Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

ICTNUT

Edu Supporters
  • Posts

    1,433
  • Joined

Everything posted by ICTNUT

  1. ICTNUT

    Cloning of servers

    @Ric_: I'll get it sorted later today ;-)
  2. I roll out an network based image with all required additional software rolled out at ppoint of install, all silent and all non user interactable. It does require a boot from floppy but then that's becouse our NIC's are not PXE compliant. Once the base image is installed we use group policy to either apply updates to exisiting software or install from scratch. I have this all documented somewhere if anyone needs it.
  3. I would agree try to make sure that you are involved in all furture ICT related meetings so you have an idea of what is around the corner. Although this is easier said than done, it also depends on who or whom you report to. in my case the head but I believe this is not true of all. PS Congrats Kingswood, make the best of it mate ;-)
  4. ICTNUT

    Cloning of servers

    I have just setup a network unattended setup for XP SP2 with Office 2003 SP1, Visio 2003, Adobe 7, Animods, Kudos, and about 6 other install all silent. This was to replace the £4000 spent on ghost - Ughhh ! Anyhow I could make available the basics and changing the OS would be a snip ! Let me know what you think PS: I am currently imaging around 40 machines a time this way taking on average about 30-40 mins per pc.
  5. @Geoff: We have Sharepoint fully rolled out here so placement of the docs is not a problem it just ensuring it is enforced and legal. @Dos_Box: as of this afternoon the logon message is in place ;-) Cheers all
  6. We opted to pay for the full software, but my advise would to use the limited freeware for a while and see if it does what you need and then possibly opt for the full product.
  7. @Andy: We did start with the freeware versions (30 day trial) but you can up it to 60 days if you need to. We were very impressed with the way they worked and the low number of false positives it returned. It will take a while for you to configure (setup only takes 5 mins) but once it's up and running you pretty much don't know it's there, untill it lets you know it is ;-)
  8. They already have and it's being "Selectively" tested at the moment but there will be a price tag on it on a per desktop basis. see here -- > http://www.adwarereport.com/mt/archives/000091.html But also read this --> http://www.adwarereport.com/mt/archives/000113.html Enterprise version Screenshot here --> http://www.winsupersite.com/images/reviews/ms_antispyware_preview_01.jpg
  9. We have 5 servers and about to get 4 more very soon, good thing we have air con is ours, If the weather carrys on like this I think i'll start charging for access to the server room ;-)
  10. Hi Geoff, As a Network Admin I have a duty to protect the students from various things that could fly in by email, SPAM, PORN, Etc but no-one yet has mentioned the bullying by email side of things. I does go on and we know this, how are we meant to do our jobs if, and I am not pointing at you Geoff, people keep sticking legislation in the way. I use a whole suite of products from GFI and thier Mail monitoring and security addins for exchange are second to none. These are automated monitoring of emails and no one actually looks at the emails unless one is flagged, and then only myself and one other has access. Does the automated monitoring of emails still require consent??
  11. Hi all, I think it would be easy to implement for staff, but its the students that are the harder area to govern. If you are going to bring in policy then I guess the easiest way would be to place it into the "handbook" for students. For new ones this is fine but for already established students what then issue a new handbook, what about the costs involved I hear them all cry. Also not forgetting the parents....... This is going to be a minefield to get around.
×
×
  • Create New...