-
Posts
3,240 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by mthomas08
-
[movie] Star Wars Episode VII - Spoilers Chat Thread
mthomas08 replied to Dos_Box's topic in TV & Movies
After seeing more than enough posts, reviews and general feeling from people. It's making me want to see it the second time. Having a real amount of time to digest, I can't complain at what we got. Except of course Lucas was right, there are always going to be fans that complain. I spent the time watching some doc programs about Star Wars and learnt even more about the problems Lucas faced. Actually completely sums up why he did what he did in regards to the prequels. Still, the more I think about it the more I can't wait for it be released... more so than the prequels by a mile and a half. Which was always the aim. Apparently the script for the next one is even better... at least we get Rogue One to keep us occupied this Christmas till Episode 8 is out. -
1. I would say how it is, if it's not possible I would say why. Not everything is possible with IT (sorry it's not regardless of what some may say). If a Staff member asked right now and said I'd like a live feed put on my screen of the moons surface like a street cam... well if NASA don't have that I don't think we will either. If things costs money I will add those exact quotations or estimations. If it's something that is possible like going cloud based I will simply weigh up the PROs or CONs and add my own recommendation. I will state the time to switch over, man hours required and down time if any. At the end of the day we can only do what we physically can and although we hold all the keys we don't hold all the decision making. 2. Google it, get companies to confirm. Another good example would be home access to SIMs.Net (not talking about the App or SLG) 1 Year ago it wasn't possible what so ever due to the system setup we had without additional costs. I would double check with my LM if we can be granted additional funds for this, then that's an official SLT no. I would also add if it's something we will look in to usually it's a max 12 month wait for the big things. Like new ICT suites etc. Just now I've had to say no to another loan laptop for a Student because we simply are low on stock and unless I can order more spares, there is nothing I can do. 3. Doesn't bother me, I move on. As a kid I never got what I wanted and had to work hard for anything and everything. There was no silver plate in my life. Sometimes it's not about the no but instead it's how you say it. If you simply say NO because it's not the truth, you simply don't want to waste your breath this doesn't help them feel confident with your ability to say yes. If you tell them it's possible but (insert work load, costs etc) they understand it. Even if it is a no, just say why it's not possible.
-
Staff laptops - does your school still supply them?
mthomas08 replied to birchanger's topic in Hardware
I feel as if laptops are not generally the standard any more. Back ten years ago when most people still didn't have any IT you can understand why but nowadays most do. We don't do laptops here except for ICT/PE Staff and a few others. ICT have their own budget if they wish to upgrade their equipment, I've recently brought PE up to spec so they no longer had a mix of 1-7 Year old equipment. I tend to leave around £4000 in my budget for laptops if I can but I don't generally buy them. If Staff want laptops this tends to go to a Deputy Head and my LM but the general feeling is we don't provide laptops unless they say yes. We have PCs in all classrooms. -
Don't forget pieces of food all over it, I'm sure on the first day back they will "politely" ask for you to clean it let alone doing it them selves and certainly wouldn't blame you for the keyboard not working properly.
-
[movie trailer] Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens
mthomas08 replied to rickjames's topic in TV & Movies
Nothing wrong with going evil.. it's power is incredibly seducing.. as long as you don't have the high ground.. in that case I am not going to jump. -
[movie] Star Wars Episode VII - Spoilers Chat Thread
mthomas08 replied to Dos_Box's topic in TV & Movies
I really enjoyed it. Only scene I had an issue was is how Han returned, so they basically removed his good change of heart for freedom? His love for Leia? And the happy ever after or even a happy period didn't last long did it. He also seemed a bit more goofy compared to the scoundrel I remember who wasn't afraid to talk to the bad guys like "I'm a Pro at this". Still that was it. I actually liked the big weapon part and I was thinking how can they top a planet killer? By a multi planet killer!!! Lets face it, War is always about who has the bigger gun (we learnt that our selves during WW1/2). Also thought Rey was brilliant, she's hot too and can handle her self. I really liked the idea of where did her Force Power come from and it brings that "Myth/Mystic" part back instead... of those stupid... .. I can't use that word again.. "microscopic organisms"..... I was a bit disappointed at how small Luke got but I assume he will have the bigger role in 8. This was the first Star Wars film I had watched since the originals that I actually want to continue the story. During the prequels all I wanted to see was one thing - The rise of Vader - screw everything else I don't care. I wanted to see Anakins demise and Vaders rise... George killed that one for me thank you. Still, I loved it and can't wait for the BluRay version. And the great thing is, I get a BluRay disc that doesn't contain alterations by George Lucas. Cue the addition of "Noooooooooooooo" from Kylo who had just killed .. some one.. Cue the addition of endless amount of CGI characters at every opportunity. And the brilliant wall blocking our view which seems to disappear in the next scene...... p.s I really can't wait till the next one. If they do that right, it could be on par with Empire and I do hope we get a more darker version plus a bit more Phasma/Luke. -
Printing Management - How many users? How many pages?
