Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Geoff

Edu Supporters
  • Posts

    13,543
  • Joined

Everything posted by Geoff

  1. One thing Lync does will is the integration with the rest of the MS product line. If you do have Exchange/AD/Office/etc then there's nothing that can touch it.
  2. Took about a day to get right. 10% doing the install and system setup, 10% was getting the polycom desk phones configured, the remaining 80% of that was setting up phone extensions and CallerID stuff because people didn't know what they wanted. I have to go change callerids and phone numbers about once a week because someones moved desk or whatever. I do know asterisk based systems very well, without that background knowledge I'd guess it'd take you about a week to get a system right. Maybe longer if you had SIP desk phones or an ISDN card to setup too. But the vast majority of the setup is basic data entry and config work. Basically out of the box you get a working Office PBX with very little effort. Also remember you can just throw it on a VM and play about.
  3. Geoff

    BT Outage

    Probably a leaky roof. They never look after the exchange buildings well and they are all 70esque eyesores with flat roofs.
  4. FreePBX for the office.
  5. In an AD environment you generally setup the NTP settings on a GPO somewhere. Generally I use a GPO tied to the Domain Controllers Container. If it's just a single server setup then just set it manually: net time /setsntp:uk.pool.ntp.org and restart the w32time service. net stop w32time && net start w32time you can check its working via net time /querysntp
  6. Geoff

    BT Outage

    As so you are still relying on the BT network via a 3rd party reselling BT wholesale. Rather than using another network (TalkTalk, C&W, Virgin, etc)?
  7. Geoff

    BT Outage

    Who do they use in lieu of BT then?
  8. Got to spend money to make money (you've not seen the phone bills either from my SIP trunks!).
  9. I place tens of thousand of calls a day over SIP. I also take thousands of incoming calls. Never an issue.
  10. LancsNGFL block access to external NTP (amongst other things).
  11. Was, last time I used them, the following: ntp0.lancsngfl.ac.uk ntp1.lancsngfl.ac.uk
  12. I think someone's got the right idea.
  13. Geoff

    World of Tanks

    I beta'd it. It's a fine game. It's based on the freemium model. Because of the way they've done it (pay to win basically) there are a couple of things I don't like. * Some of the best items ingame are unattainable despite long term players having them (some of the tanks) due to limited time based promotions. * Some of the other best items ingame can only be bought with real money and not earned. (the gold ammo is the worst culprit here) If that kind of thing doesn't bother you then go for it.
  14. Geoff

    BT Outage

    For £2500/month I should hope so.
  15. Geoff

    BT Outage

    We get cash back as part of the SLA for outages. So that never happens.
  16. Geoff

    BT Outage

    Only when two providers go down.
  17. Geoff

    BT Outage

    Fail over kicked in and brought up the second line. Never noticed a thing
  18. Proxy should honour the expiry time on the HTTP headers though! Or at least a force refresh from it's clients browsers.
  19. I appear to be on fire, is that normal?
  20. Yeah I'd prefer a VPS.
  21. Cool, I was thinking of running a server myself. I find vanilla MC a bit dull after playing it so much. So the plan is to have a modded server. I think if I go down the craftbukkit route I am limited to using it + it's plugins. Where as if I customise the jar/etc then I get more flexibility as to what I can run but generally minecraft hosting costs more for custom jars. That reminds me, does anyone have hosting recommendations? Either specific Minecraft hosting or just general VPS hosting?
  22. Any updates for the mobile site btw?
  23. Plus you don't have to worry about people brute forcing your LDAP.
  24. The other option is to do it over a VPN between the moodle server and your LAN.
  25. Drawception - The social picture telephone game! It's picture telephone, you are either shown a phrase or a picture and it's your job to draw the phrase or properly phrase the picture. It randomly assigns each step to someone when they click the big "play" button at the top. Once a game ends, you are given a link to see the whole chain and see how well you did. Its good fun and its quick.
×
×
  • Create New...