all now what to do
