Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

mthomas08

Members
  • Posts

    3,240
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by mthomas08

  1. Sorry to bump this one up but still having this issue. We went round the school, re-imaged a lot of the machines with FOG and again after a few months bam - they start off again. No server side issues/problems and things work well after a PC has been rebuilt for a few months but then they sit at the welcome logon screen. We know that if we use a fresh Windows 7 CD to build the machines they will work fine but imaging with FOG causes these problems. We used to use WDS and again the problems didnt exist. Seems to be something to do with W2008R2/Windows 7 Roaming profile and FOG.
  2. We had an issue with our netlogon folders not syncronising to other servers. Have you got multiple DCs? If so load up one of them and check your GP settings - you can choose server some where. Just trying to remember where - I did this and found that one server was not replicating GP settings. I changed our replication to what microsoft suggested and it fixed a lot of problems.
  3. Plastic/Oil weird type of thing. Sounds like if there is oil on Mars thats it - Lets start a War on Mars! Time to get the troops in to get that oil quick, I wonder if that actually does start the American space race again this time to Mars.
  4. I have to say this, as much as I do respect Alonso he does seem to very quick to push things to win - regardless. I also thougt Massa's defending was very dangerous. It was as if Massa had nothing to lose and reminded me of last years Massa vs Lewis. Closing the door regardless who was there and everyone on that track must of thought he has nothing to lose so watch out.
  5. Hi all Hoping im not breaking any rules with this - I dont get any money for advertising this! My school will be hosting a frog event, great way for you to see it in action (or those who have it, come pinch our ideas). Frog Learning Platform | The UKs most advanced Learning Platform If you wish to attend just visit the link and sign up, we are based in Kent. Main reason I am putting this here is because I have had a lot of questions regards to frog - even problem fixing. We are currently in our last phase of testing Secure Gateway Enjoy
  6. I wish there wasa forum like this place on Frog, but when it comes to the community some on site techs have it blocked by their LEA! Crazy I know. The community area although a great idea really does need every school checking on it often, I have a few things I am currently working on. Finalized testing on Secure Gateway, setup Year 9 options and the ability to email groups that are in frog with an exchange system. As you mentioned though it does need some one to constantly check it but posting like a wall isnt as good as a forum - although they have added the function for that its not the first thing that loads up.
  7. We do give teaches and now quite a lot of TA's laptops.... Not far off from giving the cleaners laptops to be frank. Seem to be dishing them out like anything at the moment.....
  8. We have a help centre but unfortunately because people still walk in that door and ring up every 5 minutes - like this morning technician turns up late (as usual) and while he walks in the door I have already dealt with a few people and still had 2 people in the office - while more walk in the door. I simply can not write down everything that I have done when I am doing my best to support people. We do copy/put jobs in to the help centre though for staff who couldnt be bothered Still waiting for a decent wiki system that we can use here on Frog to record everything - did have one once but that server died.. Have a database though that records a lot of data.
  9. 1.S 2.1600 3.Approx dimensions of your server room 4.Yes, Technician+desk and storage - is also first room before our office. 5.Yes was previously 1 small office + storage - wall setup for previous Head of ICT (when he was head of IT and ICT) 6.2 7.Dont know 8.Dont know 9.2X UPS, 10X Servers, 2X Switches Sorry couldnt tell you the rest. All I know is a seperate line was put in for power this year (power cuts/trips occuring everywhere) and we do have air con finally working fully in the room.
