-
Posts
3,240 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by mthomas08
-
British Transport Police found a tired bee during a vehicle check...
mthomas08 replied to 6Foot2's topic in General Chat
Here we go.. the argument of Transport Police wasting their time to save a single bee vs what bee's do for us. Unfortunately in the GRAND scheme of things saving a single bee really isn't making a difference, that's why there are volunteers and conservationists who do that kind of work. Here is a question, when there is a severe transport problem would you be happy to sit in traffic for 6 hours while a bee is saved or keep the flow of traffic moving? If you are quick to defend the BTP saving a bee you are surely admitting that you are happy to stop what the BTP are being paid to do in favour of a single bee? -
As much as I would too do the same thing and from your own professional development it's very positive. Realistically though there is always the possibility that they may want more. That the hour a day or a week may not suffice, what happens when a serious incident occurs. Are you effectively on call for this other place? Having had an area dumped on to my lap because people didn't listen, luckily enough we got on well with the HT and made an agreement. I can honestly say a lot of places will not fully appreciate that what you do is volunteer work not contracted to do it.
-
Not us, unless it's apart of the IT Setup in the classroom.
-
We are doing Netbooks this year, previously tried different setups but for us Netbooks with Windows 7 is the best system. We've tried Android Tablets but the issues we had wouldn't be resolved by anything but Windows. Keeping in familiar with Windows 7 because that's what most of our system is.
-
Don't forget the twitter feed! It's very useful, I've passed a lot of them on to people I know. It's also a good way to see what the jobs pay and locations.
-
Houses of Parliament - repair, rebuild, decamp or relocate
mthomas08 replied to localzuk's topic in General Chat
In an ideal world it would work like a treat but with people who have zero clue about IT... no chance. Would cost more in training them than the actual equipment/system and they would end up with a personal Technician.. think of that poor soul. Again it's doable and workable solution to cutting down the travel expenses but wouldn't happen.. don't expect politicians to be logical do you??? -
Oh yes... updated music too. This was the first game trailer I was like WOW. First time I saw this it was on a PS Gaming mag CD and fell in love with it right away. FF7 wasn't my first FF, it was my 3rd but it was instantly in my top 3 after 1 hour. Something not many games did in the space of 10 years. I wasn't even a heavy gamer back in those days. Just excuse me while I emotionally prepare my self for that..... death.. again the first ever death that felt like a "Movie" death of O.. M.. G. I will make sure she is out at that time because in 4 years, she has yet to see a single tear out of my eye.
-
You are certainly not the only one excited over this, I've seen Game panels go mad when this trailer was shown (their live reactions were priceless). Twitter also hit a meltdown and the Youtube video has been seen A LOT, last I checked it had 6 million hits compared to the other high ones of 1.5million. Little info has been given, I've seen that they are not just redoing the graphics - that is important. I want better music, if they do voices they have to be better than Advent Children, I don't particularly want any other changes but a few more Story tweaks to add that "Surprise factor" would be nice. Still.... either way I think I will love it just as much as the original. People always say it wont be the same but to me what did I really love? Music - I loved nearly every tune it had. Story - Sublime, Small group against a Corporation (perfect 1997 period too) and then the big bad guy who wants to destroy the world - Perfect! Characters - Loved them all except Cait Sith! But luckily enough he didn't really play a major part often for me. Special mention to Sephiroth who to me is the Darth Vader of Star Wars. Extras - There was a galore of these and the game didn't feel linear. As long as they don't ruin the music/graphics and remove the extras or characters I think I will love it even more so than the original. What I didn't like about FF7 was the sprites used for the characters outside of the battles. Some of the cutscenes even used the sprites.. giant hands... big head and small body.. Still... totally excited and this game is now on my top number 1 list of wants for a game by a mile.
-
Depends if you want them locked? We've looked at lockers which allow small slots to store them: Laptop Ipad Netbooks IT Equipment Storage & Charging Locker Cabinet Unit Lockers | eBay
-
This isn't new to me, not at my current place or my last but I've heard worse. What nags me is there are a few people here who are quick to pretend this "Barrier" doesn't exist. It's as if they live in the clouds.
-
I like the review...
-
Exactly my point. Even if the show went back to the old style, profit wise it wasn't making much, entertainment wise it didn't exist - it was a Factual programme though. Top Gear's popularity went through the roof because of the new format and the characters. They clashed but as you said perfectly. Each character we could usually relate to, you have the Captain Slow who likes to do things properly (cant stress how many of these I've met especially in IT), you have POWER/HAMMER who well... tends to be more of a Football fan and the one in the middle who is the Yank at heart. Still, I will miss the show and can't wait to see what these 3 get up to on what ever channel they go to. I hope it's not Netflix because I don't want to pay for another service which I don't have. Personally I hope it's Sky because I get all those channels. As for the New Top Gear with Evans.. sadly I really don't think I will enjoy it. Especially if it reverts back to the old ways, I found that show far too boring and a bit too "Nature Program but with cars" which is not my cup of tea.
