Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

mthomas08

Members
  • Posts

    3,240
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by mthomas08

  1. Luckily I had just received my packages 1 week before all this happened. Even though it was delayed constantly...
  2. Thought I would give my penny worth while I am sitting here waiting to go out. It depends on many things, not just what you are responsible for but what the School and Staff expect from you. We have a heavy reliance in my current job, even though there is a few hundred less PCs and laptops compared to my previous job we do have a mobile device scheme. We had no choice but to get a 4th member due to the extra activities that are expected of us. Frankly, non IT Support related work. That alone makes the demand of my team too high to manage with 3 of us. I made this very clear to management that if we are to carry on we would have no choice but to employ the 4th member. Even without the mobile device scheme we would have to look at adding some more PC suites, their reliance will be increased and we would still be expected to go not just the extra mile but the extra few hundred miles.
  3. mthomas08

    F1 Chat

    Glad JB got the seat, best decision really. Although Kevin is showing speed, his consistency dropped off in the second half mainly in the races. Either way I hope JB keeps Alonso honest.
  4. Thanks, that post had a few websites we didn't allow which didn't come to us from kerboodle. We advise users to switch from Chrome to IE depending on what doesn't work. For us Chrome has problems and we advise using IE but we say use Chrome/Firefox on other things. We have tested with all 3 browsers and the issues are consistently there we also have tried different versions.
  5. It's not just us then. We have this exact issue but it also hits other content as well - like you randomly. You can try the same piece of content at any point of the day (at work/home) and it can fail to load. Some times a refresh fixes the problem. This can be during peak times and when no one is on site and again at home too. Doesn't matter what device you use as well.
  6. Maybe I need to be more specific, are you doing the Science sections of interactive content? Our problems are outside of administration and more general day to day usage.
  7. Does anyone use this, if so what problems do you encounter if any? This has been a nightmare for us and we would like to know if we are the only School.
  8. What you mean something that doesn't cost as much but does almost exactly the same?
  9. To be honest I liked it. Looks original to swords. Certainly is down to own style and in all honesty you're not going to see a point in it till the film comes out. Darth Maul had the same comment thrown at his one and we all know why he had that dual sabre. The new guy has a perfect quote (taken from IGN). “To whom it may concern… Get used to it. :)" Boyega (although his response isn't about the light sabre). Edit - could be worse - George Lucas Special Edition version.
  10. I think I know what you mean. When it came to Luke it always felt like he was similar to Anakin before he turned and without that power hunger. After all Luke did wear his dark cloak in return of the Jedi and dressed as black. One thing I never really understood when Old Ben wore more brown/light. Still, I am excited and I was excited when Lucas wasn't involved. He did what he wanted with the originals and the prequels but only the first lot really worked. JJ is a Star Wars fan and what he did with Star Trek was impressive, was only the second one I didn't like because it was non stop action. He did admit he made mistakes on the lens flare with the first one (even though I liked some of it) and he made some on the second one. That was more about the secret.... bad guy... wont say no more. He's still a young movie director but the teaser was pretty good for a movie a year away from release. I get the feeling the CGI isn't quite finished even on the teaser sections. The falcon looked like it needed a tweak but I get the feeling they purposely added cam angles/dark flashing on the teaser to not show too much. Either way... I want to see it now.
  11. That trailer doesn't have the full voice over. I accidently posted in GENERAL and deleted... The dark side and the light is the end of the speech on the other one. Still I like what I see and certainly looks like they are keeping their word and doesn't feel the same as the prequels. And they also have real men in Storm trooper gear instead of more CGI CGI CGI.
  12. Just purchased one to see what I can do with it.
  13. Likewise - We do a Scheme so I always keep my eye open for better options. Not sure what you mean by that, we have an entire year group of Android Tablets and the problems coming back has nothing to do with Android. Unless you mean the cheap as chips Tablets under £100 but again that has nothing to do with Android when buying the lowest spec device.
  14. Have to agree in regards to bulb prices, I use £150 as the average price when budgeting. They are disgusting prices to be fair but like toner the companies know you have no choice. For projectors though I tend to replace old ones instead of worrying about bulbs.
  15. Have to say I completely agree on this one. We all know how difficult it is to police systems like email. Although our level is not terror it's more bullying there has been cases where severity has been higher than bullying. Even if you have filtering/scanning running we all know how to bypass systems like that, especially when text speak can avoid that. I do agree that social networking sites should do more but they are not responsible for the security of the country. I was watching the news last night and it was a politician throwing those arguments and we all know they are clued up on technology... We also know that they are quick to take the blame... I think as always lessons are to be learnt.
  16. mthomas08