mthomas08 replied to gwendes's topic in How do you do....it?
Close to 2000 users I would say here, total is around 2.4million in just over a Year. We use Papercut and we've tightened up what they can print. @gwendes I would say that if you are printing 12K-15K that is very excessive but at the end of the day all you can do is tell those above in reports the costs involved. If those above don't care about the printing bill, what can you do. I once had to show a HT some time ago a 32K 3 month bill, let's just say her reaction was beyond shock, she was fuming. The strange thing was, she approached another senior member of Staff and the response was "Oh well, we need to print". Printing is something that has completely got out of hand but you are fighting a losing battle unless you have support from those above. We bill Depts which helps a bit, we've banned Students from doing certain things because we discovered Staff asking them to do it on their behalf to avoid dept charge. It's attitude that needs to change, people still prefer to read on paper instead of on a screen ( I cant blame them but when it costs a fortune ) some people still print emails to "record" even though they can do that. In todays world with all this Technology there really is a lazy approach to paperless society. -
Hi All So, we are only looking at the moment and instead of contacting companies so they can say what we need - I'm asking here. What does Internet Filtering/Firewall cost other Secondary Schools with the below - I will include as much as possible depending if it's cost per device/user: We have around 1500 Students 200 Staff 600 Windows PCs/Servers/Laptops We allow BYOD so this covers- 500 Students with an actual device to use provided by the School Allow Mobile phones and other years to use their own devices, potentially another 500 devices at least. What we are after is an estimated price for Web Filtering which of course allows us to block/allow groups, catergories and sign on option for NON Domain devices. Currently we have LIGHTSPEED provided by our LEA. As for Firewall, this is actually one of few things I've little to no experience with - again all managed by the LEA. Would we need our own box to setup, install and to maintain or would this be provided by a company that can do our Internet Filtering or another company as a annual service? - I'm open to suggestions. Just wondering what other Schools our size do, rough costs mainly to see if it could save us money looking else where. thank you
- 22 replies
-
Hi All Hopefully some one has this answer, Google doesn't know it all. Is there a way to limit groups (particularly Students) from being able to photocopy. We've set a limit to Print Copies to 1 with a script we have but this doesn't prevent the actual facility to photocopy at the MFDs. We've set all users to a number but for Students we want this group disabled entirely. So all they can do is essentially print with their set limit and email to print. Thank you
-
We are being affecting Kent as well I assume.
-
To be honest this is among those times when I can understand the Mac system. If you are already built around Apple it makes sense. As for your 1:1 can I PM you a bunch of questions
-
We attempted the Migration to Linux for "cost saving" but this was before my time. The result? caused a head ache, plug was pulled but the nightmare lasted for a while. I won't consider it, the gains don't outweigh the switch over especially with the annual costs compared to what you are getting. We have things like SIMs and endless amount of software that still require Windows OS's Client/Server side. We've had capability issues in regards to non Windows products. If it's not broke, don't fix it. As already been mentioned a lot of people generally have Windows knowledge. Having advertised IT Technician roles with basic knowledge over the years of what the job entails, 95% of candidates were all Windows experienced and that remaining 5% was Mac. Also +1 mention that if you want to go Apple to spend that amount of money for devices that are essentially Word + Internet usage... well there's been enough threads/posts on this forum that covers everything. If I was forced in to looking I would look at Chrome OS, Google seem to be willing to develop their systems much faster and give customers what they want. At the end of the day I have to consider the big picture, our customers and future proofing.
-
It's a good thing we are not cloud based Currently using this with our Students but because it's locally installed there is no issue. I like having a plan B
-
They are very useful... ... For confusing today's generation who don't know what it is or how to use it. Just explain how you get to the next track.