-
Thing is though, kids get injured. They are children. As a kid if I saw a tree, fence, wall or even a pipe I wanted to climb it. What happens when we fall? That's right we get backup after suffering the usual bleeding knee, we get upset but we get over it and learn to be a bit more careful.
-
Been there my self, you don't hear it often but there are occasionally a few. What I usually respond with is "Here I am listened to, I am able to provide you with what you need. In our job those above tend to ignore us but blame us for the problems. If you have your hands tied in your job all day, how do you teach?". I also add the fact that yes some people in my job don't care, don't make the effort and simply want the most amount of pay for the least amount of work. Some are also clueless. Still they get a drink from me when they throw us that type of a compliment.
-
I know 5 people who "Don't like Chris Evans" I for one am one of them. I said it when he was rumoured and I also said it when Chris Evans was the "Star of the reasonably priced car". No it isn't Clarkson but looks like its not any of the original cast. I may give the first episode a try but I honestly don't see my self being so fussed about the show. Some times the shows are more important with certain presenters than the actual show content. And it did work well with those 3.
-
Absolutely spot on. We have i5's for our Media areas and we are sticking to i3's everywhere else. The i3's are doing well considering they are not the worlds most powerful machines. And every time I see the "You get what you pay for" the next thing I think about is our 7-9 Year old machines that are slowing down beyond belief. That's the high spec and the low spec equipment (including our Macs). Can't stress how the 8-9 ones are starting to take forever to turn on and log on, no matter if they cost £350 or £1000 each. IT Equipment does age and will slow down and with limited budget I am considering sticking SSDs in the 7 Year old machines. We've tested a few and for a small cost you bring a new lease of life to the machines. Add on top of that imaging and Windows 7 which again gives them even more life when compared to NON Imaged Windows XP. I never did understand why people insist on spending far too much on PCs that are effectively used 60% of the time like a Tablet with Internet/Word. 95% of all our Department Software doesn't require any high spec machines, outside of Media only 1 PC requires punch and that's my Technicians machine due to what Software he is using.
-
Got a Kingston one at home, 120GB and only my main bits get stored on it, anything else on USB Drive. Don't think I've ever needed anything bigger for that - works a treat.
-
Better safe than sorry? Sometimes I find it's healthy to be paranoid although for me it's making sure everything is perfect (close to it if possible). As for the OP, see what paper work is currently there. When I started my current job there was little to nothing, predecessor essentially wanted out and was gone. Some things I did: 1. Full School Audit of Hardware 2. Classroom Audit - Current state of rooms for IT, can't stress how terrible some rooms were in. 3. Budget plan, see what's been currently ordered in the last 3 Years and was the School getting a good deal 4. Look for simple improvements - Imaging system, virtualisation, server improvements/reliability, network upgrades.
-
Well.. I've not heard anything back from Capita yet. Even a "We are aware of the problem" is something so I can forget about it. Strangely enough the Rep who called me originally to see how I was doing with it has not called back. I don't mind something not working especially when we get it free with our SLG but I would like - try again in a month or, check your provider. We are also having an issue with the Service stopping... although at the moment seems to be working.
-
And there is me going to Thorpe Park soon. Strangely enough, the ride breaking is my dumb joke I tend to pull with the family... usually when we are on it...
-
Did see this and is brilliant, how can you NOT see a tank. No one was hurt and the tank surely wasn't.
-
We currently have it setup so when Staff logon to the laptop, they can then logon to that account at home. The Startmenu etc is all copied locally so there is no difference between Home/Work when it comes to the profile. Only issue is the Staff member must first logon to the domain on that laptop to create a profile. We always remind Staff to do that after we have imaged their machines.
-
[sims] SIMS Learning Gateway - Hosted Version.
mthomas08 replied to william_tropico's topic in MIS Systems
We have it hosted, only problems is if you lose the internet or their system has problems. We've had our fair share of issues on their hosted site, we are relying on the link between their system and our SIMs. I have to say however I prefer them to host it. You gain free the Teacher App (at least we do) which is certainly worth having if it works... ADMIN - Password reseting is a pain, I absolutely hate the expired accounts for inactivity or password age... these are Students and Parents who may/may not ever use IT and we find our selves reseting a lot. We even have a generic email template that we use.... Network Stores - nope we don't use this and didn't know anything about it????? -
PS4 at Christmas if that counts, I don't tend to do Consoles but its something other half can play occasionally.