    F1 Chat

    Been watching it and they have raised some money already.
  17. I like the name It kind of adds that Star Wars touch. As for awakens it can mean many things, something has been sleeping for a while - who knows. Either way..... I am just as excited as I was before the Phantom Menace came out and I really don't think JJ can do as bad as the Prequels. Even if they don't match the originals they should be good.
  18. mthomas08

    F1 Chat

    Doesn't surprise me at all, sad to say but talk of this team on financial situations have been on/off not long after they started. The specials that have been on the BBC/Sky have also been good, showing that they really had to be careful of every £ they spent. Sometimes they didn't even have the budget for replacement parts or two parts of new upgrades. To enter F1 you really need a massive financial backing, even RBR started low but Red Bull being a global company not just a "drinks company" as Lewis said some time ago Hard state of F1 though...
  19. Alien. It's the first game since Resident Evil 2/Silent Hill 1 to actually make my heart beat fast. Spent the first two hours of the game slowly moving around and with the motion detector you spend even more time walking slowly.
  20. What do we use email for: Email your teacher for help Email IT for password resetting on other systems Scan to email from the printers Email your homework Homework is in your email Email work to your self from home (if you don't have remote access to areas) It's been rare since I have seen this request though, Email today is like their mobile phones and they cant live without. I do remember when the question was being asked if it was even useful for them to have email. Now it prevents Students needing to take 10 sheets home every day or spending an hour writing down in their books what's on the blackboard... that was a time.
  21. We use Xibo to link all the TV screens. Soon all our TVs will have a wall mounted PC which is nice spec, last and look tidy instead of cables every where. I don't like a laptop sitting on the side, I hate cables hanging. If it doesn't look good enough for reception it doesn't look good enough for a classroom I say.
  22. We have done half a switch to RealSmart from moodle. Moodle really is like marmite with Staff, they either like it or not. Those that don't use the same responses mainly based on the outdated look and feel. Unless you have a developer who can really customise it. At the end of the day ask your self what you really want from a platform/vle insert your own term. If your happy with basics an have the time to really develop I would suggest moodle. Otherwise spend a few K a year for a basic one. If you want to go guns blazing and aim sky high have a look at frog. I was in the final steps of releasing this at another school till new management took over who of course were going to listen to their own staff over ours. I did see the platform they chose and sadly that was 5 years behind the times in functionality. Our staff had to take a few steps back to what they could do. So at the end it really is a question of what you want, budget available because something like frog really is a game changer. I would strongly advise seeing other schools in action on which ever purchased product you use. Our realsmart really is lacking a lot and is a lot of money for a simple google interaction. Edit. For under a secondary school site I would advise in a cheap platform and not a moodle site. I would look for the least amount of work vle with little on site.
  23. I never did get the outrage of some one that's not even a fan, JJ wasn't a fan of Star Trek and he certainly gave a fresh approach to it. Some times its a good thing for some one who isn't a fan to be involved in it, really does at a fresh look. Would I be watching it more if Jim Carrey was the doctor? Yes I would. Many thought the current and previous ones wouldn't work and they did.
  24. I went round the entire site during the end of the holiday to make sure everything was done. No unexpected movements.
×
×
  • Create New...