-
Uni student survey for network managers/cloud services
mthomas08 replied to dyl275's topic in General Chat
Done -
Brilliant, simply Brilliant. If I'm ever in the area a selfie is in order.................... to be honest it is quite funny. Oh wait shouldn't say that, otherwise I am deemed to be supporting assault.
-
Surprised they didn't say why, I've had all sorts of letters from them and it says why. Think I've had two minimal price increases one for Sky Sports and one for BT Sport (it did say why). Still I can't complain too much because I get everything and it's still a cost saver compared to rivals.
-
To be fair, you are wasting your time. If you say anything negative in regards to the Producer you are accused of "Defending assault". Which is utter tosh and crap.
-
I saw this and thought what a load of.............................. what ever next. The stupid thing is, I actually felt sorry for the guy. I'm surprised something had not already been agreed with out of court ages ago but didn't want to press charges but now wants to sue..... Now though.. I got no sympathy for him. I remember some one here said "He probably doesn't want any fuss/bad press".. well obviously now he does.
-
To be honest it's always going to be School based. I had job security for a while until a new boss came along and pretty much depreciated the entire IT Support Team. My current job, new HT resulted in a lot more appreciation for the job. Known a lot of people though that have been effected by educational cuts, also know people in the public sector on far better pay. So I think it's all based on the type of job you go in.
-
Microsoft shrinks OneDrive storage for Office 365 and free users
mthomas08 replied to edutech4schools's topic in General Chat
This is always my concern in terms of Online Storage that they can do this, I've been thinking about using the free stuff for photos etc. Just so I always got a copy (course it doesn't bother me if they get hacked due to me not being stupid enough to take ... naked ones). @localzuk I've heard about them, already been thinking about it. Wasn't too sure we could use it for School data? If we can for 50 euros a month that's an impressive price. -
Depends really, is this a place that could potentially expand even further? If planning ahead to even more equipment, users and IT reliance I would always aim for the moon. The amount of times I was told to "hold back" on things and my gut feeling of going all out was always spot on. One of the things I got in my current job when I turned up years ago was a brand new Virtual Server which cost a bomb and a half but it's been fantastic for our needs for all the "extra" servers we needed. Obviously doesn't include exchange, user data, SIMs.net. Still when it comes to servers, I like the term DHB and DIP (Don't hold back and Do it Properly).
-
Only general thing I can think of is asset management/calendar bookings, could go in to severe detail of all that list you currently got though. I was working on a mind map of what we currently are responsible for and do, it kind of grew too big the software it self couldn't handle it. Only reason I did it in mind mapping software is because it adds that "Fancy" look non IT people really like.
-
My youngest nephew is getting a ton of Marvel stuff, one eing the hulks fists (he already has iron mans) and a few marvel clothes. My niece has some girly clothes and the eldest nephew will get money because I can't afford to buy him Taken King
-
Although you are right working online is less bandwidth but when having everyone doing it, that’s the game changer. We currently have close to 1500 devices all using the network/internet. As a bit more for the whole discussion in general: Again although won't use much bandwidth if "Working Online" the current best connection we have available to us is 200MB Bandwidth. Whereas 98% of our Internal Networking is capable of 1GB > 10GB with some balance offloading through different servers/connections. Can I imaging the whole system potentially going through our Internet Broadband, even if “Online Based”. Even 60% of what we have going through that route is worrying especially at the current infrastructure is not good enough (externally). We've recently had to up our Bandwidth from 50MB to 100MB due to the 50MB hitting cap all day every day and that’s with Internet Browsing mainly. Now we are consistently hitting 75% with that 100MB. We are also reviewing our future Broadband options elsewhere to possibly get 200MB for the same price of 100MB. Still, our current system is based where nearly all data is stored internally: Exchange, Network Drives, Software deployments. This whole “Cloud” idea is one of many things where people jump through hoops for the fancy idea instead of slowing down and thinking more “rationally”. Like many “new tech” ideas, great on paper but practically not ready and ludicrous to think of. I am a full supporter of “All Online”, but one thing I keep hearing is “This is the way forward” well… at the moment it doesn’t seem that way does it. So many times I’ve heard that term and so many times I’ve seen huge U-Turns. Technology is not predictable and the “Way forward” certainly is not easy to predict. One thing I will say though, it’s nice to have options. I personally see us having options for many many years to come.
