Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Geoff

Edu Supporters
  • Posts

    13,543
  • Joined

Everything posted by Geoff

  1. My mistake, I stayed over the summer so everything was a bit quiet there (although a lot of the sport stuff was still going on) hence where I got the impression from.
  2. I've stayed at that campus, it's a sports focused college IIRC so it's not very tech orientated. There's obviously on-site techs but I don't think they are geared up to do the kind of support you are looking for. Why doesn't he go down into Falmouth? I think there's a few computer repair type places scattered about?
  3. Geoff

    Am I weird?

    Yeah then there's the whole minecraft mod scene that adds a whole extra layer of complexity
  4. Geoff

    Am I weird?

    Gameplay > Graphics (I could point to many, mostly indie games, that pull this off). Minecrafts specific gameplay hook is that it allows you to create. At its core it's basically a massive lego set and you can't lose or stand on any of the pieces.
  5. Geoff

    Am I weird?

    Well here's a few YouTube channels I watch: Let's Get On With It! - YouTube Winning Is For Losers. - YouTube YOGSCAST Lewis & Simon - YouTube Jesse Cox, he's hip to the kids! Nagidal's Let's plays - YouTube Storytime with Plump... - YouTube As I said, it's down to the presentation by the streamer. It doesn't matter how awful the game is if the person doing the video does it in an entertaining way. For example:
  6. Geoff

    Am I weird?

    I think I watch more of this kind of thing than actually television programming. You should check out YouTube and twitch.tv there are a vast amount of people making a living from streaming/videoing their gaming sessions and posting the resulting videos on the internet. Just Google YouTube for 'Lets Play' or browse twitch.tv for a little while. Granted it's not something everyone can do, I think you need a certain type of personality and a lot of dedication to do it to the point where you are successful and have a regular viewer base. The elephant in the room for this sort of discussion is eSports. For example, check this out for crowds.
  7. The mobile website is a bit borked, everything else is working ok though.
  8. Works properly in Planetside 2 and any Source based game (TF2, etc), but those the only ones I can think of.
  9. If you 'view source' of the white screen what do you see?
  10. is there anything in the web server logs?
  11. What happens if you disable the Facility to Moodle Block?
  12. Up times are nothing to be proud off, what about keeping your kernel patched! However...do clusters count? I have one here with an 8 year uptime.
  13. It's only ever going to get plugged into my PC.
  14. around £220 is the going price I think?
  15. My current Samsung Pebble SM2232BW on my home gaming rig is on its last legs with an intermittent backlight issue (probably a dry joint). So I'm looking for a replacement. My current usage is gaming, tv/films and general web browsing. I've had a quick google around and the Dell U2412M seems to pop up a lot. Does anyone have any recommendations or has experience with the Dell and could offer some feedback?
  16. Do you have any sort of policies for BYOD such as USB sticks, phones, tablets, etc?
  17. SSL Explorer was discontinued as a free project back in 2008 when they were bought out by Barracuda Networks. There was a fork called the Community Edition based on that and another project called Adito was also forked from this at the time. Adito later turned into OpenVPN ALS. All of these projects are on Sourceforge.
  18. I'd add data protection to that list @GrumbleDook
  19. Just finished up all the quest chains on Sunday and got my exploration and loremaster achievements for Pandaria on my main. Also finished off the Loremasters faction so i got my hoverboard.
  20. Currently using Nagios. Nagios - The Industry Standard in IT Infrastructure Monitoring It can monitor anything you can script for.
  21. I wouldn't use ZFS due to the license issues.
  22. As for Linux filesystems I would stick with ext4 (or ext3 if you are paranoid). Only consider XFS if you have a UPS. JFS is a bit naff and ReiserFS is depreciated and unsupported. BtrFS is worth keeping an eye on too but I wouldn't use it on a production system just yet.
  23. Due to the broadcast issues mentioned above, managed switches will sometimes deem the port the hub is connected to as 'broken' due to a 'broadcast/arp storm'. You will need to turn this functionality off on the relevant ports of your managed switch if it's detecting this problem and isolating the ports because of it. On HP ProCurves it's known as loop protection. Be aware that if you do disable this that you are vulnerable to your network segment being taken out by sloppy network patching. As you're buying hubs rather than fitting extra wall sockets I don't expect you have the change control procedures to prevent this either?
×
×
  • Create New...