  10. Its for bringing great talented people through the X Factor... like frankie cocozza...... Mr walking STD.
  11. Went to the Frog Conference and must say we got a quick peak - instantly impressed which is rare. Designed to be much cleaner and easier to use on creation of websites (also designed for mobile devices like the iPad). They have also setup a bunch of templates for users. I keep hearing about the price drops - probably because FROGOS wont have all the additions that Frog3 has. Once FrogOS comes out they have admitted that the rest of stuff to work with it will come later. I also like the drive access, no longer needing to upload files just drag and drop. They have 20 schools signed up for the Beta right now and I believe its early next year for the release. Whats annoying though is I could have signed up but I dont have the time they requested
  12. I would say yes, the SP is much better then MW3 and actually feels different at times. They have added all sorts of ideas on giving it a different COD feeling and I do enjoy taking control of more than just people. Have yet to play multiplayer but thats usually easier to win me over. SP is what I prefer to get a game for. Although its the same engine they certainly have done work on it to improve the way it looks and if they didnt admit it was the same engine most people wouldnt care. In the end you can still run it on half decent PCs. What is interesting though: After the huge fuss of MW3 being over rated or just episode 2 from MW2, Black Ops is raking in the money.... last report half a $billion in 24 hours....
  13. As the old saying goes, if its not broken dont fix it. "Costly digital technology that has the power to transform education often sits in boxes because teachers do not know how best to use it, a study claims" Sadly for us this half true, technology here does not sit in a box unused, instead its often abused. I am always happy and willing to try new things even though I will voice my opinion. We went through a time when staff wanted students to use laptops, they didnt have a clue how much work or cost involved. They also wouldnt believe how badly abused they would get. A fter spending a lot of money buying about 50 laptops - we ended up getting only 7 back working and the rest wrecked. Only 1 student got pulled out for a damaged screen yet every other kid got away with it. Like it or not they are kids, they struggle to look after their own stuff so why should they look after a piece of kit from the school? Its like iPads, you dont need an iPad to see what the world is using. Most of the kids can figure it all out after 5 minutes. If a kid can get a new mobile every 6 months and use that right away I am sure they will manage in life. Gadgets are becoming so easy to use which is why staff push for them on site because they think getting kids to logon to an iPad and get their drives/programs and everything will be instant. Cost, you also have to consider cost - like it or not schools have had budget cuts and are fighting for survival and enrolement. Is it worth spending 1000's of pounds for some devices just to access the internet? There is a difference between preparing them for work life outside of School and Personal life. Most companies/business's and even educational sectors will not provide iPads let alone laptops, instead they will have systems in place where you get what your given and only what you need not what you want. We here know that portable devices will be purchased again, we will voice our professional opinion - this includes work load/cost and what you will get not what you think you will get. Will they accept that no, will they listen no, who will they blame when we turn out to be right - us. The last person to walk in that door and say they wanted an iPad for work, we pointed them to something cheaper and less prettier and does the same thing - they didnt want to know. Some staff just simply do not understand the concept of Domains compared to Home Networks - that is one of the biggest problems. IT people are usually accused of not "bending" to something different yet the staff who want the iPads are not willing to look anywhere else for the same product because it is less pretty.
  14. They should come here Problem is some schools suffer a lack of IT Support staff, some schools suffer a lack of technicians who are willing to actually work and not sit on the internet all day. There are those schools who have teachers who are clueless in IT but are dictating what to have and what not to have. You also need a driving force behind management and several staff.
  15. Can also add those benefit cheats or those who actually refuse to work because they are lazy!!
  16. Think its to do with bridging the gap to basic device for internet and notes to actually a good keyboard to produce mass of amount of documents. I am not a fan of the touch screen keyboard, I hate it but give me a keyboard and I can type fast and not look at the keyboard to do it. I totally struggle on touchscreen keyboards, too slippery!# Am a fan of the idea, I like USB keyboards/Mice but the concept of an easy keyboard to clip on - I like.
  17. We are simply waiting. At the moment one of the choices we have would be iPADs but we know what stilll will want from them - a lot of hard work and cost will be involved. If we miss Windows 8 like we did Vista then windows 9 will be the perfect thing to upgrade to. We rarely update quickly but we dont sit behind the times either, although there are other options - frankly we dont like those other options including the free ones.
  18. Well we could see more of this? Lucas did say he wanted musical numbers in his films... I actually find this quality, not for star wars though.
