Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Geoff

Edu Supporters
  • Posts

    13,543
  • Joined

Everything posted by Geoff

  1. lookup the whois, find the DNS servers the domain is registered with and query them directly for the domain. If they don't know what is going on then you registrar hasn't fully processed the domain registration yet. If they do, you are at the whims of your local DNS administrators cache timeouts. Try using google/opendns if you are impatient.
  2. Can explain exactly what you are trying to do? Which machine account? The local one? Authenticate to do what? Connect to a share? A printer? Interactive Login?
  3. Geoff

    School Minecraft server

    I think classroom edition covers you for unlimited use in school for 30 euro.
  4. Personally at home I've switch to OpenNIC DNS servers.
  5. In my experience the police do not have the time, expertise or will to investigate on-line harassment.
  6. It depends what level you are dealing with. The times would have to match (plus some records either side too for good measure) for it to stack up in court (although civil courts requirements are less than a criminal court). Preferably with an independent expert backing up the methodology and conclusions (I offer reasonable rates btw. ) To chase the issue internally (anti bullying policy) as long as you are satisfied yourself with the reliability of the information I don't think there would be an issue. No doubt you could ask for a second opinion from your LEA.
  7. It's libel, not slander. It's a civil offence and therefore nothing to do with the school so the people who believe they have been the victim of libel should go talk to a lawyer and go to civil court if there's sufficient grounds for a successful prosecution. The school could get dragged into court if such a thing went ahead though. The school could act on its own if this falls under the remit of your anti bullying policy. However as you've already said, you don't have sufficient evidence to point fingers. Plus Virgin probably wont tell you anything about that IP without a court order. On a more technical note, do you have any internet facing services uses by your staff/pupils that requires login and records ips? Such as a web server or email system? You might already know who was behind that IP at the time and not realise it?
  8. Active Directory-integrated domain name is not displayed in DNS snap-in with Event ID 4000 and 4013 messages
  9. What is in the server event log in/around when DNS starts up after a server reboot?
  10. Is the DNS server running zones that are AD integrated or not?
  11. run netdiag and dcdiag and post the output
  12. I've had to edit the registry key for the service start location on some servers to make it work. But no issues other than that. See this bug report. Issue 54 - eventlog-to-syslog - eventlog-to-syslog install win server 2008 r2 x64 Note - Eventlog to Syslog Service for Windows (2k, XP, 2k3, 2k8+) - Google Project Hosting What is the problem?
  13. Ah I misunderstood. You want to dedicate 100mbit to the site to site connectivity all the time?
  14. eventlog-to-syslog - Eventlog to Syslog Service for Windows (2k, XP, 2k3, 2k8+) - Google Project Hosting
  15. To connect your sites run VPNs over leased lines. You are looking at about £1,100 a month for 100mbit depending on location, provider, inplace infrastructure and what SLAs you require.
  16. I would suggest you move the web services over to the new connection, and just have a 301 redirect at the old url. The gateway stuff doesn't matter if you do a redirect.
  17. You can also just grep the squid log file for blocks surely? That way you don't have to ask anyone anything or alter any code/config?
  18. files are just tarballed and rsynced somewhere else. databases are exported to files (eg, mysqldump for MySQL systems), tarballed and rsynced separately.
  19. I'm having trouble tracking down an E1 crossover cable. Anyone know where I might find one.
  20. Geoff

    LinkedIn Hacked

    run: unset HISTFILE before you run any 'sensitive' commands. This will disable the command history being recorded to file for the session.
  21. I have implemented FreeRadius on Linux for this in the past. Is that helpful or do you require a Windows solution?
  22. Try Dorgem - Open Source Webcam Capture Application Ancient but it works™
  23. although you can turn it off Enable and Disable Ubuntu Root Password I usually do this when I'm doing the initial setup. Once the server is deployed on the network I use SSH keys.
  24. So tempted! But knowing my luck the price will go down loads more as soon as I buy one.
  25. Geoff

    LinkedIn Hacked

    false positive, it's probably taking a dislike to the Javascript.
×
×
  • Create New...