Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Geoff

Edu Supporters
  • Posts

    13,543
  • Joined

Everything posted by Geoff

  1. It shouldn't involve the proxy server. You should have an exception for internal IPs/Hosts?
  2. Long term I think IP is the way to go with telephony. It's just so much more flexible and it dovetails nicely into your existing data network. For your specific situation it would depend on how long you want this new system to last? Toshiba is ok as a traditional PBX, not amazing but it gets the job done. The Strata systems have more bells and whistles. I wouldn't bother with a Commercial IP PBX myself. I can do a better job with a DIY solution. I recommend you stick FreePBX on VMWare Player and have a fiddle. It'll cost you nothing other than time and effort and you'll learn a lot.
  3. Ask away and we will answer
  4. Well with my telcoms hat on: 1) They should have a recording of the call (they should be recording everything in a 999 call centre, I do and I'm only selling things). So there should not be any confusion over what was said. 2) Calls can be traced in most circumstances. Either down to the street address on a POTS line or at least to the cell on a mobile network. The only situation where it's impossible to trace geographically is when it's come via Skype, Google Voice or a SIP provider etc. Any reputable service offering Internet telephony wont let you dial 999 via their service specifically for this reason.
  5. Once you have your own app store (Steam) on the android handset you don't have to give Google anything. So Valve is actually undercutting Google.
  6. If only by default as no one else makes an OS for PCs anymore
  7. Don't forget MS posted a loss for the first time ever. Microsoft posts first-ever quarterly loss ? The Register So MS will be under pressure from shareholders to perform and make a profit again. I wouldn't like to be working there atm!
  8. I put v8 on of the Intel Management Engine drivers and it works fine.
  9. I think you are correct. The audio did turn out to be a Realtek High Definition Audio chipset. Their one size fits all 32mb driver package installed ok. Likewise the other device does appear to be a Intel Management Engine device. I'm trying to load up a driver on it now but am being hampered slightly because it needs .NET 3.5 installed(!)
  10. I'm struggling slightly with the drivers for this machine. It comes with Windows 7 and its a requirement that it runs XP instead. There are no XP drivers avalible on the Acer support site. Acer Support: Downloads & Support Documents - Desktop / Veriton / Veriton M290 I have located the drivers for the display, network card and motherboard. However I cannot seem to find the drivers for the onboard sound (listed as "Audio Device on High Definition Audio Bus") or another device called "PCI Simple Communications Controler" (No it's not a modem). Anyone got any ideas where I can get these drivers?
  11. Windows Server 2003 SP1 changed the tombstone to 180 days. Tombstoning only applies to deleted objects anyway.
  12. If there are lots of changes in AD it'll take a little while to replicate over when it first comes back up. It wont service logins until its in sync. In your situation this isn't very likely to be an issue though.
  13. I'd imagine the server is running bukkit.
  14. My current setup is: Buildcraft Buildcraft Additional Pipes Buildcraft sneaky pipes Mystcraft Forestry IndustrialCraft IndustrialCraft Compact Solar Arrays IndustrialCraft Nuclear Control Railcraft Steves Carts Redpower2 Thaumcraft Ironchests Enderchests TooManyItems Wireless Redstone
  15. Its generally a case of unintended consequences of combining different mods items together. The main problem is usually related to EE just to the nature of how it works. Bit you can make some quite ridiculous things with RedPower2 and Enderchests for example too. But really, that's half the fun as well.
  16. I run a non-tekkit mod server, so yes I'm familiar. To be fair to the tekkit folks they have cleaned up their act a lot since the original release. They've gotten permission for everything in the current technik/tekkit pack from the various authors and removed anything that they haven't got permission for. However I prefer to roll my own combination of mods together to make a balanced and fun multi player experience. Things like Equivelent Exchange can break server economy if you are not careful.
  17. Here's a little website where you can check what the purchases associated with your account(s) are worth. AlabasterSlim | Digitally Disturbed Gamer | Steam Calculator
  18. No there is not.
  19. I'm not sure if this is possible but I'd thought I'd ask. I imagine it's a situation someone has come across in a school IT suite scenario. I work in a call centre, we're currently switching to VOIP. Currently they have Avaya analogue desk phones + headsets and use splitters when training new agents up. We're switching this out for Xlite softphones and Plantronics USB headsets. Is there any way to replicate the splitting of the audio between two USB headsets? The machines are running XP.
  20. Cacti is also very helpful if you have a linux box kicking about to run it on.
  21. Once you've set it once you're done.
  22. 99% of the time users complain of slowness and it involves the internet or is a client PC problem. So giving them a faster uplink doesn't do much. The only time GigE help is if you do a lot of imaging, or your users are dealing with huge files (audio, video, images, databases, etc).
  23. Do you actually need 1Gbit to the desktop?
  24. Geoff

    Power surges

    I'm over the motorway at Matrix.
  25. Geoff

    Power surges

    Did you have a surge last night? I'm only down the road and I lost a switch about 5am?
×
×
  • Create New...