  19. I did see this and thought oh well Disney buy star wars - means we get to see more toons/shows etc so okay. Then I saw they were going to do movies and thought- Cinema release only please! At the end of the day Disney can do a great job (only have to see their previous great movies) but they can do a lucas and ruin a trilogy (only have to again see Pirates sequels)... Anyway - we get more star wars for sure so why not, Jury is out and cant wait!
  20. I actually enjoyed it, thought it could have done with a bit more action and less... "chasing" scenes. The start and ending was great, I agree the 4 star rating. I thought it was better than the last film because that felt too much like the borne trilogy. Casino Royale is still my favourite though out of the craig films.
  21. Its expensive but if you do your homework you do get good value for money. In the end it depends what you want out of it, if you want a basic VLE even the frog boss will turn around and say go get moodle. We 1800 ish students and an additional Skills Centre which will be using it at some point. The price last I checked it was well over a year now (I hear prices are dropping - not official though) 20K. Thing to remember about the price though it doesnt go up if you have more users or content. That was for secondary school pricing though. There is an annual fee though but that does come with technical support and future updates, which I cant complain about because their updates have been pretty good. The next version of FrogOS looks very impressive. If you do really consider Frog I would always suggest doing the homework on it to make sure its the best thing for you. For us we wasnt sure even when purchasing it, even during the training there was question marks after using it fully for 2 months for all users - we have very few complaints yet more and more staff wanting to get on board. Those who have been working on it for months have not even got bored of it, we even have non IT staff now designing pages or maintaining their websites. We did have a huge demand though when it came to a VLE, we had one which was aging but did the very basics and that was it - moodle based and sadly only one man was maintaining it (BAR/Grade systems on it though are 2nd to none). We also purchased SecureGateway, Parent Portal and Frog to design our VLE and Website - which I have to admit is fantastic looking. Both have been popular designs when Frog demo to schools. If you consider it, dont be afraid to ask questions - I wont lie it does have its flaws but dont they all.
  22. We use the basic version of sharepoint here, although when we was looking in to webspaces I was able to create student areas. I had to manually create each one though - not sure if the fully paid for version is any different though. The students that started to use it though didnt like the way it all looked and felt.. which was a shame because at the time it was really nice to have. Not over though with Frog which is much better for creating pages I plan on allowing students to create a folder for their own page designs and permissions are very easy to setup. On a huge to do list though.
  23. Frog here, AD/MIS sync etc As Micro says it integrates with other things E.g Vivo (shows their points) and Eclipse (which I will get up and running next week). Frog allows you to very easily create pages and update them, we have an Art Teacher (useless with IT) able to create sites and update them. Recently just shown Health and Social care teacher how to do her own and tomorrow will be showing a PE Teacher how to do his. Very easy to create department areas (I actually cant stress how easy it is). And only allow them access to do their own areas. Frog usually has a demo going some where, we for one will be hosting one early next year. If your really interested contact them and they can tell you the nearest venue.
  24. I along with others have yet to get an iPad or tablet kind of device. Took me a while to decide on an upgrade mobile to the iPhone, do i regret the decision? well to be frank I have nothing new or extra thats been a benefit to me but I have spent far too much time on it. And .... money for apps. I will probably wait till Windows 8, dont think the ipad mini at all is a game changer they have simply shrunk their initial design. The iphone was a game changer (i hate to admit it). Of course it will sell there are a lot of dedicated people who decided to queue up for the latest iphone even though it gave very little extra. Even my other half wants it because she is "bored" of her current 4s, ask her why and that is the answer i get - Bored.... She also wanted an ipad - again ask why.. I get no real answer - so she can better use the internet for facebook... Ack well the latest fab, I thought we was all in financial ruin but people can still spend 300 pound on a device they probably already have but it looks better and maybe a little faster... Edit: Sorry I am not a major in anti MAC but I too am against in buying a new pair of trainers every month, new mobile every 6 months and a new PC every year... a lot of money for something not really needed - my view
×
×
  • Create New...