Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

mthomas08

Members
  • Posts

    3,240
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by mthomas08

  1. Read up till the end of "Cant use a computer". I thought all that and the above was spot on, people cant use a computer. If you compare it to a car you are still expected to keep it topped up with petrol, oil, window cleaner. There is also the basic stuff especially with a new car like not pushing it too hard (high revs). You are also expected to know what certain things are under the bonnet so you have a basic understanding. Users don't have the basic understanding except turn on, log on, click on icon.
  2. Exactly and with the way Support staff are treated "You are easily replaced" tends to be the attitude. There is little we can do except all quit education which isn't going to happen.
  3. You know I saw this thinking FINALLY!!! DOWNLOADDDDDDD I cant stress the poor Google Apps great for basics but missing far too many functions to be used daily. BUT BUT there is always a but with Microsoft - after having to use the links above to find the App it turns out "Your device isn't compatible with this version" ... Great a brand new google nexus 7...... Will run on my iPad at the weekend when I have time.
  4. @nephilim I like you, your like me, you deal with facts and provide a ton of information. And what's even better - you actually bothered
  5. Thing is though, a lot do and because they do some Schools struggle for years to pick up the mess left behind or they employ some one who is fresh out of College and has some good skills but may lack the overall skills/experience needed. As an Technician you can deal with the kind of work ranging from PC/Laptop support to networking, servers and budget planning. If things fall apart the School wont take responsibility they will simply look at the IT Staff and blame them. Where as with Teachers they tend to go out of their way to improve the Teachers ability or give TA support and even College Teams support. Where as the IT Staff will be pretty much expected to "Shut up and get it fixed". At the end of the day it doesn't fix the IT System and for Schools like us that rely heavily on IT the kids education is suffering for it. Luckily enough the Head here is seriously willing to listen and at every meeting/month passes I feel like we are getting some where. Yet as discussed in other posts, Union help barely exists for Support Staff but that's a whole different ball game.
  6. We would? what benefits is this? Better pay? Better respect? Better treatment? Not asking that in the mean way but when ever some one says we too would get benefits I always ask, what benefits exactly. Worked in Education a long time at different Schools and the same problems have always existed its just a question of how severe and those problems have had little to do with the Government.
  7. I can't +1 this one enough, this really does sum up a lot and we all know it's true.
  8. Same, Facebook is having a field day though with Teachers posting all day about how hard their job is etc etc etc (at previous job). There are times when I want to at the end of the day post something but I am holding back.
  9. Basic cost is a lot higher last I checked £20K but you are getting more then just a basic VLE. We have gone down the RealSmart route which really does offer the basics and good integration with Google stuff and word press which is all free anyway. And no AD link and no SSO as well which I am not impressed with. This is the 5k ish payment + 4K a year..... You are in a sense paying RealSmart for the portfolio which is very basic but "looks good" when comparing to moodle.
  10. 2.9 Students to a computer but if you include the Netbook Scheme we are more 1 Student per machine. - - - Updated - - - 2.9 Students to a computer but if you include the Netbook Scheme we are more 1 Student per machine.
  11. I send them away saying we don't have the cables and they should email it to them selves, it works I know it does. We have site wide Wifi where its secure, separate and they can use it all they want.
  12. I cant edit the top now I guess the next thing to ask then is Who is an iPad School and what APPs do you use? What issues occur when comparing to laptops/pcs/macs that the Schools use?
  13. No issues here, no proxy server and wifi is separate. Our testing is done we just want to see what other schools have done and maybe what apps they have.
  14. Am I guessing its iPads/Laptops only in Schools?
  15. I am sure in the event of an EMP blast, everyone will still ask IT is there anything we can do to fix it.
  16. Hi All As some may/may not know we have been considering tablets for the next round of mobile devices. We currently run a netbook scheme but because of the work load and "less attractive" we are looking at switching to tablets. We have been testing Android 4.2 devices and the choices along with the prices (starting £120+ roughly) certainly makes a more flexible approach. Just wondering if any other Schools have taken the approach of Android devices (preferably 4.2). If you do, What kind of troubles have you faced? If your in the within 100 miles of South East could we visit? How did you find the transition from software to APPs? What kind of Scheme do you provide? - Do Parents buy through you, What about insurance, Repairs and the day to day support. Do you use RealSmart or something similar (It's pretty much a VLE)? Have you created your own APP, if so what for? If you would prefer to PM me instead by all means, I wont use your name/school if you prefer. Not here to cause a stir just would like the above information Thanks
  17. This is my thinking, plus as for desktop sales W7 works on older equipment unlike vista which asked for more power. Most users buy tablets because they want internet access. Plus there is the bull feedback some users are being told when they are clueless with IT. I have met several people who have been told they should buy mac because they are the best thing for internet access and last ten plus years. Misleading information is also part of the reason people are buying macs instead of buying something that does the job they want.
  18. It's okay, I know some one who got so bored and fed-up. He installed Windows on the Mac and Mac on the Windows PC............ his answer "Cos I could".
  19. Almost as bad as these people who buy a Mac and then install windows on it. Irony..
  20. I'm fine with that, as long as I get to watch it where I want when I want and not just "in my own home".
  21. I have to say this is spot on: “They know how universities work, they know what you have to do to get an A-level, they know about UCAS forms – but they know absolutely nothing about the world of work.” How many of us know teachers that worry about "non" teaching, worry about their EGOs or if they have the latest device of technology and use any excuse to get it. Unfortunately he is doing exactly what WE all suffer, being branded with the same brush. I have known many poor technicians who do their hours, never any more, never go the extra mile for their job or even have that lazy attitude of "I cant be bothered". We can get branded badly thanks to those. Are all teachers the same? nope, I know many who have been called outstanding and go well beyond their job. Sadly I also know some poor teachers who don't prioritise their Students above their own personal gain. *edit I still believe and it hasn't changed from working in a 2nd Academy that a School should be run or have some one Very high up who is business orientated. It is after all treated like a business and has to do well. Instead of it being profit based its simply results based. You can then have a Head Teacher who is simply head of the Teachers and can also concentrate on Teaching and Learning.
  22. I watch more on BBC3 compared to the others put together. Now I only watch Top Gear.
  23. Sounds like as always their is the Political agenda beyond doing the actual job, which is protecting our kids. Having talk to some Parents who know very little about IT they have said they welcomed it and feel more comfortable with it. I also heard one Student who said he hated it. Still at the end of the day they do need to concentrate on the actual goal post instead of worrying about the linesman.
  24. It's strange at my old job they were constantly pestering us, now I've heard from them once. HP though are doing a NS and constantly trying to contact me, email me and their latest clever thing is claiming "To get your discount you need to reply" because I ordered some kit through our supplier. I have confirmed through the suppliers that I don't need to talk to HP at all. I am just waiting for the email with the "Under you need to provide ".
  25. Spot on. No one wants a WW3, No one will go to war with Russia (likewise for USA), Sanction talk is a waste, Hague has no cards on the table. If this was a card game it would as always come down to Russia, USA and China. No one else ever has a deck to compare. As for those 3 we all know they can do what they want and they don't care.
×
×
  • Create New...